Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-21-2002, 02:34 PM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Lightbulb * Windows Settings *

If, after installing version 1.1 and running it for the first time, your icons reset to low colors and your font smoothing is turned off, please run this script to fix the problem:

<a href="https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/restoreBest.reg">Restore Font Smoothing and Icon Color Depth</a> (Windows 98, ME, 2000)

<a href="https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/restoreBestXP.reg">Restore Font Smoothing and Icon Color Depth</a> (Windows XP)
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-21-2002 at 03:36 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 03:17 PM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Morgan, have you tried this with WinXP? Since XP uses 32 bit icons (24 bit + 8 bit alpha) it might not approve of stuff like Shell Icon BPP"="16". I don't know myself, but just thought it better to ask.

/Tiny Coloring
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 09:37 AM   #3
swright98
Registered

Icons damaged in XP (Wallpaper too)

I just installed and ran the latest version of the aquarium. After the aquarium ran, I lost my wallpaper, and my icons and menus were changed to 256 colors. I also lost the use of 24 bit color in my Display settings. When I switch to 32 bit color, my icons return to "normal" but they are still not retain the anti-aliased look I had previously. This is very disturbing and I hope someone can find a resolution to this before I have to rebuild my computer. (This has also happened to a friends computer)
swright98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 12:21 PM   #4
swright98
Registered

This did not work. I ran the registry entry and re-booted. No good. A fix would be highly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:14 PM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The script fixes your fonts and your icon colors. It does not fix your wallpaper. There's no way for my script to figure out what wallpaper you had. You may also need to go in and turn on Large Icons again. Right-click on the Desktop and change the settings there.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 02-23-2002, 03:35 PM   #6
swright98
Registered

There is no problem with the wallpaper. The fix does not restore the icons that were damaged when using 16 bit color.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:58 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Please make sure you have Hidden Files visible on your system.

Go into your Windows directory and delete the file "ShellIconCache" and then reboot.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article07-130
Old 02-24-2002, 01:35 AM   #8
hayc59
VoodØØ Child™

Question

this same thing happened to me and all i had to do was
right click on your desktop and go to Propeties and the Effects and re-check show icons using all possible colors and smooth edges on screen fonts!! worked great for me!!
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêÐ
Never Forget

God Bless America

hayc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 01:49 AM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

"show icons using all possible colors" button doesn't exist in XP since it's always expected to be ON and SHOULD be impossible to turn off. So you have to turn it back on by editing the registry (or running my script which pastes certain things into the registry to fix it).

As for icon repair, nothing you can do except deleting that file or triggering an icon repair from TweakUI will fix it.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:27 AM   #10
swright98
Registered

OK,

I ran System Restore prior to the point of installing the screen saver. My icons have been restored, although 1.1 has also been installed. Anyone know why this happens. I would like to install 1.1 again, but I would rather this not happen again. I did find that my monitor refresh rate was set at 100 hertz and not 60. Can the screen saver run when the monitor is set to a higher refresh rate?
Old 02-24-2002, 09:05 AM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Neither Jim nor anyone at Prolific has been able to reproduce the Windows Settings bugs we've been experiencing.

Just reinstall 1.1 and run the script above. You should only have to do it once.

The Aquarium will run at any refresh you like. Just make sure your monitor is really ok at that refresh.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive