Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #1
marcusgi
Registered

Windows 10 Technical Preview 9879

Anyone got MA3 to work on Windows Technical Preview 9879? I get the error the program has stopped working. Anyway to force it to run in compatibility mode?
marcusgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

They are on Windows 10 already? I'm still on Win 7. (OK, I'm really still on XP.)
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
harris
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
They are on Windows 10 already? I'm still on Win 7. (OK, I'm really still on XP.)  

Microsoft skipped Windows 9, going from 8/8.1 straight to 10. They are probably thinking the further away they get from 8/8.1 the better off they will be.
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
marcusgi
Registered

funny

You know, times do change... Windows 10 is basically things from Windows 7 that are great plus the Metro look with Microsoft Apps from Windows 8 in the Start Menu. I resist change by using a program to make Windows 10/8 look like windows 7, its called Start8. However, MA3.3 works on 8.1, not 10. My hunch is that its not able to handle the *.scr file. But I don't see a way to put it in a compatibility mode. hey, you developed the screen saver for Ipad, what's next? ha ha
Old 01-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
hillover
Registered

Is there a commitment to make MA3.x work with Windows 10?
hillover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

I think it unreasonable to expect a program to last through.. what, a dozen versions of Windows. Try running Office 97; AutoCad 12; WordPerfect7; QuatroPro: Solidworks9.. all programs that have been made redundant by yet another version of Windows. I think Jim's Serene Screen has stood the test of time very well considering the size of his development team and research budget.

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #7
Jim Sachs
Developer

I do all the writing of the actual program. Edgar does Windows tweaks. Jim O'Connor did the iPhone/iPad conversion (that one is still stuck at MA2.6). A Japanese company named Acrodea did the Android conversion.

If Win 10 still supports DirectX, then it shouldn't be hard to get the Aquarium to run on it. If it doesn't support DirectX, then every program which uses graphics or sound will break.

Bear in mind that we get NO help whatsoever from Microsoft (or acknowledgement that we even exist). I tried to get into the Xbox dev program the other day and was turned down flat.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #8
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

They have probably read the forum off and on over the years after the beginning Jim, and didn't like the comments. Honesty hurts I guess................
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I read somewhere that Windows 10 has DirectX 12.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #10
hillover
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I do all the writing of the actual program. Edgar does Windows tweaks.
If Win 10 still supports DirectX,.  
Windows 10 will support DirectX. And the problem stated by marcusgi above is unlikely to be related to DirectX. And, regardless of opinions of Microsoft, they certainly do not intend to break a lot of 3rd party software (hence the Technical Preview)

Is there a commitment to try to get MA3.x to work under Windows 10?

And is the plan to look at this before the production release of Windows 10? Or to just wait and see if MA3 works, and .............?

Please note that I'm trying to politely ask about the support plan.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

As with Win8, we'll wait and see if it works and deal with issues as they come up.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
marcusgi
Registered

Great News

I just updated windows Tech Preview 10 version 9879 to 9926 and MA3 works like a charm!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

Glad to hear it!
Jim Sachs
Old 01-27-2015, 02:03 AM   #14
flip
Registered

I will not worry about it until I get W10 about 1year after its release and, by then there should not be any problems at all getting it to work.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #15
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

lol @ flip. sounds like my outlook on things. Let everyone else find out how good/bad an OS is and wait till they have the bugs worked out, then decide.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #16
feldon34
Forum Administrator

People sure are demanding these days. $20 and they think they own you.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #17
hillover
Registered

Originally posted by feldon34:
People sure are demanding these days. $20 and they think they own you.  
Perhaps "they" just want to know what their expectations should be.

Personally, I had no problem with Jim's honest and straightforward answer.

And the support commitment from Prolific Publishing has been (in my opinion) clearly demonstrated by what hasn't been done in recent months.

Things change, understandably, and no commitment is really "forever". I find it really useful to know what to expect and what to not expect

In other words, the current value of the software that I own. I clearly understand that I don't own the artist, nor the people involved.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #18
Jim Sachs
Developer

On the other hand, we have Quickbooks. My Bank of America business account requires it to download statements in a form my accountant can use. Every two years they change the requirements, forcing me to "upgrade" to the latest version of Quickbooks. But in the world of Intuit, there's no such thing as "Upgrade". I have to buy the new version at full price (about $200), with no discount for being a loyal customer for over 20 years.

So, about 6 months ago I switched to US Bank, which doesn't require Quickbooks.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #19
Socrates
Sage

They skipped Windows 9 most likely because of the widespread use of "Windows 9x". If you do a search for windows 9 help or software, you are going to get a lot of old windows 9x references. Or if your code looks for a version number and only looks for the Windows 9 part of it, that's a problem.

Also anyone that thinks Windows 8.1 is bad in any way: I can't agree with you. It's more stable and faster than windows 7. It's less likely to break, and easier to fix. If you are sore about the start menu, you can have it back in about 2 minutes with startisback or stardock or a number of other super cheap or free pieces of software.

I use Windows 8.1 all day every day, and I never ever see the metro start page unless I specifically go looking for it.

Now did Microsoft fail miserably at blending a tablet interface with a desktop one? Yes they did. But the side-effect is that by rebuilding windows for underpowered tablets they built a lighter, more stable, and more efficient OS that runs like a charm. If you don't like the metro portion they stapled on to it. You don't have to use it.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #20
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by flip:
I will not worry about it until I get W10 about 1year after its release and, by then there should not be any problems at all getting it to work.  
If you wait a year it won't be free anymore. http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...ne-81-upgrades
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows