Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 05-07-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
albert
Registered

Big Grin Possible Crash Problem??

I am noticing the following on my system. If I have Outlook open as a window (or I suppose any email program) and it is setup to automatically check email a problem is occuring if one of the email servers it polls is down. A error box pops up that the server was down (i.e. Hotmail server) and the SereneScreen saver shuts down also. It no longer is displayed. But oddly enough their is a SereneScrene minimized window in the Task Bar. I can click on that and it will come back up. Is this the expected behavior should the WindowsXP pop up a window without user intervention such as an Email error message. Ideally I would think you would want the SereneScrene saver to stay active until you have "mouse movement" or "keyboard" activity.

Did my question make sense ???
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:27 PM   #2
Pushwall
Fellow Twang

Your question definitely makes sense. And yes, this happens to me too.....only with Notesminder, a program that pops up a window when I've received mail in Lotus Notes. When the window pops up, MA2 minimizes. I've somewhat fixed the problem by using a screensaver manager program that lets you display your screensavers by time cycles. I've got the screensaver manager to redisplay MA2 and GA every 30 minutes. That way if my Notesminder program pops up a window and makes MA2 or GA minimize, the screensaver manager will ensure that MA2 or GA will redisplay when the next 30 minute cycle begins. One other benefit of this is that I've got most of my fish set to random, so I see different fish every half hour!
Pushwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:43 PM   #3
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I run Outlook Express and so far haven't had any problems, but I haven't ran into an error message yet. I will keep my eyes open for this.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:07 PM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I've changed the subject line since this has NOTHING to do with crashing.

There's a discussion on this topic here. Please download the latest MA2 which should resolve this problem. Or you could upgrade to Windows 2000.

It was initially thought that users would want the Aquarium to close if a program brings up a dialog box since it might be an important message. But we've had many requests to change it back so that the Aquarium stays up until an exit is requested.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:37 PM   #5
Pushwall
Fellow Twang

I've tried the latest version of MA2 (5590) with Windows 98SE and the screensaver still minimizes when Notesminder pops up a window saying that I've received email. This isn't the way it's supposed to work though, is it? I'm not complaining though, because like I said the screensaver manager program I use redisplays the screensaver for me when this happens and pretty much fixes the problem in a round about way.

It'd be nice if we could set a parameter box in MA2 for "always maximize". If the box is checked, MA2 would periodically check its current windows state, and if it is in a minimized state for any reason, the program would automatically return to a maximized state. This may be something impossible to program the screensaver to do, but it sure would fix the problem.
Pushwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 05:04 PM   #6
albert
Registered

Thanks Feldon. I installed the newer version and not sure if the issue is improved upon since I would have to wait for my email program to have a problem connecting to the POP3 server first. Appreciate your reply.
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive