Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-28-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
fred@
Registered

Double trouble

Hi,
I recently upgraded to marine aquarium 2.01 and now I have trouble. When I right click and go under screen saver settings it has marine aquarium under the list to times. it looks like this:

Please help. Thank you.

fred@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:09 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Check C:\Windows\System32\ for more than one copy of the Aquarium.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
fred@
Registered

I checked ansd there is noly one copy in the folder. Also when I remove one copy they both disapear. Thank you for the help.

fred@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:22 AM   #4
cjmaddy
Registered

Are you sure you're not just seeing double after drinking all that?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:43 PM   #5
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Okay, I need some help. I recently installed MA2 on my PC at work, running WinXP Home SP2 and at first, I saw two entries like Fred. But when I searched System 32 I only saw one file. Then when I checked Display Properties again, it only showed 1 entry so I thought everything was fine, and everything was fine, the screensaver was working great and looked awesome on my new system and monitor. But now it doesn't work. The only thing I've installed since MA2 was a game demo and today I've updated my video card drivers (Intel 82865G Graphics Controller). I think I am having some trouble with my Direct 3D. I've run dxdiag and tested Direct Draw which seems to work fine, but when I test Direct 3D nothing happens, the screen just goes black. I've even tried to update my DirectX but it says that is already up to date. Now the strange thing is that I tried it on my co-workers PCs to try and duplicate the problem, because they're the same as mine, and MA2 is working on 1 but will not work on 2 others. I haven't had time to check their dxdiag though. What other info do you need to help me solve this?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:48 AM   #6
cjmaddy
Registered

Pat,
Have you tried re-installing DirectX again? - Even though you think it's OK and up to date, I think it is recommended that you re-install DirectX again, after installing new or different video drivers.

Whenever screensavers start to show faults, I have found that re-installing DirectX usually fixes the problem.
..... It won't hurt to just try it!
Old 03-31-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I tried, but it says that it is up-to-date and then quits the installation. I'll try again, a different way, on Monday. But I've been thinking about this for days now and there are no variables that I can pinpoint that would distinguish the one PC that runs MA2 and the others that wont. I installed BF1942 and Medal of Honor Multi-Player demos, plus a patch for BF, on all. I installed The All Seeing Eye on 3. I turned off the monitor and system power down after so many minutes on all. I turned off several Windows XP Home services on mine. When my MA2 stopped working, I installed it with all the same settings on all the other PCs. I just can't figure it out and it's driving me batty.
Patrick
Old 03-31-2005, 08:01 PM   #8
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Maybe you can start by uninstalling the DirectX completely first and then reinstall it fresh afterwards.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:09 PM   #9
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Uninstaling DirectX is a major pain, and not recommended by Microsoft because of how deeply it roots itself within your system. That being said, there are several apps out there that are supposed to do this. I have no personal idea just how well they work as I have never tried it. But, from what I have read about the process and the results I would hold that as a last resort. You can find an app here that is supposed to do this. http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=522
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:14 PM   #10
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

ok, forget I said "completely". I think windows remove/uninstall software uninstalls it only partially, maybe just enough so you can reinstall it without it stopping and saying it's up to date. but just thinking off the top of my head here. Michael knows better than I so listen to him.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:15 PM   #11
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I learned something new today. As I wrote previously, when I ran dxdiag on my pc at work, the DirectDraw test worked fine, but nothing happened for the Direct 3D test. So I just ran it here at home and saw what is supposed to happen. That tells me that the problem at work is most definately with Direct 3D, and that I need to do whatever is necessary to get that Direct 3D test working correctly on my work pc. Any other suggestions besides re-installing Direct X, or is that the only proper procedure?
Patrick
Old 03-31-2005, 10:05 PM   #12
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Pat,

Which version of DirectX are you using. Check and see which ones are working and which versions aren't.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:55 AM   #13
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Is the Direct 3D test actually testing DirectX? I didn't know that. But I get it now. None of them are working. The version it says I have installed is 9c
Patrick
Old 04-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #14
cjmaddy
Registered

Is 'Direct3D Acceleration' shown as 'Enabled' in dxdiag?
Old 04-01-2005, 04:29 PM   #15
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by patscarr:
I tried, but it says that it is up-to-date and then quits the installation. .....  
Mine doesn't quit, - when I run dxsetup.exe it says it - "... will update as necessary ... To start installation, please click Next" - It then extracts and copies all the files and then finalises.

When I've had a problem with a 3D program, I think the fix only takes effect after re-booting, following on from re-installing DirectX.

What are you using to attempt to re-install DirectX? .... I use the copy on this disk. (It's ver. 9.0b)
Old 04-03-2005, 08:10 PM   #16
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Okay, I just downloaded the directx 9c redist file from Microsoft and it still wont let me install it. It just says that everything is up-to-date and then quits the installation. Darn. What can I do now?
Patrick
Old 04-03-2005, 10:09 PM   #17
klyntun

Pat,
If you click on help on the dxdiag screen, the dxdiagnostic tool help screen comes up. You might try some of the troubleshooting tips to see what you come up with (unless you already have).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dxdiagscreens.jpg (154.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-03-2005, 10:52 PM   #18
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Klynt, that wont help me any because it's all in Korean. But I noticed one difference from your picture between yours and mine. My AGP is disabled and the button to enable it is shaded out (unclickable). Does that mean anything?
Patrick
Old 04-03-2005, 11:22 PM   #19
klyntun

Your video card may not be working. Right click on your desktop, click settings>advanced>adapter>properties>troubleshoot, and see what you get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Display.jpg (115.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-04-2005, 01:20 AM   #20
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Well, that didn't help much either because it's all in Korean also. Darn! My games work fine and so do the Microsoft 3D screensavers.
Patrick
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive