Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 06-14-2002, 05:59 PM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Angry Website Update

6/22/02 UPDATE: Website Online!

You may be interested to know that in the next few days, we'll be updating the fan website to have separate sections for the Freshwater Aquarium, version 1.1, and news of the coming Macintosh version.

I took a heck of a shortcut for the menu on the left using transparent gifs and other magic. I was able to do the entire menu WITH rollovers in 44kb. But already I'm hearing reports that it does not work on every browser. If I have to do it the old way, it will be closer to 80kb.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 06-22-2002 at 07:50 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:40 PM   #2
Enigma
Registered

16 Highscores

Good job. Looks nice.
?
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 04:23 AM   #3
hpman77
Blue Angel

looks great feldon!
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 11:55 AM   #4
Shinsa
Registered

Looks fantastic. Good quality work!
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 06-15-2002, 02:02 PM   #5
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

As The Rocketeer once put it:
I... ...like it!

Minor observations/nagging/whatever:
1. The six first link in the navbar to the left move a pixel up and to the right when highlighted. The last two don't (which IMHO looks better)
2. The "The Official Fan Website And Forum" text looks great.
3. The dividers between the three Aquarium flavours look nice but doesn't really cohere with the other elements of the page. Perhaps something with that same glow effect you use on the text would be better.
4. The smaller navbar graphics was a good idea. Looks much better, methinks. (I also note the edited Picasso...)
5. The Macintosh icon isn't up to your otherwise extremely high standard. I must admit that I've been sitting here for a while now, trying to figure out a better symbol, but can't come up with anything better (yet). Anyways, perhaps you could lose a few jaggies around the edges of it.

Looking forward to seeing it up instead of the old one.

/Calle
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 02:11 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Fixing the jaggies on the Apple logo did occur to me. I'll take another shot at it.

Maybe bubbles for the column dividers?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 06-15-2002, 02:35 PM   #7
hayc59
VoodØØ Child™

looks real nice!!
thank you...
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêÐ
Never Forget

God Bless America

hayc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 03:10 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

UPDATE: We went with the bubbles instead of orange lines

Not sure how I could do glowing lines...

Last edited by feldon34; 06-22-2002 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2002, 04:34 PM   #9
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Morgan,
But already I'm hearing reports that it does not work on every browser.
Isn't that an understatement? Netscape 6.22 completely freezes on the prototype page until I kill it with ctrl+alt+del. Please do it the old way.
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 04:37 PM   #10
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

The bubbles are good. Easily identifyable with the SereneScreen concept.

As for the glowing lines – I was thinking along the lines (yes, pun intended) of the horizontal bar with the Percula below the bubbles. One of those with the same glow effect as on the text.

/TT
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 06:37 PM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

How to put this tactfully....

It is very hard to write pages that are compatible with Netscape. I write my pages in raw HTML in Notepad.exe, not an editor. I'm not ready to give up just because Netscape, which represents 5% of web browsers, fails to render a vital tag. BUT, if Netscape is crashing, then I will take the necessary steps to resolve it, of course!

Going back to the "old way" would double the download time for my website. For 33.6k modem users this would be from 13 to 26 seconds.

The only unusual code I am using is this tag:

{td valign=top STYLE="background-image: url('nav/menuback.jpg'); background-repeat: no-repeat"}

Mountainmaster, can you try to load this page:

out-dated link

Ignore the fact that the coral background including the Lionfish repeats. I am simply testing something.

Last edited by feldon34; 06-22-2002 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:15 PM   #12
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Well, I just downloaded Netscape 6.2.3. (20MB?)

First I had to give AOL my e-mail and zip code so they can send me advertising.

Neither version of the prototype crashed the browser, but both versions have display problems. Netscape has the audacity to ignore the transparent space around my GIFs and bump the GIFs up againt the side. This is TOTALLY against the HTML4 spec.

I can probably work around this by having a black pixel in the upper left corner of each GIF but I'd rather not have to do that.

Oh, and all the fonts are the wrong size (a common Netscape problem).

Last edited by feldon34; 06-15-2002 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:17 PM   #13
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

The netscape page seems to load fine. I also retried the original one and it does not freeze everytime, but 2 out of 6 times.
In both pages I noticed something wrong with the mouseover. Or is it supposed to look like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mouseover.jpg (6.6 KB, 275 views)
Old 06-15-2002, 08:23 PM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Did you notice that the green text items are not even in their soft black spots?

Netscape is ignoring the transparent GIFs the way I designed them and jamming them up against the upper left side. But then it's displaying the rollovers differently.

It's a total mess that does not exist in Internet Explorer.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:29 PM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The black area is what the image size should be.

The grey area is what Netscape is re-interpreting the image size to be.
Attached Images
File Type: gif welcome-problem.gif (632 Bytes, 267 views)
Old 06-15-2002, 08:40 PM   #16
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Strange, I thought Mozilla was built according to the html4 specs. Netscape 6 is still based on the Mozilla beta and it has some additional crap, which is why the download is that big. I wonder if Mozilla 1.0 (which will be the core of Netscape 7) corrects this?
Old 06-15-2002, 09:02 PM   #17
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Ok, it's all "fixed". I had to work around it by putting a dark/black pixel in the upper left corner of each menu item. The pixel between Forum and Wishlist is plainly visible.

Interestingly, Netscape/Sun Java 2 just crashed/froze and somehow managed to "pause" IE. It's not until I went to Task Manager and forced Netscape6 to quit that IE unlocked.

There are also very ugly refresh/flicker problems on the rollovers. Considering I have a 1400 MHz machine, I can't imagine how this looks on a regular PC.

Can you test it out?

Last edited by feldon34; 06-22-2002 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:17 PM   #18
feldon34
Forum Administrator

After Netscape crashed and I reopened it, the rollovers no longer flicker.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:38 PM   #19
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

The rollover images are in the right place now, but there seems to be a problem with preloading them and keeping them in cache. You probably load them locally, which would cause a flickering. But for me they redownload every time, even though my cache settings are "once per session". I never have this problem with other rollover scripts unless the cache is set to "every time...".

I also suspected that crash problem to be Java related, but the only Java I see is the counter and that one is also on the current index page...

---edit---
OK, I also restarted Netscape and guess what... The rollovers still don't preload but after first use they are kept in cache now.

Last edited by Mountainmaster; 06-15-2002 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:49 PM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Strange. I thought I had fixed the continually-reloading bug.

Ok, I just did another change. Try it again. By the way, you're welcome to come in the chatroom if you want to do this interactively.

Might want to clear your Internet Cache.

Last edited by feldon34; 06-22-2002 at 07:53 PM.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive