Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 07-12-2004, 07:25 PM   #1
ubernoob
Registered

Virtual "No Mans Land" in Multi Monitor Mode

Another guy mentioned this, and no-one understood him - but I thought the same thing.

When you have two monitors set up, the actual screens maybe about an inch to two inches or more apart (due to monitor plastic casings or peoples desk setup) , so when fish breach from one screen to the other they warp across this gap.

I know the technical reasons for it etc. but hey - maybe a virtual no mans land can be built in with a small config tool too.

I don't expect to have a virtual no mans land for the backdrop - you won't notice that as it is inanimate, and many different resolutions would have to be made in order to keep pixel perfection.

Anyway - a virtual no mans land (now reffered to as VNML to describe that gap in between monitors, imagined in a real fishtank sense) would be fairly easy to do, people would configure their VNML to suit their gap - IMAGINE....two monitors that are appart by a few feet! That would look truly as though you have portholes into a massive tank - and not have giveaway tell tale warping fish.

Maybe this setup would involve a graphical representation of two monitors that can slide a horizontal bar from left to right? Possibly with representational fish graphic to show them in VNML area.

I could send some UI plans out to whoever deals with this sort of thing?

Programming wise you just send your 3D models to an extra invisible area that exists in the exact centre of the screen, the bigger th VML configure, the bigger this area is. Again, I must stress that there is no need to think about the background graphic, it is unnoticable.

Anyway....

Thanks for your time. (again)

uber.
ubernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:50 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

This only exists because you are doing something a bit strange -- telling Windows that you have a single double-width monitor at a resolution like 2048 x 768. If you instead tell Windows that you have two displays (no spanning), then you will get 2 complete copies of the Aquarium running simultaneously.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:41 AM   #3
ubernoob
Registered

But what's the point in cloning? Surely the whole point of this is to immitate a nice long fishtank across both monitors.

If I wanted to clone, I'd just buy the standard Marine Aquarium and clone from one to another.

Oh wait, you haven't grasped what I'm talking about. I'm talking about simulating a long fish tank (using wide feature) but adding a little extra realism by having the fish disappear for a second in between monitors, as if they were swimming behind the gap in between monitors, and taking time to appear in the next.

Never mind mate.

Thanks anyway.

Does anyone understand what I am talking about?
Old 07-13-2004, 05:51 AM   #4
drfish
the Doc

You must be talking about when I said this (on 4/14/03):
Originally posted by drfish
A question about the dual monitor aquarium... When a fish swims off one screen and onto the other will it move over as soon as it hits the edge? Or will it disappear off one screen first and them swim on to the other one once it is no longer on the first? I'm trying to imagine what would look more natural and I'm thinking it would look best if it was off the screen completely before it started to appear on the next one... This would probably be harder to program though, right? What do you think?
I've still never gotten an answer to that one... But I'm guess when we get the "real" dual monitor aquarium that we'll still have warping fish...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
ubernoob
Registered

Yes, we will have warping fish - and it's not because they're doing anything wrong at all.

It's just that it would be nice if we could add that extra realism. And remember your gap between screens is likely to be different to everyone elses, that's why thered have to be a config for it.

ubernoOb
Old 07-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

DrFish - I hadn't planned to do any special programming for a gap between the two screens with dual monitors. The display would simply be two screens wide, and the fish would swim freely in that bigger tank. So, to answer your question - Yes, the fish would immediately appear on the next screen after swimming off the edge of the first. The two monitors are just two cameras pointing at different areas of the same tank. The very small number of multi-monitor users with a gap between the monitors would not justify spending any time on additional programming.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

For once I'm going to defend ubernoob. Wouldn't MOST multi-monitor users have a gap between monitors? If I put two monitors right next to each other, the fascia is at least 1 1/2 inches on each monitor, producing a gap of ~3 inches.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 07-13-2004, 11:20 PM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'm not saying it wouldn't be kind of nice, just that it's not likely to happen.
Jim Sachs
Old 07-14-2004, 03:14 AM   #9
bugsymcd24
PC Professional

ok... I use two monitors side by side at work, and took a screen shot of the desktop... there is no actual gap between "screens" it's all one seemless desktop... the gap is only the case around the crt, or flat panels. if the case were not there and you could butt the two screens up next to each other there would be no gap and you would see a smooth transition from one to another.
Like the big screens you see up on the back wall at Best Buy.... so to program for a gap would screw the whole thing up...in my opinion.
bugsymcd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 05:03 AM   #10
ubernoob
Registered

Yeah, tbh it would be great for that added realsim to have the fish swim the actual gap distance, it would also be nice to have that gap configurable so that it would even more awesom for monitors that are quite far apart, like a foot appart or something - but someone would have to program it, and at the end of the day it's probably too much work for little benefit.

One day maybe, or maybe you'd want to throw this one out to someone with the time and skill?

ubernoob
Old 07-14-2004, 07:40 AM   #11
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Not that it matters much but I am confused about what you you think needs doing. I gather for total realism you want to be able to input that the second (and third, fourth) monitor is: xx inches to the right, left, above, below, in front of, behind, at an angle of, is bigger or smaller than and difference in tilt of. Has a dot pitch of and needs a color correction of. Is a CRT, plasma LCD.........
Shouldn't be all that hard

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:33 AM   #12
ubernoob
Registered

Oh my what comedy you have to give.

No, I'm serious - WHAT comedy?

It was just an idea, a talking point - that's all. But, I suppose if there is anything to gain from your post, it's this - "where do you stop in the hunt for realism?" Me being a perfectionist, I'd stop when it was perfect of course.

Sheesh.

uber.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:56 AM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

The first question I always ask when someone suggests an addition to the Aquarium is this:

Is it something which would make the average person more likely to buy the product, or would it just confuse them?

In this case the answer is quite clear. A very small percentage of the users are displaying the Aquarium on two (and only two) side-by-side monitors. A large section of the interface would be pertaining to something which the average user would never even see. If one out of every thousand users were to send us an email asking what that's for, or how to use it, we would have to answer over 10,000 emails. With a product as widespread as this, it's all about customer-support.
Jim Sachs
Old 07-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #14
ubernoob
Registered

Totally understand Jim.

By the way, did you get payed to have your software in the MS Pluspack for XP? Or was you all too happy for it to be included to gain more registered users?

ubernoob.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:54 PM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

"Screwed" is an excellent one-word answer to describe the Microsoft Plus pack situation.

Jim has been incredibly polite about it considering.

http://feldoncentral.com/forums/show...&threadid=2459
Old 07-14-2004, 06:00 PM   #16
ubernoob
Registered

Oops, whole can of worms there I see!

I kinda expected that though, but to be honest the link to serenescene from the MS website is pretty good in fairness.

Anway - if nothing else it opens peoples eyes to a great product.

I'll have my own business up and running this year, and I think I'd like to dist this software with the logo in the crystal thing on the new machines. Could you give me some keen pricing jim for a new venturer watching every penny like myself?

Cheers mate - a bit of mutual backscratching with advertising space on the site too? And do you have off-the-shelf products to stock too?

uber.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:49 PM   #17
Jim Sachs
Developer

Please explain how the MS link is "pretty good". List the steps to get to it.
Jim Sachs
Old 07-14-2004, 11:17 PM   #18
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by ubernoob
I'll have my own business up and running this year, and I think I'd like to dist this software with the logo in the crystal thing on the new machines. Could you give me some keen pricing jim for a new venturer watching every penny like myself?
Before any deal cutting which you might be able to get, the two options available are:

* Design a logo yourself and then buy Marine Aquarium Time 2 in bulk and install your logo in each copy.

* Have SereneScreen produce a version of Marine Aquarium Crystal for you with a professionally-designed logo. There is a schedule of discounts for this product.

Originally posted by ubernoob
And do you have off-the-shelf products to stock too?
Boxed versions of the Aquarium don't make Jim much money. They're mostly to increase sales presence.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:43 AM   #19
ubernoob
Registered

Actually Jim, I just clicked somebodies link in here to reach it. Having browsed the MS site now, I can see your point.

There is no logical placement of a decent link in there, and further more your software is made to look as though it is Microsofts software in my oppinion, especially with the name "Plus! Aquarium"

I didn't mean to irritate you Jim, sorry mate. Microshaft win again.

Re the crystal thing, I'm actually a designer too mate, so I can do my own logo and import it etc. So I'd just configure each one as it goes out.

Uber.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:56 AM   #20
Jim Sachs
Developer

Prolific handles all the crystal version business, and has bulk pricing policies. A lot of companies have taken advantage of this, including Ford, Intel, Circuit City, and many others. I think in most cases Prolific has done the logo artwork, but I doubt if it's a requirement.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive