Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-17-2003, 12:11 PM   #1
Kent
Registered

Another Idea- lowering the top level of gravel

I was told that the gravel in an aquarium is lower at the front of the tank and gradually builds up toward the back of the tank. This is so debris will collect at the front of the tank for easy cleaning.

If this is true, lowering the top level of the gravel so that it is flush with the base of the viewing screen will give a larger viewing area and make the screen saver aquarium look bigger.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 02:01 PM   #2
cjmaddy
Registered

IMO - I don't think it would then look like an aquarium. There has to be some depth of gravel for the plant roots. If we say there are no plants in the centre front, so there needs to be little or no gravel there, then I think it would look odd. - Perhaps it's just what you get used to, - all mine always had a good depth of gravel. - But then I used under gravel filters!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 02:05 PM   #3
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I agree with Cliff, mine did also. But I might offer another point of view. Maybe the gravel is lower in the front because thats where people clean the most. Its easier to reach than moving items and doing what you should.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 02:44 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

The gravel is already lower at the front than the back. Any lower, and I wouldn't have room for my signature
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:00 PM   #5
raven
Perculiar Clownfish

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
The gravel is already lower at the front than the back. Any lower, and I wouldn't have room for my signature
And we couldn't have that, could we ?

I like the gravel 'against the glass'. To me it's how an aquarium is supposed to look. I also like the width and hight aspect-ratio the tank has, if anything I'd like it to be wider, not higher. ( my 2 cents of course )
Remi
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 05:06 PM   #6
cjmaddy
Registered

raven, - Yes, that's the very reason I prefer the SSA1.1wide version, - the black bars top and bottom add to the effect!

/Tiny Anamorphic Widescreen!
Old 09-17-2003, 05:48 PM   #7
raven
Perculiar Clownfish

I must say; the widescreen version is very beautifull but unfortunately my computer is not capable of running it at a decent speed so I'll stick to the normal version.
Remi
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:59 PM   #8
Panthera
Hygenius

I've never seen the wide screen.. but.. doesn't it look funny on a regular sized monitor? How can it be "wide" if we are using the same sized monitor.. or maybe I'm misunderstanding the wide screen.
Panthera Tigris Altaica
The largest living cat in the world, the Siberian Tiger possesses both
grace and beauty. Although it spends a lot of time hunting,
its reputation as a vicious killer is undeserved ....
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 10:53 PM   #9
fishbowl
Cramped Quarters

It doesn't completely look bad, but a bit disproportionate as everything is slightly distorted/stretched vertically in full screen mode (this is when using a standard 4:3 monitor).

Note: that there is ~25% more tank horizontally as well as some new coral(purple) added in the aquarium and the bubble column has been relocated. There is also the ability to have 8 fish on screen at the same time (this is not including the starfish).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg widescreen_800.jpg (122.5 KB, 230 views)
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 11:03 PM   #10
fishbowl
Cramped Quarters

I prefer to run it in windowed mode (like Cliff) and have borders on top and bottom to make it look much like a widescreen movie would look like on a standard 4:3 television. When you run it this way everything is perfectly proportionate (and in window mode you usually get higher frame rates). IMO the widescreen is the most beautiful version (especially with CalcNorms on) of Jim's Aquarium thus far (until he gives us the new 3D-Version).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg widescreen_windowed_800.jpg (118.3 KB, 229 views)
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:07 AM   #11
Panthera
Hygenius

Very nice.. thanks.
Panthera Tigris Altaica
Old 09-18-2003, 02:00 AM   #12
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Also, most modern monitors remember the size and position settings for individual resolutions (and color-depths). This makes it possible to set the SS to run at a resolution not used by other Windows work, and then adjust the monitor settings (i.e. w/ the buttons/dials on the actual monitor) until the vertical size is correct.

If I recall correctly, you use a LCD monitor and those normally have a native resolution and the SS might (note: might) look jaggy at other. If so I suggest FishBowl's windowed-mode suggestion albeit you'd have to press "F" and adjust the size of the window every time.

/Tiny Proportions.

That Queen Angel with its cartoon eyes is the sole reason I don't run the wide wersion myself...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 09:32 AM   #13
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by fishbowl
It doesn't completely look bad, but a bit disproportionate as everything is slightly distorted/stretched vertically in full screen mode (this is when using a standard 4:3 monitor).
You use the wide version, and then stretch it to 4x3 ...... Why?
Fishbowl, - IMHO that is a very misleading description of SSA1.1wide!
I am amazed! ...... this subject has been brought up a number of times in the past!
I have posted numerous screen shots of the wide version, the last one only 5 days ago in Seafoam's thread, here:-
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...&threadid=1920
I don't know where the idea that I use it 'Windowed' mode came from, - I don't! - As I have already said, I use it full screen with black bars top and bottom. The correct proportions are 'remembered' by most modern monitors, - as Tiny has just pointed out, - this was also discussed in some detail here:-
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...0&pagenumber=4
There is no appreciable difference in running speed (fps) between the two versions on my system!
Old 09-18-2003, 09:44 AM   #14
Panthera
Hygenius

cjmaddy, what do you mean with black bars top and bottom?

Edit: Nevermind.. I read the thread that you linked and got my answer. And even reading through the thread I still can't understand how you can change the size (vertically) while the SSA is on.. and it NOT affect the rest of your applications. Is the wide screen still available to test?
Panthera Tigris Altaica
Old 09-18-2003, 10:00 AM   #15
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

It depends on your monitor. In my case the monitor switch to another mode when I start the widescreen version. Now I can adjust the screen height (with the little buttons on the monitor) and I have those black bars at the top and bottom.
The monitor automatically switches back to the normal desktop resolution when closing the screensaver.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 10:03 AM   #16
Panthera
Hygenius

Ok, I found it and d/l it, but I guess my monitor doesn't have that option. When I click on my monitor buttons.. those options are greyed out because my cable is a different type, not the typical cable. I forget the name.. video cable? Anyway.. well I tried.

Edit: I can see how the black bars on top and bottom might give the illusion of it being on a wide screen. Bet it looks good.
Panthera Tigris Altaica
Old 09-18-2003, 10:15 AM   #17
cjmaddy
Registered

Panthera, - Yes, as far as I know, the wide screen version is still available! I'm sure Morgan will give you a link.
To change the size (vertically) whilst the wide version SSA is on, is just a matter of adjusting your monitor settings, (if required!), to the correct proportions. - Once set, your monitor will remember them and always show the wide version correctly, - it will NOT affect the rest of your applications ........ trust me! (Unless you have an old monitor!)

Edit! - I've just seen your above post ...... When you say "greyed out" where are you looking?
Old 09-18-2003, 10:45 AM   #18
Panthera
Hygenius

I clicked the "OSD" button on my flat panel monitor, and on the screen it shows me everything from contrast to position, however the 'position' is greyed out and when I try to access it, it brings up a window that says "Digital Video Input .. No Access."
Panthera Tigris Altaica
Old 09-18-2003, 12:06 PM   #19
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Panthera, do you not have actual physical buttons on the front of your monitor somewhere that adjust these things? I have a whole row of them.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:09 PM   #20
cjmaddy
Registered

Sorry, I can't help on that one! ....... but I'm sure someone else will be able to! ........ HELP!
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive