Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
ant
Fishy

Lightbulb Touch Screen Features?

This is not just for freshwater, but all fish screen savers. I'd love to see fish react to touch screen like feedings, tapping the screen, cats trying to get the fish, etc.
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

I had always planned on this, until I started running out of lifetime at such an alarming rate.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
ant
Fishy

Thumbs Down

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I had always planned on this, until I started running out of lifetime at such an alarming rate.  
Heh. I know that feeling with lack of free time. I am on Thanksgiving vacation this week, but still not enough to do the stuff I need to do!
Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.home.dhs.org) and Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net).
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
alphaacres
Registered

Maybe this could help Great fish movment mouth fins... has the looking down from the top angle (Microsoft Surface Lagoon) and when you touch the waters surface the fish react neat! Could the looking down from the top angle be added to any of the other aquariums?
alphaacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

I don't know about other programs, but the background objects in mine are like a Hollywood set - they only "exist" when viewed from one angle.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
cjmaddy
Registered

Shouldn't that be.... they only "exist" when viewed from a wide range of horizontal angles?....
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, the camera is locked at a certain angle (90 degrees to the background), and dollies back and forth. A bit of the objects' sides are visible in the camera's "peripheral vision" if they are near the borders of the screen. But if the camera's angle varies by even one degree, all kinds of holes show up in the background objects.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
cjmaddy
Registered

Sorry, but can I disagree there Jim...

The camera may be locked at 90°, but its field of view has to be wide enough to "see" the extremes of multi-monitor situations, and also whilst viewing a moving panorama. This results in a 'seeing-around-corners' that produced all those holes found during testing, that weren't apparent on single monitor systems.

I don't think we can consider that... "being viewed from one angle". - IMO, because the scene is traversing across our screen or screens, (without which there would be no 3D effect), background objects are being viewed over a wide range of angles. - The camera may be viewing from one static 'position', - but it is 'seeing' over considerably more than one angle.

Last edited by cjmaddy; 02-27-2011 at 08:45 AM.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, that's the "peripheral vision" I was talking about, and was the reason it took years to develop the 3D background for MA3. But what people keep asking for is to unlock the camera and allow the scene to be viewed from different angles (like the top-down view mentioned here). Even with a bit of the sides of the objects showing, they are still 90% "fronts", and any slight change of camera angle quickly exposes the true nature of the background.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium