Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
DavidLee
Registered

Embarassed I'm a newbie with some .png for 2.6

I have 10 excellent color 3D visuals that work in the crystal clock of Serene Aquarium 2.6 in a zip file. I've tested them at 800 x 600 32 bit resolution in Windows XP Pro 64-bit but they should work fine in all windows that support the aquarium.

Do I have to link to URL's or is there a better way way to upload them? I don't have them on-line, just here at home.

I will e-mail them to you if you want. I think they are much better than the ones posted that I've seen. They are G-rated.

Directions to install them are in a text file inside the zip

DavidLee@cebridge.net
DavidLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Welcome to the forums!

Your account is fully approved. You should now be able to click "Quote" () underneath my post and then bring up a window and click the Paperclip icon to upload that ZIP file.

Looking forward to seeing your logos!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

The new guy looks kind of familiar.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:54 AM   #4
DavidLee
Registered

Commin' Atcha!

Originally posted by feldon32:
Welcome to the forums!

Your account is fully approved. You should now be able to click "Quote" () underneath my post and then bring up a window and click the Paperclip icon to upload that ZIP file.

Looking forward to seeing your logos!  

Hope they go through this time!

File is 2.6 Mg. Won't go through. Can you get it off the e-mail I sent you? Please feel free to attach it to my post if you can.

Thanks

Last edited by DavidLee; 04-25-2008 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Attachment timeout before upload completes
Old 04-25-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'd vote for him.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
DavidLee
Registered

Hi! Jim, Glad to meet the MAN!!!

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
The new guy looks kind of familiar.  
I've got one question about 2.6. There seems to be a barely audible click between frames when limited to slow motion-- This sound becomes a low volume, nearly inaudible, buzz around 55 FPS then continues to rise in pitch and volume all the way to 205 FPS where it becomes such an irritation I have to raise the bubble volume to almost mask it. The sound is video generated and I do not believe it is the Aquarium program because it eminates even when sound is muted.Do you think shielding my video card (ATI 9600XT 256 mg) will resolve this? I don't like the lower FPSs because the fish hesitate a little and since this still happens occasionally at 90 FPS I think about 100FPS would work but I don't know how to limit my computer to there. So I'm runnin' all out at 205 with earplugs! LOL Please Help.I normally run at 1024 x 768 at 32 bit but raising these numbers does not seem to slow me down .

Last edited by DavidLee; 04-26-2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Add on resolution info
Old 04-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I don't think we have ever heard of this problem with MA before.
"A barely audible click between frames when limited to slow motion."
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

How do you limit it to slow motion?
Jim Sachs
Old 04-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
DavidLee
Registered

I'm just using the Frame Speed Slide Control in 2.6

How do you limit it to slow motion?  
I did notice that when set to 90 FPS the frame rate measured by pressing S reads actually about 76 FPS. Which makes more sense to me. I know that most programs only require 60 to 75 FPS to run smoothly. I may have a little background activity so maybe I could get by with just a little more than that. I have read that there is a config file prompt that sets max frame rate. Windows XP Pro 64-Bit does not use Config.sys it seems.At least a rudimentory search did not find the file. Could you lead me in the right direction or maybe there is a resident program that will allow me to set individual Frame Rate max's for different programs. Now there's a project for you guys with language and compiler skills and programs to play with?Love your Aquarium! My refresh is 85Hz but same problem at 60Hz so I think a frequency hum is not logical. I know it's not the Aquarium program but the 3D Frame Rate is too high and it effects this particular ATI card ( swapped with a 128Mg 9600XT and at same frame Rates the cheaper card had much less noise produced) Just looking for a solution without changing cards!

Last edited by DavidLee; 04-27-2008 at 12:44 AM. Reason: added refresh rate
Old 04-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

I had forgotten that Edgar had put in that slider which could make the frame rate go way too low. The reason for the Limit Frame Rate option is for those computers which run at over 300 FPS, but can overheat in doing so. By limiting the frame rate to something near the refresh rate, a lot of clock cycles become available for other tasks with no visible difference in the Aquarium performance.

Limiting the frame rate is not an exact science. When you skip a frame and give contol to the system, you have no idea when you'll get it back.

I have no idea about a config file or any way of setting a frame rate control which would affect all Direct3D programs. But if it did exist, it might explain a frame rate limit that some of my Alpha testers have experienced.

Regarding your sound problem, sorry - I have never heard of this problem and wouldn't know how to fix it.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-27-2008, 02:03 AM   #12
DavidLee
Registered

Seems we could fix two problems with one change.

I had forgotten that Edgar had put in that slider which could make the frame rate go way too low.  

If we could get Edgar to raise the slider limits instead of (1FPS to 90FPS) to (30FPS to 120FPS). The program would accomodate the natural Frequency refresh rates of 60Hz, 85Hz and 120Hz and would allow my card (and some others) to operate with a governor that would allow smooth operation at a lower noise level. You could kill two birds with one stone and with the source code would only take a few minutes to modify the slider and recompile. I don't want to distract you from 3.0. It was just an idea that maybe you can use there.

Thanks Jim if you might consider it when you have time.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

Changing 2.6 is not so easy. It means changing all 60+ versions throughout the world, on a product which will probably not sell even one extra copy because of the change. That's something that will have to be done in 3.0.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

DavidLee's logos have been posted here:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...2.6visuals.zip
Old 04-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #15
DavidLee
Registered

You Guys Are the BEST!!!!

Originally posted by feldon32:
DavidLee's logos have been posted here:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...2.6visuals.zip  

I have tried every FISH program advertised in my Google searches. There are some good ones out there but those are always swimming through each other or can't go behind their scenery or never stop swimming and just hover peacefully like Serene Aquarium 2.6 does. They litter my tank with magic disappearing food that's never eaten and never die from overfeeding or starving (except one with inferior graphics). They over accentuate lighting effects to make the water more real when it's the FISH we want to see!
So, calmly for hours and hours, I listen to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young while my bubbles rise at two different speeds with little, nuclear ones that spin around the outside of the column, that visually conceptualizes, a sureal reality. Better than real Fish except to eat. I await 3.0!
Old 04-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #16
Jim Sachs
Developer

Nice logos.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #17
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

David,
You can try to turn off the "Limit Framerate" and do a Ctrl-V to toggle VSync to VSyncClamp. That might give you the smoothest without running the CPU to 100%. Use "s" key to see the state of VSync. Make sure you hit "s" key again to toggle off the status. Showing the status also slows down the screensaver update.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #18
DavidLee
Registered

To get the most dynamic range out of my 7.1 setup, I've set an exceptional input sensitivity. I believe that when I get my new Xonar Sound card that the design improvement will allow me to normalize this situation and all will be well. The Vsync I had tryed before but at my ATI driver level. It does slow down the FPS to 60 where I get a buzz instead of a steady whine but then when I use the mouse or FPS jump the sound goes from the buzz to the whine and back with considerable irritation as you can imagine. Nothing will stop this until I limit the noise generated, block or filter it. I can even slightly hear my Hard drives search and mouse movements eminating through my speakers. Not that a normal person would notice. I'm one of those idiot audiophile musicians cursed with good ears. I'll just raise the volume and cover it up till then.

Thanks for all your help guys. I think I have a handle on it. On-Board AC97 sound sucks! (can I say that?) LOL
Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 AM   #19
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

If you were to use VSync, the Limit Framerate really need to be turned off so it doesn't try to do any FPS adjustments.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive