Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
Exclamation Blank Fish Set name bug still persist with add on crash problem

Jim~In this Beta 3, the blank fish set name bug still persist and become a more severe crash bug!!

Although you cannot create a real blank fish set, you can temporary create it and that makes a lot of GUI problem and also program crash.
Please refer to my attachment 3,4 and 5 below.

This is how I reproduce it and I have confirmed that it can be reproduced on any machines, you MUST carefully follow each step.

Initial condition:
1. Launch the MA3 by pressing the preview button on screensaver tab of system properties.
2. While the MA3 is running, press the space bar to bring up the setting.
3. Go to Fish setting and create at at least three set of fish set.
4. Select any of fish set and click OK, to exit the fish setting page and click OK again to return to the tank.

Bug reproduces steps
5. Now press space bar again to bring up the setting and go to Fish setting page again.
6. Press New Set button, DO NOT enter anything on keyboard, instead use your mouse to click and select other fish set under the inputbox. ie: the last fish set(last row) in the listview. NOW, as soon as you change your focus from inputbox to one of the fish set after you made the click, you'll see both of your total fish count and random fish count above has been reset to zero!! [Bug 1]
7. While the last row of fish set is highlighted and the blank inputbox is still overlapped the fist row of fish set, press Enter once, the inputbox is now disappeared.
8. Then press Cancel button to exit the fish setting page, then press OK button to return to the tank view.
9. Now you'll found despite of you hit the cancel button, the tank is now EMPTY, no fish at all. [Bug 2]
10. Now, you press the space bar again, go to the fish setting page again.
11. Press the New Set button.
12. Click and select the last fish set name
13. Press Enter, now you'll found the selected fish set disappeared, or more precisely, the name is blank!![Bug 3]
14. REPEAT step 11 and 13 around 10 or 15 times and you’ll discover that the fish set list is actually growing because the right scroll bar appears. [Bug 4]
15. Now after several iterations and your last action is Enter(step 13), now click Cancel button.
16. Then click Fish Setting button again, and you'll found the fish count of each fish become randomly over hundred or thousands!!![Bug 5]
17. Press OK button to exit this page, and press OK to return to tank, and you'll found the MA3 is now CRASHED!!!!

You can also repeat the critical Step 11~13 by selecting other fish set in the list and you’ll create a temporary list with blank fish set name but the list is actually there, because the fish count above still changes if you re-select other fish set in the list.

You can also try to click the inputbox after Step 11, you’ll see you are actually selecting the fist row(last attachment pic) but not focusing the inputbox.

The inputbox overlapped with lsitview cause a lot of GUI problem as well as the setting problem.

I hope I made my step clear enough.
Being a Test Engineer in ASUS, I become very picky on those GUI bug and I tend to dig further to discover a series of side effect bugs, I think this bug can be fixed with one root cause solved in the program logic. I hope my picky attitude would not disturb you too much Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishSetting05.jpg (132.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg fishSetting06.jpg (131.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg fishSetting07.jpg (129.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg fishSetting03.jpg (128.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg fishSetting04.jpg (138.4 KB, 22 views)
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks, James - that's very clear.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
henemly
asdf

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
that's very clear.  
LOL! Love Jim's sense of humor...
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Thanks James. I noticed a bug with picking out the fish set too but figured that was a mini project for later to see what was up. Thanks for taking the time and lending your expertise and rooting out all the little buggers.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
James

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Thaks, James - that's very clear.  
Glade you could see the problem clearly!!

Originally posted by Surferminn:
Thanks James. I noticed a bug with picking out the fish set too but figured that was a mini project for later to see what was up. Thanks for taking the time and lending your expertise and rooting out all the little buggers.  
Thanks for your support minn!!!
Normally to report a bug, the reproduce step must state as clear as possible to let the R&D to trace down the root cause, it does took my quite a while to figured out the whole process. When I initially discover it, I just couldn't reproduce the fish count over hundred or thousands, so I try my best to recall what I have done before, and apply divide and elimination to narrow my though and assumptions, then finally came out the whole step by step methods.

Sometimes it also need other people to try the same to confirm the bug is also reproducible on other machine to proof my finding, so it's always a good practice to try other's bug finding on your machine. And I see minn did working hard to try other's bug in some thread, you deserve the credit!

It all worth it when the developer could reproduce the bug by following my steps.

In real product testing, bug reproduce is the most challenge task of all.
James C Chen
HTC Corporation
www.htc.com
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Bigmouse
Registered

I tried to play around with the new fish picker, it crashed. I can't reproduce the problem or capture any screens, since I can not get the MA3 run again. Now, when I try to run it, it said "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".... clock keep running but no solution.

Is there any way to clean up the registration in my computer?? So that I can run the program from zero. Please help....

I ran MA3 under 64 bit Vista home premium .
Bigmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #7
James

Jim, in this Beta 4, I found the problem still persist!!

This time the reproduce step is even simpler.

This is how I reproduce it:
Precondition: Default List selected and applied

1.Go to Preview of MA3
2.Press Spacebar to bring up the setting and click Fish Setting.
3.Select Default List
4.Press OK to exit
5.Press OK to go back the fish tank

Bug:
1.Press Spacebar to bring up the setting and click Fish Setting. (The Default List should be highlighted)
2.Press New Set button
3.Click on the Default List (The total fish count become 0!!! See first attached pic)
4.Press Enter button (The Default List would become blank!!!!!See second attached pic)
5.Press New Set button
6.Press Enter
Repeat step 5 and 6 untill the scroll bar appears since this steps actually creates many blank fish set!!!!
7.Now either press OK or Cancel button to exit fish setting page
8.Click fish setting again and you should see the fish count of each fish become randomly over hundred or thousands!!!! If you choose to click PK to go back the fish tank, the MA3 crashes!!!! (See last attached pci)

I suggest Jim to popup a warning dialog if user press enter without entering any characters, then return to the function so the blank fish set would not added into the listview below.

However, I dunno why the step 3 would make the fish count to 0...

Keep it up Jim...

Morgan, if possible, please edit the prefix for Confirmed:Beta 4 so to keep track of the bug issue with version control
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishbug01.jpg (129.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg fishbug03.jpg (127.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg fishbug02.jpg (132.1 KB, 11 views)
James C Chen
HTC Corporation
www.htc.com
Old 10-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
Bigmouse
Registered

This is exactly what I did, got the fish number up to hundreds, and when I click ok, MA3 crashed and I can never run it again. James, how can I re-run the MA3 again?? in order to delete the new blank fishset.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
James

Originally posted by Bigmouse:
This is exactly what I did, got the fish number up to hundreds, and when I click ok, MA3 crashed and I can never run it again. James, how can I re-run the MA3 again?? in order to delete the new blank fishset.  

Well, it looks like the fish count setting has been actually saved in the registry data, therefore everytime you launch the MA3 the memeory overflowed and the application crashed, the best way is use the registry cleaner to clear all the setting (it may also clear your keycode, use with care), search for the forum and you'll find the download link for MA registry cleaner.

Maybe you can try another way, try go into the setting without launching the MA, go to the setting via system properties.

By the way, the fish picker bug only happens when the MA is actually lacunched, if you access the setting page via system properties without launching the MA, you can't reproduce the bug, I guess you can use this way to by pass the crash....maybe...
James C Chen
HTC Corporation
www.htc.com

Last edited by James; 10-29-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
Bigmouse
Registered

YEAH! I get my MA3 alive....thanks James. Won't touch the blank fishpicker again !!!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, you can either delete the MarineAquarium3 key in the Registry or bring up just the Settings screen to change the fish number to something legal.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows