Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X
Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
ThingFish
Registered

No Starfish

Hi,
First of all, thanks to the Serene team for realizing Aquarium 3 for the Mac. I just upgraded from 2.6 to 3
It looks very nice......but......I feel version 2.6 was somehow nicer and had more features.
I find the background on 3 a bit bland and not having light control makes it more so. The coral moving is nice but 2.6 had a nicer coral reef, looks wise imo.
What's up with the starfish in 3? I can only add 1 starfish I notice but it does not show up in my aquarium.
What's with the 3 stars behind the fish? What is the purpose of that and how do I use it?
Thanks and looking forward to the answers
Sincere regards
Fred
ThingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
Michael Babin
Mac Development

The starfish starts off on the left side of the tank (was on the right side of the tank in 2.6 and earlier).

As to the stars, they provide a rating system indicating your preference for each fish. When your fish set includes random choices, the ratings are used to weight the selection (higher-rated fish have a better chance of being selected).
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
ThingFish
Registered

Thanks for the reply. Well that's just it.....I don't see a starfish in my aquarium at all...not on the right nor on the left. And I have selected it under options.
Another thing...I notice another poster talks about being able to view the fish in their "wireframe" state. I remember I could do that in 2.6 but I cannot see it in version 3. So how can that other poster see it?
Regards
Fred
Old 11-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
EastBayer
Registered

No Starfish

I miss seeing the starfish climb the glass. Will that be coming back? How about more than one starfish? The starfish in 2.6 seemed to move faster too.
EastBayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Wireframe - hit the W key (cycles between all items in wireframe, fish only wireframe, and no wireframe)

If you could send me a screenshot of your Fish prefs panel and of your tank (particularly the left side), that would be helpful. Also, you can send me your prefs file (in your user directory, under ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost, named com.prolific.ScreenSaver.MarineAquarium3.<string of numbers>.plist).
Old 11-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Originally posted by EastBayer:
I miss seeing the starfish climb the glass. Will that be coming back? How about more than one starfish? The starfish in 2.6 seemed to move faster too.  
As Jim Sachs has stated in other threads in this forum (the SereneScreen forum, not necessarily the SS for Mac topic), there isn't a good transition currently for the starfish from tank bottom to the glass and back. There wasn't one for MA 2.6 and earlier either, but the automatic lighting changes allowed the starfish to "jump" between the two when the lights were out without you noticing the transition. Automatic lighting was removed in MA 3, so the "lights out" state necessary for the transition never occurs. It may come back at some point, or a more realistic transition may be implemented. Those and other features (including things like multiple starfish) are up to Jim as to if and when they will be added.

I don't believe there's been much if any change to the speed of the starfish's movement in MA 3.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
ThingFish
Registered

I see the starfish now

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the help but I must have made a mistake somewhere as I can now see the starfish. Any idea when the lighting control will be implemented>?
Thanks and regards
Fred
Old 11-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Originally posted by ThingFish:
Thanks for the help but I must have made a mistake somewhere as I can now see the starfish. Any idea when the lighting control will be implemented>?  
Glad you found the starfish.

Nothing definite to announce at this time as to if/when such a feature will be added.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

Which is Michael's polite way of saying he's waiting for me to implement it
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
ThingFish
Registered

Thanks Michael. Thanks to you too Jim and I must congratulate you on doing a wonderful job with Marine Aquarium 3. I look forward to watching all the upcoming features unfold.
Regards
Fred
Old 12-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
melgross@usa.net
Registered

starfish on glass

I think a fairly easy way to do this is to take advantage of the panning tank. When the tank pans so that the starfish is off screen, it can get on the glass.

At some points in its wandering, it must just move past the part of the screen that never leaves the visible area in the center of the tank.
melgross@usa.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

An excellent idea! Not quite as simple as it sounds, because code will be needed to keep track of where the starfish is in relation to the edges of all screens, and I'm not quite sure how to do this. But still an idea worth looking into.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X