Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 03-16-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
BobL
Registered

Big Grin Frozen Aquarium

Twice today I have returned to my iBook (14":G3:600mhz:256mbRAM:30GBHD:OSX10.1.5) to find that when I 'wake' it the screen displays a frozen image of the screensaver. It then refuses to respond to any keystroke or Force Quit command.
The only way to recover from this is to hold the power switch down until it powers off.

I'm a bit reluctant to leave it with the screensaver if this keeps freezing up. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong here?
BobL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 09:24 AM   #2
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Does the same problem occur if you select a different screen saver module, or is it only when MA is selected? Do you have Energy Saver set to put your iBook to sleep? If so, try disabling it and see if the problem still occurs. Alternatively, you can disable the screen saver with Energy Saver still enabled and see if the problem still occurs.
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 04:21 PM   #3
BobL
Registered

Michael,
The freezing didn't occur with any other saver running - I normally had Aqua Icons as the saver and never had a problem.
Yes I do have energy saver set to put my iBook to sleep. I have selected Aqua Icons again and will see what happens first then try your other suggestions.

Cheers
Bob
Old 03-18-2003, 01:46 PM   #4
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Bob,

Please give Jaguar a try. I'm pretty sure this isn't anything we're doing, so the best hope to get it fixed is to stay current with the OS.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 04:22 PM   #5
BobL
Registered

Jim,
I may find it a bit hard to justify spending £100($150) to upgrade to 10.2 just to be able to make a screensaver run.

Old 03-18-2003, 11:43 PM   #6
Rusty

Freezes

I just recently starting using Marine Aquarium for a screen saver on my G4 Quicksilver, and am having the same problem. I am using OS 10.2.4, and I have my Energy saver set to “Never”. I have never had this problem with any other screen savers. After the screen saver has been active for about an hour, my whole computer freezes, and the only way to escape, is to restart by holding the power button for 3 seconds.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:56 AM   #7
Michael Babin
Mac Development

BobL:

Thanks for the feedback. Please do let us know the results of any further testing, especially turning Energy Saver off (set to "Never" for all settings). Rest assured, 10.1.5 is a version we support.

Rusty and BobL:

Can you confirm that the version of MA you are using is 1.1.2 or 1.1.3?
Old 03-19-2003, 05:08 PM   #8
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

BobL and Rusty,

_Theoretically_, there is nothing we can do to cause the symptom you see. The Apple supplied screen savers are pretty puny, so the fact that they work doesn't rule anything out other than gross corruption of the screen saver framework.

Do either of you have a partition you could install a fresh OS X onto and see how it goes running from there?

I'll see if I can repro on the hardware I have here.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 03-19-2003, 06:12 PM   #9
BobL
Registered

Michael,
I have v1.1.2
I have selected "Never" on "Put system to sleep whenever it is inactive for" under Energy Saver settings.

Jim,
I don't have a partition on my iBook and to be honest I'm a bit of a Mac virgin, still getting to grips with it. My copy of "Mac OS X - The Missing Manual" never being far away!!

Thanks for the replies guys!!
Old 03-20-2003, 07:55 AM   #10
BobL
Registered

I've noticed that when I try to run SSA with my display set to millions of colours it is very jerky. If I switch to thousands it runs a lot smoother.
Is there a recommended setting for using SSA?
I ask this as the display setting affects the quality of images viewed (digital photos).
Thanks
Bob
Old 03-20-2003, 10:58 AM   #11
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

BobL

Millions of colors is a significantly higher work load for the video card. iBooks, until recently, didn't have the best of video cards. Not to feel bad, the first TiBooks had really weak video cards. What sort of frame rates do you see? If they are in the single digits then turn on the "economize video memory" setting. I doubt that is the case. It is likely that the bottle neck is the video cards throughput, not its memory, therefore there isn't any thing that will make a drastic difference. However, you are on the cusp -- any work load reduction for the card may be enough to get you smooth animation. Reducing the number of fish, turning off the bubbles, may help. Limiting the frame rate to 30 fps may help. Turning off the sound sometimes helps if the machien is CPU limited. Reducing the shimmer setting is purely CPU load reducing, but it may help and most people can't tell the difference between the various settings until it is pointed out to them.

On the other topic, I am unable to repro the freeze so far, but I will give it more time.

Jim O'Connor
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 03-20-2003, 07:21 PM   #12
BobL
Registered

Jim,
Thanks for such personal service!!
I have everything set to off that I can and have tried all variations of options both on and off.

On full screen I get following frame rates.
Frame rate at 30 = ±15fps (1024x768)
--------||------- 60 = ±15fps (1024x768)
--------||-------max=±16.5fps(1024x768)
All above with 7 fish, no sound, no bubbles, shimmer off, lights off, economise video memory on and at millions of colours.

Is this what you mean??
Old 03-20-2003, 09:05 PM   #13
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

How do your "thousands" fps compare?
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 03-21-2003, 05:47 AM   #14
BobL
Registered

Jim,
Results for thousands!
All settings as per above.
Frame rate@30 = 30fps(1024x768)
Frame rate@50 = 50-60fps(1024x768)
Frame rate@max= ±59fps(1024x768)

The graphics card in my iBook is an ATI Rage Mobility 128 with 8mb video memory.

Bob
Old 03-21-2003, 03:25 PM   #15
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

BobL,

Not anything we can do about your millions performance then.

I am sorry.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 03-21-2003, 04:49 PM   #16
BobL
Registered

What! No miracle?

So let me see if I got this right. Running SSMA with display set to "thousands" produces the right FPS and smooth motion, but when I crank it up to "millions" it chops the frame rate down to 15fps irrespective of the frame rate setting. So, basically my video card isn't up to it?

Well thats a disappoinment, but one I'll have to endure (or go for a G4 powerbook!!!)

Thanks for looking into it Jim.
Bob
Old 03-21-2003, 11:58 PM   #17
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Originally posted by BobL
So let me see if I got this right. Running SSMA with display set to "thousands" produces the right FPS and smooth motion, but when I crank it up to "millions" it chops the frame rate down to 15fps irrespective of the frame rate setting.
The frame rate setting has no effect in this situation (millions of colors) because the max frame rate you can get for your iBook is 15 fps (according to the results you reported earlier from your tests). Setting the frame rate limit to 30 or 60 fps has no effect because, even running full out, MA can't achieve that frame rate on your computer. Limiting the frame rate to a setting less than the maximum fps possible on your machine only helps to reduce the CPU load. It does not reduce the memory (including VRAM) requirements or usage of the program.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive