Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want a beta test?
Yes, of course 75 98.68%
No, I like to wait 1 1.32%
Whats latin got to do with it? (Unsure what a beta test is) 0 0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2003, 07:27 PM   #21
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

Jim, are the Siamese fighting fish going to puff up and get angry from time to time?? They really only do that when confronted with another. If you allow us to have two fighting fish in the tank, what you could do to make them act real is to have them avoid each other and every once in a blue moon, have them puff up and almost start a fight. That would probably take a lot of programming though. That alone would make me want to buy your aquarium. The funny thing is about beta's, is that in tank full of other fish, they get scared of the little guppies. And if you do have beta's, a blue and a red male would be great. And the colorless female. Also making the Beta's act more real, would be how they always go up to the top and make bubbles for air when they are preparing to mate. It's going to be a treat to download your freshwater aquarium. I know I won't be dissapointed. These are just suggestions, I won't be dissapointed if the beta's just swim around and look pretty. =) Oooh can't wait.
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail"-W2
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 07:30 PM   #22
kona001

And yes, I'd love to beta test a tank with beta's, or any other freshwater fish =)
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail"-W2
Old 01-01-2003, 08:49 PM   #23
Jim Sachs
Developer

I know that some fans have suggested that Betas would be able to mix in with regular tropical fish, but I've never actually seen this done. I'll have to do some more research on it.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:56 AM   #24
Swede
Registered

Here is one impressive Betta resource site:

Betta Talk

It seems that Bettas can be mixed with other species but not without problems for the Bettas involved...
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//

Last edited by Swede; 01-02-2003 at 07:01 AM.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 05:51 PM   #25
kona001

Ahh yes, if you do find what kind of fishes beta's can mix with, you could lock it so you can only choose the beta either by itself, or with those compatible fish. I know they get along with pearl gourami's and bigger goldfish. Loaches also didn't mind them much. The thing is you can't have a powerful filter with a beta in the tank, they get sucked into the filter because they prefer still water. What I had was two filters meant for 5 gallon tanks in a 20 gallon one and a bottom gravel filter. I had 1 big redcap goldfish, 2 smaller black moors, and 3 pearl gourami's. I had 2 male beta's in the tank and one female. They did puff up when they came in contact with each other, but they never attacked or hurt each other. If anything, they were just scared of the big goldfish, and not the little ones or the gourami's.

You could have a big redcap goldfish in the tank similar to the size of the lionfish. And even act like the lionfish, most big goldish are big because they get fed too much, and are always opening and closing their mouths looking for food. That in a tank with some smaller goldfish too would give it a very realistic effect. If you were planning to have goldfish at all. The pearl Gourami's have always been the calmest creatures of all the fish that I've ever had. The blue gourami's have always been aggressive, and the dwarf and giant gourami's are even more aggressive.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:46 PM   #26
drfish
the Doc

I hade a pair of small honey gourami's in a tank and I added a Betta to it, not a good idea! The betta attacked the female honey and popped her eye out! I was devestated, she was such a cute little fish! He fought with the male too and I took the betta out right away and put him in his own tank. I think they only fought because they were similar in size and related. I have never had a problem keeping Betta's in tanks with anything that isn't closely related to them though. Also, female bettas fight with each other too! Get a bigger size tank if you want them to live happily.
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 06:54 PM   #27
dennisberman
Registered

Angry

Happy New Year.

Any word on fresh water beta?

Thanks!
Regards,

Dennis Berman
dennisberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 08:02 PM   #28
Jim Sachs
Developer

Happy New Year to you, Dennis.

I'm working steadily on the Freshwater Aquarium. Bits and pieces are starting to look pretty good.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:32 AM   #29
kona001

Yikes drfish, your beta poked your gourami's eye out.

I guess I had two nice beta's in my tank. It looked like they were scared of all the other fish most of the time. ( Probably they were scared of a giant redcap goldfish I had which was constantly opening and closing its big mouth. Especially since I would feed it morsals of food balls about the same size as the beta's) By experience, honey gourami's have been the weakest of all the gourami's I've had. However the blue ones seem to be the ones that live the longest of all the different types I've had. My friend has had Pearl's in his tank for a long time though, and they survived a power outage while all the other fish in the tank did not survive. So from years of experience with gourami's, I'd have to say Blue's and Pearl's are stronger than the kissing gourami's and the honey. Honey being the ones you want in a tank without other gourami species and never alone.

Now, back to beta's. Honey gourami's did get attacked by Blue and Giant Gourami's when I had them in the tank. I did seperate them and bought a new tank for the honey's because i felt sorry for them. I can imagine the beta you placed in your tank fighting with your honey gourami. I'm wondering if you had the honey gourami all by itself, or in a school of three or more. That would make a difference since they always like to travel in groups thus the beta would have been less likely to attack it.

DrFish, hope I made some sense, it's really late over here and I'm passing out. Soo many things happen when it comes to fish tanks that it's very hard to determine a behavior pattern to a group of fish when they each seem to have their own unique personalities sometimes. I starting to think I had two beta's now which were unique, since they seemed to be OK sharing a tank with other fish.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:47 AM   #30
memilm
Registered

I allways like the bettas and I think it will be fine, if by the fish settings will be an option to allow Betta - one male and one or more females, and when this fish are selected, the other species will be disabled.
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:58 AM   #31
drfish
the Doc

kona, I had the pair of honey's in the tank and I think there was also a small school of neons, three corys and and three ottos. It was overcrowded for sure, but it was my first real tank, that was what? Like 8 years ago? Something like that anyway... Before I went all Tanganyikan...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:56 AM   #32
Rich
this is me,and only me.

Hi
I am new to this forum..
just been reading some of the reply's.. and topics..
Thought I would share my experiences with betta fish, or better known as siamese fighters... I am several each of course in its own tank, a red, a blue a black and a white, and each being a different type of betta, a long tail , a short tail, and a couple of crowns, which are the most vicious of the species, but all being very placid to all other aquarium fish....
Wouldnt it be grand to have ur choice of fighter and colour of the fish ? even if it was the only fish in the aquarium, it would make me very happy to have, maybe an option to even be able to feed the fish at the push of a key?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:05 AM   #33
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Hi Rich,

can you give us some pictures of your bettas? Would be nice.
And welcome to the forum.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:47 AM   #34
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Ditto, I would like to see some small photo's of what you have, and like YT said; Welcome to our Forum.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:02 AM   #35
Rich
this is me,and only me.

how do I post pictures in the forum?
Old 02-03-2003, 04:10 AM   #36
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

If you click on the "post reply" button instead of writing your reply in the Grey "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of this page a new page will open up. On it you will find a "Attach file" option with a "Browse" button where you can choose a file on your computer to upload. Note that you can only attach one file per post. If you have a picture already on the internet you can insert it (and as many other as you like) in your post by clicking on the "IMG" button on the same page as previously mentioned. Just type (or paste) the correct address for the image in the small window that pops up and you're set to go!

/Tiny Tutorial
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:48 AM   #37
Rich
this is me,and only me.

siamese fighter

ok here guys
this is my favorite fighter

thx turtle for the help also
much appreciated
sorry for the low quality pic, but its difficult to take a good pic when the darn fish wont pose long enuff to have photo taken.
will try to get pics of the other fighters ..
but enjoy this for now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg siamese fighter#1.jpg (14.6 KB, 388 views)
Old 02-03-2003, 05:27 AM   #38
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Being something of a Betta-illiterate, how large do these guys grow? The ones I see at the pet store have a two-inch body – is that a "normal" size?

/Tiny Betta
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:22 AM   #39
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Rich,

You did fine with that photo. Thanks for not making it a huge one.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:30 AM   #40
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

A bit tattered? The pic was taken just after a big fight, I suppose.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium