Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 11-01-2001, 04:28 PM   #1
Taxman
Banned

Cool Different O/S...very different result?

Firstly, I couldn't send my first post without saying what an awesome achievement Jim's virtual aquarium is. I still remember fondly the first time I clapped eyes on that gorgeous yellow tang gliding smoothly across the screen......!!
Anyway, to the point. I currently run a dual partition system with Windows98 running alongside Windows XP. It is apparently obvious however that my video card favours Windows 98 over XP!! The frame rate on the aquarium runs at about 130 on 98 as opposed to 75 on XP? I've tried all manner of drivers to no avail. I also found this with Windows 2000. 3DMark2000 confirms that my card runs significantly better on Windows 98.

System spec is:
P3 450
256Mb RAM
Geforce 2 GTS

I'm currently using the XP drivers as the so called 'latest drivers' performed even worse! Any thoughts?
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 04:45 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I've seen a lot of replies on this issue (the search engine works wonders now), but I haven't heard much success.

You can try downloading NVMax from http://www.nvmax.com/ and turning off Vertical Sync (Vsync).

You might also try this utility:
http://www.planetquake.com/ztn/nvreffix/nvreffix.html
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 05:53 AM   #3
Bright

Mircosoft has a problem with WinXP. Several testers have reproduced a drop in speed of 50% from WinNT/Win2000 to WinXP. M$ tries to reproduce, but cannot pinpoint the problem. I think we will have a service pack soon ...
So, just relax and wait for an update for WinXP...
Old 11-05-2001, 02:25 PM   #4
Taxman
Banned

Smile Wise words indeed!

Thanks for the replies guys! Managed to squeeze the fps up to 90 after installing NVMax and nobbling the V-sync (just wish I knew what the hell all the other tweaks actually do!! - maybe someone should start an idiots guide to graphics cards?) Don't get me wrong I'm pretty happy with the performance (after all my system's hardly cutting edge by today's standards!). It's just nice to know why these things occur, and lets face it we all want to squeeze just that little bit more out of what we've got - don't we?
You're not calling yourself 'Bright' for nothing mate !! I think you've hit the nail on the head - there has to be something not quite right with XP when I've done a direct comparison using identical hardware. I don't believe it can just be down to the drivers or card settings.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive