Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 03-27-2003, 06:38 PM   #1
Sasquatch
Registered

Cool Coral

Just got my upgrade code a code a couple days ago. Love the new fish!

A few of things though:

- The fish seem to move a little weird sometimes. Hard to describe, other than I've never seen fish do some of the things they do in MA2. Maybe a collision avoidance thing?

- The fish never move from the 'back' of the aquarium to the 'front' of the aquarium. They seem determined to only go side to side. It really gives the aquarium a very 2D feel...

- I seem to recall reading a while back that MA2 was going to have 'interactive' coral. My coral is still the same as in MA1. It just sits there. It sure would be nice to have the clownfish interact the way the do in the wild! It'd also be nice to see the coral at least 'sway' with the current or when a fish bumps or swims past it. I've read that the Goldfish and Freshwater will have these features. Is there any word on whether this is still coming? Please???

(Shameless promotion: http://www.aquainnovationsinc.com )
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 07:45 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Take a few fish out of the tank and the rest will move from front to back more readily. The way the algorithm works is this: If a fish hits the side limit (either side), or is in the clear area in the middle, the program checks to see if it would collide with any other fish if it swam to the front or back. By "collide", I mean not only is another fish occupying that position, but could it be by the time the first fish gets there. With 7 fish in the tank, there are very few opportunities for swimming front to back.

You did not read that MA2 would have the 3D background. That is still quite a ways in the future.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 08:20 PM   #3
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Sasquatch,

Welcome to the forum. The background movement will come with the 3D background along with a few other things. This upgrade was to prepare and support future changes and options.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 02:19 AM   #4
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Sasquatch,

Sorry, nothing changed in the fish driving logic. The major changes, besides UI and the extra fish are internal to support MAT and have to do with memory usage (MA2 for OS 9 can get buy with 500k less memory unless you have two monitors).
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 06:45 AM   #5
Sasquatch
Registered

I'll try to describe it a little better...

MacOS X 10.2.4, G4 Cube, 450 Mhz.

No bubble column or sound, full shimmer.

It's happening in front of all the coral.

All 7 fish are on, random selection

When one of the new bigger fish comes head to head with a smaller fish, the big fish stops and the smaller fish 'bounces' back and forth and 'slides' up or down until it turns a little bit and they swim past each other.

Also, occassionally, one of the fish will 'slide' up or down without equivalent fin movement. This usually occurs near the top and back of the tank.

BTW: Thanks for the great (and fast) replies. Never expected them based on experience in other forums. Kudos to all of you!!
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 06:57 AM   #6
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Whaddaya mean fast? It took 'em over an hour to come up with a reply

/Tiny Turbo
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive