Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-08-2004, 10:41 AM   #101
drfish
the Doc

I think nvidia cards are the only ones that can do that right now... Haven't figured out how yet... But I do have 7 nvidia dual monitor setups at my disposal... Now if people would only stop using them for work!!!

Also, here's the cheapest dual dvi card I found on newegg, just because... Even though I don't have an LCD yet I sure wish everyone would start putting dual DVI on all dual monitor cards... I mean, why not?
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:57 AM   #102
cjmaddy
Registered

Jim,
With this latest improvement in FPS, I can now usefully run with 1152x864x32. - That, together with those gorgeous new fish, now makes MA2 MD definitely, - the best yet! ........ just thought you'd like to know!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:00 AM   #103
surfer
Registered

Jim,

The new version is fantastic. The reworked fish have now gone from just OK, to some of the best in the Aquarium.

Thank you for including the option to adjust the anamorphic ratio. In the widescreen mode I find the tank to be very roomy, but in the default anamorpic ratio of 0.8000 the fish are just a little too small. By adjusting it to 0.9500 it gives the tank a little more room and the detail of the fish is eaiser to see - the perfect compromise . My monitor is a 19-inch CRT and the resolution is 1280x960x32.

By the way, this might be helpful to others. I just found out on a 4x3 ratio monitor to keep the image and text from stretching 1280x960 is the correct resolution, not 1280x1024 that is commonly used.

Jim / Edgar - there is one minor suggestion I would like to make, not a big deal really, but wouldn't it make more sense to switch the locations of "Don't duplicate random choices" and "Fish info" in the fish tap. It just seems like a more logical location to keep the "Don't duplicate random choices" with the fish selection window.

Thanks for creating the best screen saver ever made. Also for the improvements you continue to make. Many developers would have been happy with your original version and left it there - but not you. You are truly an artist.

Last edited by surfer; 03-08-2004 at 10:21 PM.
surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:35 AM   #104
feldon34
Forum Administrator

drfish,

Turning on spanning on nVidia cards is tricky. It makes your 2 monitors act as a single display. This means the Windows taskbar stretches across both. It's kind of annoying to do this just to get the Aquarium stretched.

https://www.feldoncentral.com/forump...aldisplay3.jpg

Now what would be awesome is if the Widescreen version could be slightly zoom/cropped (shouldn't lose any coral at the top) to fill 2 screens. One can dream, can't he?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:45 AM   #105
Jim Sachs
Developer

surfer -

Edgar has been handling the coding for the user interface, and we're in danger of never releasing this thing because of "feature creep", so I think your suggestion will have to wait for the next round of revisions.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:46 AM   #106
bugsymcd24
PC Professional

hey feldon..where in the nvidia setting did you find those settings? I can't find it and i wanted to try that...thanks...
bugsymcd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:57 AM   #107
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

It depends on the capabilities of your card. Nvidia drivers are all inclusive and only the options that pertain to your card are displayed. If you aren't set up or don't have a card that will handle it, you might not see the options.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:17 PM   #108
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I think it has to be an nVidia card with 2 VGA outputs on it.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:23 PM   #109
drfish
the Doc

All the systems I have here have dual VGA built into the mobo...
Old 03-08-2004, 12:24 PM   #110
cjmaddy
Registered

Why would you want to stretch (grossly distort) a 5x3 image across 8x3? - Jim and Prolific must be doing their heads in!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #111
drfish
the Doc

We wouldn't want to keep it that way... I just want to see if I can get it to work...
Old 03-08-2004, 12:33 PM   #112
cjmaddy
Registered

That wasn't aimed at you drfish, we posted together! it's just my general observation of the "It'll do!" mentality!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #113
bugsymcd24
PC Professional

ok i got it to work, my nvidia has dual outs... it is a function of nview, i also had to download the latest drivers.. but I did get it to stretch across both monitors.. the resolution is not too distorted (stretched looking) and after messing around with a few adjustments got it to look pretty good, but yeah, i don't think I will leave like that, it does look cool to see the fish swim from one end to the other across two monitors....LOL
Old 03-08-2004, 12:54 PM   #114
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

drfish, BigScreen, et all, I like where this thread is going! Please keep fiddling around with all those monitors and posting the pics here!

Morgan, that's an old (and very bad) photo. Shouldn't the new version be able to give you the black bars or is that already in the correct aspect ratio?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:55 PM   #115
bugsymcd24
PC Professional

but.....boy oh boy..sharks does not like span mode across monitors..it just plain tells you it is shutting down....arg...LOL
Old 03-08-2004, 01:04 PM   #116
cjmaddy
Registered

Patrick, - That would just make it even more distorted!
Old 03-08-2004, 01:24 PM   #117
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Oh, your right, he is already running the wide version in there. At first glance I thought it was the regular version. So what could he do to make it look better?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:07 PM   #118
cjmaddy
Registered

That depends on the definition of 'look better'! - I don't think any attempt to spread (not stretch), across two monitors is going to look satisfactory. As Morgan suggests, a zoom & crop approach is the only way to retain the correct ratio, but IMO that would lose too much background.

I just don't see the need/reason/point to distort pictures for the sake of filling a different shaped space!

What ever happened to having/doing a thing correctly? - Why don't we just leave well alone, - it's perfect as it is!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:14 PM   #119
drfish
the Doc

What we need is one of these, no seam down the middle, run the wide screen version in the middle with vertical black bars on the ends... That's the way to do it... Plus, when the double wide 3D background comes out... If I had the money... Too bad it's only two 15" screens, dual 19" or ever 17" would have me thinking about it seriously for the future...

Edit: Hmmm... After looking at the larger image, maybe there is a seam, too bad...

Edit 2: Yuck, reviews are not favorable, nevermind...
Old 03-08-2004, 02:29 PM   #120
Liath
Still here in spirit

Wow! I disappear for a few days and miss the big news. Thanks Jim! Looks fantastic!
Liath is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive