Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-20-2003, 11:28 AM   #1
Baek
Registered

Hello (..and thanks for all the fish).

Hi all.

First post on the forums, having lurked (and laughed) for quite some time, just wanted to say "hi".

Love MA v2. Job well done. A few comments-come-questions;

1) Why "Fish8" in the registry? Tease! (..and indeed, 373 "TESTFISH" )

2) Why does v1.1 sound so different to v2? (Having hex compared both versions wav files (identical of course) this is a little confusing.) AC97 codec (on board, EpOX 8KHA+ mobo). Yeah, Baek==Cheap&&Poor SOAB.

3) There isn't an program I own (code many of my own doncha know) that I do not "gut", and inspect it's innards therein, MA is no exception. What is the "official" take on MA modifications? I've seen some of the ghastly inept efforts doing the rounds, however, if an acceptable mod were to raise it's ugly head (hum) perhaps as an (IPS) patch, would the developers turn a funny colour, or a blind-eye? (..an example of my personnel (somewhat subtle) modifications below.

4) Is it just me, or do the fish seem a little too eager to show off their new abilities (particularly their eagerness to swim "through" (rather than around) the bubbles (a nice effect
all the same.)) && I'm certain Mr. Sachs new Angel (quite brilliant) dislikes my poor ol' clown!

5) There IS No Five.

Attached; I've compressed the image a little (keep file size down) This is an edit I started on receiving v2, the starfish isn't done (I'm going for "fromia elegans" (red starfish)) Also removed the logo (no disrespect to Mr. Sachs, this is a personnel edit, realism of utmost importance.) && applied various "filters" to the DDS's (textures) Mainly, brought the contrast/colour levels up a tad, as well as giving them a more "wet" look (doesn't come across too well in that pic.)

Hey Ho. Like I said, "Hi".
Baek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 11:44 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

2) Why does v1.1 sound so different to v2?
1.1.6, which was never put into general release, added the ability to completely disable any communications with the sound hardware. This was required on some systems to get Winamp to play music (or other programs that generate periodic sounds to do their thing) while the Aquarium was running.

That is the only thing I can think of that might cause a sound difference.

3) There isn't an program I own (code many of my own doncha know) that I do not "gut", and inspect it's innards therein, MA is no exception. What is the "official" take on MA modifications? I've seen some of the ghastly inept efforts doing the rounds, however, if an acceptable mod were to raise it's ugly head (hum) perhaps as an (IPS) patch, would the developers turn a funny colour, or a blind-eye? (..an example of my personnel (somewhat subtle) modifications below.
We don't do that sort of thing here.

As you can see, however, the door is very slowly creaking open to other Prolific-sponsored artists being able to contribute to the Aquarium. Ken's 5 new fish are, so far, generating a generally positive response. If you think your graphic design/3D capabilities make the grade, e-mail Prolific.

however, if an acceptable mod were to raise it's ugly head
I think the problem is, the people who ARE artistic and capable of doing good fish have too much respect for Jim to leak these out. Which leaves the hackers, and we've seen what they are cranking out.

Attached; I've compressed the image a little (keep file size down) This is an edit I started on receiving v2, the starfish isn't done
Looks like your attachment got snarfed.

There is presently no "underground" Aquarium forum I can refer you to and we don't support/condone those kinds of mods here. You're welcome to e-mail me pictures of anything you want. I can be a pretty harsh critic though!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 11:49 AM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

Welcome, Baek -
In answer to your questions:

1. There are 8 fish slots in the Registry because the Widescreen version uses 8 fish on-screen.

2. I don't hear any difference in the sound. Are you sure that the volume is set the same in the Settings of both programs? (They don't use each other's settings.)

3. The attachment didn't come through, so I can't comment on your contributions. 3rd-party mods are not encouraged.

4. The fish behavior algorithms have not changed yet.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:05 PM   #4
Baek
Registered

feldon27 wrote;
If you think your graphic design/3D capabilities make the grade, e-mail Prolific..
A fine suggestion. Thank you. But I don't pretend to be anywhere near professional standard. An amateur perfectionist only.

I think the problem is, the people who ARE artistic and capable of doing good fish have too much respect for Jim to leak these out. Which leaves the hackers, and we've seen what they are cranking out.
The former is quite understandable.

Looks like your attachment got snarfed.
Give me Usenet any day.

http://www23.brinkster.com/cliffordbaek/

There is presently no "underground" Aquarium forum I can refer you to and we don't support/condone those kinds of mods here. You're welcome to e-mail me pictures of anything you want. I can be a pretty harsh critic though!
Not a problem, merely testing the water. I do believe an active mod community would not harm Mr. Sach's product (half-life anyone?) quite the opposite, but I concur, and respect your wishes. Thank you sir.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:05 PM   #5
Baek
Registered

Jim Sachs wrote;
Welcome, Baek -
Thank you sir.

1. There are 8 fish slots in the Registry because the Widescreen version uses 8 fish on-screen.
Ahhh, thank you.

2. I don't hear any difference in the sound. Are you sure that the volume is set the same in the Settings of both programs? (They don't use each other's settings.)
I run 10 or so "instances" of your aquarium (species tanks, etc.) Of late I've been running 2 at a time (windowed, 125 FPS on each) and had been using a "crossfading" codec in order to hear both tanks (bubbles) at the same time (on the same monitor) The problem was indeed mine, my bad.

3rd-party mods are not encouraged.
Understood and respected.

4. The fish behavior algorithms have not changed yet.
..it's all in my mind.

Thank you for your time Mr. Sach's.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:17 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Any time, Mr. Bae'k.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:33 PM   #7
Baek
Registered

Any time, Mr. Bae'k.
We English don't do sarcasm

Excuse me, it's been a very long life.

-Mr. 'k
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive