Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
kevinthemilkdud
Registered

Diable monitor sleep mode

I see in the new release there is no setting for disabling the monitor sleep mode..I s there a fix for this?
kevinthemilkdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
bullfrog
Registered

Disabling monitor sleep mode is a windows function, on the screen saver tab click the power button and set the monitor to whatever time you like, even never. I'm sure Jim will add it eventually after all the other goodies.

Tom
bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
kevinthemilkdud
Registered

I understand the windows function but i have my laptop set to turn off monitor in 3 mins..I don't use a screensaver that starts automatic..i sometimes want to start the screensaver manually and doing this after 3 mins it puts monitor to sleep so i can't see aqurium..older versions would let you disable the sleep function so that when MA is started manually it will run continuously without monitor going into sleep mode....Thanks.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by kevinthemilkdud:
I see in the new release there is no setting for disabling the monitor sleep mode..I s there a fix for this?  
This capability would seem to be a necessity for the designed purpose of Marine Aquarium (i.e., not a screensaver), when running in that mode.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
kevinthemilkdud
Registered

Well..if anyone figures a fix for this please post..thanks!
Old 03-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
CheriePie
Registered

I know what Kevin's referring to. In the older 2.6 version, as well as Prolific's other Goldfish Aquarium screensaver, there's a setting which prohibits the monitor from turning off in sleep mode. The exact setting reads as "Disable Monitor Sleep Mode" and is either checked or unchecked.
(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•♥.•´*.¸.•´*
`*.¸.*´♥ CheriePie )O( ♥
reviewsblogtwitter
CheriePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
kevinthemilkdud
Registered

Unhappy

Yes..I really love the screensaver but want to turn it on manually, when i want..I don't like my system having any screensaver popping up whenever.. I set my monitor to turn itself off after a certain period. Hope they fix this.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

Just set your screensaver to None in Display Properties, and click the Marine Aquarium icon whenever you want to run it.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Just set your screensaver to None in Display Properties, and click the Marine Aquarium icon whenever you want to run it.  
I'm sure you're aware that the above solution doesn't fix the problem for other folks who do want a screensaver, but want to manually run MA3.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, I'm aware that some people run it as a screensaver, and I've regretted adding that capability ever since I did it. It seemed so easy, back in 1999. Just change the file extension from .exe to .scr, and Windows will treat it as a screensaver. But nooooo.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
Dale
Banned

Not what I meant, at all.

Assume that somebody uses one of the "standard" screensavers (say, 3D FlowerBox), and wants that to work.

However, when they launch MA3 manually using the desktop icon, they want MA3 to display continually - and not be affected by the screensaver.

So, they aren't using MA3 as a screensaver. Just using it as you would like them to use it.

That seems to be a reasonable way to set things up, but can't be done with the available MA3 options.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

So you want MA3 to disable the operation of screensavers?
Jim Sachs
Old 03-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

Originally posted by Dale:
Not what I meant, at all.

Assume that somebody uses one of the "standard" screensavers (say, 3D FlowerBox), and wants that to work.

However, when they launch MA3 manually using the desktop icon, they want MA3 to display continually - and not be affected by the screensaver.

So, they aren't using MA3 as a screensaver. Just using it as you would like them to use it.

That seems to be a reasonable way to set things up, but can't be done with the available MA3 options.  
To me, that doesn't make much sense. If they want to use a screensaver, then it would make sense to me that the screensaver would take precedence over any running application (including MA3). If they want MA3 to take precedence over the screensaver, then they should run it as a screensaver or turn off the screensaver function. Having an app take precedence over a screensaver is sort of antithetical, isn't it?

Of course, none of this is of any help to the original poster's problem with MA3 not disabling the monitor sleep setting which has nothing to do with the screensaver. Regardless of whether MA3 is being run in app or screensaver "mode", the ability to disable monitor sleep mode (ala MA2) is a very nice touch that will be missed by some users who are upgrading to MA3.
Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
henemly
asdf

This would be nice, but no big deal really.
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #15
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Rick Simon:
To me, that doesn't make much sense. If they want to use a screensaver, then it would make sense to me that the screensaver would take precedence over any running application (including MA3).  
...however, very few other applications actually require the screen to be visible when they are running..... well, I guess MA3 really doesn't require the screen to be visible when it is running, either...

...so prehaps MA3 should quit running when a screensaver kicks in, or when the monitor turns off.... After all, no sense in heating up the CPU.

There are a lot of combinations that don't make sense to some people, and that are perfectly sensible to other folks. MA3 used as a screensaver doesn't make sense to Jim. But he provides the capability, because it makes sense to a lot of customers.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Jim Sachs
Developer

As I recall (it was a decade ago), the whole monitor sleep mode thing was very problematic. It seemed to depend a lot on the operating system. Some people complained that their monitors would never go into sleep mode when the Aquarium was running, others complained when it did. And what about multimonitors - do some sleep and others not? It's a can of worms.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #17
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

As I recall (it was a decade ago), the whole monitor sleep mode thing was very problematic. It seemed to depend a lot on the operating system. Some people complained that their monitors would never go into sleep mode when the Aquarium was running, others complained when it did. And what about multimonitors - do some sleep and others not? It's a can of worms.  
Of course, the decision is yours. I might point out however, that a decade ago you were dealing with Win95/98/ME/2000 systems and things like monitor sleep mode were brand new (and poorly implemented in many cases). The situation in that area has improved by a vast amount since then, both in the hardware and OS support. As far as multi-monitors, I can't speak for everyone else, but all of the multi-monitor setups I've seen over the last 3 years have worked properly (i.e. all monitors shut down and/or turn back on when they should).
Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

MA is a virtual aquarium . That is its intended use .
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #19
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I kind of agree with Rick on the first part. If someone wants it to take priority and run then why not set it as the SS? That seems kind of like backwards logic the other way.

As for the other aspects, I remember what Jim is talking about and it was a mess then. Maybe it would be different now, but the only thing I can think of is:

Chandler

Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #20
Dale
Banned

Once you open a can of worms.......

...you have to get a bigger can.

Seriously, though, this is clearly an "identified issue".
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows