Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 08-22-2002, 07:47 AM   #1
Mac
Registered

Embarassed Randomize fishes please!!

Dear Mr. Sachs/ALL

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before...,
but dont you think it would be nice if the type of fish change at random at a predefineable time interval rather than having to keep pressing the spacebar to have the type of fish change?!

Thanks a lot.

Mac

BTW, this is great site with great folks about a great program

PS. Waiting anxiously for the3D background.
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:00 AM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

This has been up a few times before. The main reasons it has been rejected previously was:
1. Not to realistic a tank where fish dis- and reappear.
2. Technically it's difficult to destroy 3D objects. – As I understand it (but I could be wrong) all the fish models has to be loaded into the memory at startup even though they wouldn't be shown until later and this would raise the minimum system requirements – and that's not a too popular thing...

Try out the search function on the forum (I think "destroy" would be a good search term as it (naturally) hasn't been used in too many topics).

/TT
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:27 AM   #3
IXNAY
Green Frog

I like it the way it is, please don't change it...
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:52 AM   #4
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I'm sure Mac was thinking of an checkbox for this feature, – just like the other under "Misc" on the settings screen

Tiny Toggle
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:19 AM   #5
ewald
Registered

...please include this feature as an option - so everyone can decide for him/herself if he/she wants it...

every other aquarium has this feature (but I want to use this one)

regards,
Ewald
ewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:45 AM   #6
IXNAY
Green Frog

OK that would be a fine solution
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 02:45 PM   #7
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Um, I thought #2 in my first post was clear enough...

Anyways, perhaps a "Restart the SSA every n minutes" option would be a possible way to circumvent the problem. – Jim, what do you think?

/Tiny Restart

Old 09-03-2002, 05:58 PM   #8
flipper
Registered

TT, actually its not all that technically difficult to randomize models at runtime w/o pre-loading. you see it all the time these days in games. i even have my aquarium app doing this and im pretty much of a hack programmer
flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 07:36 PM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The Aquarium is written in DirectX 6.

Jim had a joy of a time trying to load and unload fish models on the fly. It did not work on all the cards he wanted to support. So instead, he has to destroy and rebuild the 3D world every time you select different fish or the RANDOM setting comes into play.

There is a short, but discernable delay after you exit from the Settings panel. During the delay, the Aquarium is doing as I describe.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 08:02 PM   #10
flipper
Registered

ugh, i didnt know about the dx6 use. i guess dx7 (what im using) has cleaner/better model creation/deletion support then.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:48 PM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

I've stayed out of this discussion because, though it is technically possible to change fish on the fly, I just can't work up enough interest to bump anything else off the to-do list. One species changing into another is something you rarely see in a real tank.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:06 PM   #12
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Well, it could be argued that we're watching just a portion of the tank. All 21 fish are a huge tank and we're watching just one corner of it, so the possibility that we'd see different species swim on and off-screen would not then be so far-fetched.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 03:20 AM   #13
flipper
Registered

it is alot of work coding-wise to get the unloading/loading to work w/o impacting the framerate. im finding the realism side harder work though. even keeping track of all fish separately (so you dont swap one position/orientation for another) there are all sorts of other things which keep coming up which ruins the realism (at least for me).
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive