Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 08-05-2004, 09:09 AM   #1
monkpea
Registered

Thumbs Up hacking, adding fish, changing background

Is this possible or are we at the mercy of the developers?

OS X or Windows...

Many thanks,

pea
monkpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:22 AM   #2
cjmaddy
Registered

Oh dear! - What a mistake to make!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:24 AM   #3
Marsh Marigold
Still Folding

My thoughts exactly.

RUN, pea!

Marsh Marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:46 AM   #4
monkpea
Registered

I assume this is a taboo subject?

When I say developers I mean JS and the guys who ported it to OS X, which is the platform I have most experience fiddling with.

Anyway, it's soon to be my dads birthday. He's a marine biologist big on hydrothermal vents and deep sea fish. I thought it would he might like a deep sea screen saver with odd fish, oil pipelines ROV's and so on, rather than an aquarium...

After searching for hack and "change background" and looking through about half of the post titles, I assumed perhaps it was OK!

Sorry.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:05 AM   #5
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Ha-ha. Hi Pea. Some folks here are a bit sensitive to the same repeated questions which have been asked and answered many times over... And, some questions are a bit more sensitive than others. I'm sure someone with proper authority other than myself will be along to answer your question.

If you can't find anything better, who knows, your dad might just enjoy the aquarium. Welcome to the forum. Feel free to browse around the forum.

Minn

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:06 AM   #6
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Hi monkpea,

First let me welcome you to the forum. As to your question, no we do not support any questions about changing the aquarium. There have been people who have tried, but the aquarium is a complex thing and the results left much to be desired. I personally have seen some hacks that were pitiful at best, and totally stupid looking at worst. Jim has worked for years to produce the result that we now have, and I haven't seen anyone produce anything better, from large companies to individuals who have tried ( MHO ). We hope that you enjoy the results, and there is more to come in the future. We are always open for suggestions from the members for future releases, but thats about as far as it goes. Enjoy your time here and keep reading.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:15 AM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I believe the philosophy is, take it as it is or delete it. Please don't deface the art.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:29 PM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

If you are going to hack the program, add fish, and change the background, why not just go the extra 2% and write your own?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:06 PM   #9
monkpea
Registered

Was thinking that!

When I downloaded it I assumed the models for the fish would be quite obviously visible... Writing it from scratch would be quite a leap from changing a few image and text files.

Having never written a program with a modern user interface, or one using graphics, can you give me any pointers? Did you base it on something else? Is the source available? : )

Now I need a book on opengl...

Many thanks,

Pea
Old 08-05-2004, 03:10 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

"Did you base it on something else?"

It is written from scratch in C/C++ using the published specs for making DirectX screen savers.

"Now I need a book on opengl..."

The PC version is written for DirectX. The Mac version is ported to OpenGL.

"Is the source available?"

Wow, how can I answer that question without being condescending... I guess I can't.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 04:34 PM   #11
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 04:43 PM   #12
captain_birdseye
Registered

Originally posted by feldon28
I believe the philosophy is, take it as it is or delete it. Please don't deface the art.
I know its a very nice fish screensaver. I own a copy myself. But, in the final analysis, it is just a fish screensaver.

*flame suit on*
captain_birdseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 05:07 PM   #13
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Just a fish screen saver? Is that what you said? My dear friend, before Jim created his masterpiece there was NOTHING out there with any semblance of realism to it. I am astonish that such a remark has passed your lips and to post it here among Jim’s friends and supporters takes nerve of which I have never seen. In my opinion and I am sure many others here Jim Sachs was a pioneer in this type of graphics work.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:27 PM   #14
Jim Sachs
Developer

Everything is "just" something, if you choose to look at it that way.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:05 PM   #15
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Just my opinion, but when someone puts years into accomplishing a task it goes past being "just" something. Remember that this screensaver was created by 1 man, not a group, not a corporation, 1 man. Who put countless hours of work, sweat, and thought into making it something that he wanted it to be. I think all here agree that it surpasses being "just" something.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:01 AM   #16
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I'm steering clear of this one before I say something stupid...

/Tiny Konst(ig)
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:14 AM   #17
Sergiales
Software Engineer

Hacks?. That word isn't welcomed here. I think that nobody likes seeing their work hacked by other people. As Morgan says, the product is AS IS, enjoy it or delete it, but please don't come here saying that you want to hack others work. Thanks.

Just a fish screensaver?. No, it's *THE* fish screensaver.
Don't imitate. Innovate!.
Sincerely,
Sergio.

Last edited by Sergiales; 08-06-2004 at 06:30 AM.
Sergiales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:25 AM   #18
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

There was a SereneScreen Marine Aquarium Editable Toolkit and Tutorial mentioned on this forum a long while back. I downloaded it using one of those P2P programs and did my fair share of fiddling but all my attempts to improve failed miserably. If you are not a professional computer graphics artist, I'm sure your attempts will be just as bad.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:21 AM   #19
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I believe you vowed never to mention that one on the forum again...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 07:56 AM   #20
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Woops! I believe you are right my friend. I am sorry. I will start my vow again from day one today!
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive