Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
s.winterstein
Registered

Scaling problem with Fishpicker (Vista)

Seems like no one has reported this scaling problem of the Fishpicker interface that I have:

For me, the image showing the fish is not scaled to the available area, but the rectangle used as a selector is. The result is that the rectangle doesn't match the fish (see screenshots).

This is on Vista. The reason might be that I'm running a 120 DPI setting for my display, instead of the standard 96 DPI.

FYI, DPI scaling is a standard setting in Vista. You find it by right clicking on the desktop, selecting "Personalize", and the clicking "Adjust Font Size (DPI)" in the task list in the green column on the left. Mine is set to 120 DPI.
I've also activated "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling" under "Custom DPI". This configuration should be quite common for people using Vista on a large TFT.

This bug has been in from the start, and still appears in beta7g.
Attached Images
File Type: png fishpicker-1.png (118.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: png fishpicker-2.png (142.0 KB, 31 views)
s.winterstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Oh, no - I thought I had fixed it. It's caused by people choosing large Windows fonts, so I hard-coded the font. Looks like I need to go back to the drawing board on this one.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Socrates
Sage

I think I had mentioned previously this happens on my Dad's Vista machine. I wasn't aware this was supposed to have been fixed or I would have rementioned it still happens.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

Second straight day working on this one. Until this came up I had no idea that the diabolical Windows ability to change the DPI even existed. The problem is that it changes the sizes of all Dialog boxes, but not the size of the pictures in them. They could easily have used StretchBlt instead of BitBlt, but noooo.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-04-2008, 03:18 AM   #5
s.winterstein
Registered

Okay, beta7i fixes this problem.

Thanks Jim!

BTW, I'm also a long-time admirer or your work, following it since your early Amiga days.
s.winterstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for mentioning that you were using 120 DPI. If it wasn't for that, I'd still be looking for the cause of this problem. It turns out that there are two things which cause it; setting a DPI other than the standard 96, or using large fonts. I had fixed the second one, but had no idea about the DPI setting. It now works at any DPI setting, not just 96 and 120. It's not an extremely pretty solution, but at least the boxes line up with the proper fish now.
Jim Sachs

Tags
vista dpi scaling problem
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows