Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Sharks: Terrors of the Deep
Notices

Old 03-25-2004, 07:33 AM   #121
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I seem to have started something of a movement here. Nice work YT!
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 08:06 AM   #122
Sergiales
Software Engineer

Interpolation is your friend
Sincerely,
Sergio.
Sergiales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:04 PM   #123
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by Yellow Tang
I had something like this in my mind (made with SmartMorph, thanks Cliff):
Another satisfied customer!

ps, Nice work!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 02:39 PM   #124
ROBinLA
Registered

Embarassed Any idea when an update for sharks might come?

Please please with sugar on top?
ROBinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 05:02 AM   #125
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I found this picture on Yahoo! of the Okinawa Chura Aquarium in southern Japan. Looks really cool and adds to the point of STotD needing whale sharks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo00.jpg (76.9 KB, 304 views)
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:49 AM   #126
drfish
the Doc

...some day I will go there...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:51 AM   #127
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Now that's a tank . Thanks for the pic.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:53 AM   #128
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Wow, that's cool! Oh how I would love to see that in person.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:31 AM   #129
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Ditto, I wonder how many gallons are in that tank?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:54 AM   #130
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Had a talk with Google and we came up with the round figure of 1.7 million gallons of water. Another source claimed it contained 7,500 tonnes of water which would be the same as 7.5 million litres which in turn would mean a gallon was ~4.4 litres – definately feasible numbers.

Apparently the aquarium has the largest piece of acrylic glass panel in the world as the main window:
height: 8.2m/27'
width: 22.5m/75'
thickness: 0.6m/2'(!).

I'm drooling with Doc, btw...

/Tiny Tank
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #131
klyntun

Thanks for the info, Tiny. My question was whether that was all one sheet of acrylic. I guess we haven't perfected transparent aluminum yet.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:36 PM   #132
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Well, technically no (I think). Evidently a Japanese company/inventor has figured out a way to make the glue joint completely transparent. Then again, is it still a "sheet" when it's two feet thick?

/Tiny Thickness

Old 04-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #133
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Even with that much water, as you can see those 2 whale sharks are likely to be juveniles. Still, there's a LOT of fish in there.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:14 PM   #134
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

There are formulas already in use that are for joining 2 sheets of that thickness. They don't leave a "totally" invisible joint but they are near that. If you stand right at the joint and look from a diagonal perspective you can still see the seam. Visit a local aquarium near you and you will see what I am talking about.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:22 AM   #135
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

DL,
Maybe you could calculate on how many inches of fish one could put in that one

Old 04-07-2004, 06:52 AM   #136
Liath
Still here in spirit

I was told (a quick google search provided no info.) that the same Japanese company is responsible for the Monterrey Bay Aquarium. Apparently their "seamless" technique is so secretive, and they kept their work so hidden, that the folks at the aquarium don't even know how it was done.
Liath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:08 AM   #137
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

It is mechanically sealed. Cell phones are starting to use this same technique.
It is not so much a secret as it is simply not that amazing.

A device that directs a very high frequency mechanically bonds to similar materials at the molecular level, sometimes they use heat. It can be stronger than the object itself in some cases. The secret for them is probably the way they apply the heat or agitator to such a large object, which is impressive. But the odds are it is will done the same way, just bigger.

Just search on mechanically bonded or hermetically sealed and you will find lots of articles on it.
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 01:11 AM   #138
SteelJaw
Registered

Cool

Greetings all! Hope it's not too late to post here...

I downloaded the beta demo of the Terros of the Deep screensaver, and I like it a lot. I've been obsessed with sharks for /way/ to long, and I've been hunting for something just as this!

A couple things I'd love to see added, if possible:

Common Thresher Shark (Alopias vulpinus)
Sandtiger Shark (Carcharias taurus)
Sandbar Shark (Carcharhinus plumbeus)
Horn Shark (Heterodontus francisci)
Whitespotted Bamboo Shark (Chiloscyllium plagiosum)

[To be honest I was hoping the last two would be included in MA2 or an update for it, at some point. That's what actually lead me to finding TotD ;> ]

I'm also happy to help find or provide references if needed for shark species. I volunteer at an aquarium, and can get loads of pictures/video.

I really like the look of the program so far, and I'm seriously considering purchase after it leaves the beta stage and goes production. The only thing that really bothers me about what I see so far are some anatomical flaws in the shark models. (I'm happy to discuss this further, but I'm a bit nervous, as this is my first post and I don't want to rock the boat with unwanted criticism)

I'll be keeping a close eye on the developments of this project! It's really refreshing and encouraging to see the actual creators, developers and publishers of the software so active here.

Down and gone,
~SteelJaw

"[Las Vegas] is a city built on the broad shoulders of bad math." --Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller
SteelJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:43 AM   #139
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Hi SteelJaw and welcome aboard!

I think your input on anatomical flaws in the sharks would be appreciated. As you say, the creators are active here and have previously shown terrific interest in what us beta testers have suggested.

/Tiny Thresher

Old 05-07-2004, 07:16 AM   #140
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

SteelJaw,

Welcome!

You may want to post those flaws now and if possible show the pictures of what it should look like, if you want the changes to make it for the next release.

BTW, buying "Sharks: Terrors of the Deep" while in Beta might be a good idea. The price will go up when it goes to full production.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Sharks: Terrors of the Deep