Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 05-20-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
nick c
Registered

150 fps?

Hey, I recently posted in the main forum that I am getting 150 fps while playing MP3s and surfing the web. I was asked what my 'rig' was.
I am running a 1.25 GHz G4 which comes with a 64 MB Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card. I have had sustained speeds over 180 fps a few times but I haven't messed around with it enough to know what makes the difference, although I would imagine different fish have different #s of polygons and I just had a bunch of low polygon fish up.
The old PC laptop at work gets 0.48 fps with the three demo fish. Not sure what that set-up is. I think a pentium II.

Anyone running dual G5s? What frame rate are you getting?

I recently downloaded Backlight which lets you run your screensavers as a desktop. It works great, only you can't open folders on the desktop. The Dock and pull-down menus and everything else works fine though. I wouldn't recomend it unless you are getting a pretty good frame rate already. Opening programs and when iTunes switches songs causes it to jerk a bit. Interestingly, if the program is running and I am doing things the fram rate stays high (150), but if the MA is running as the desktop, my frame rate drops to around 56-60 fps if I am word processing and listening to MP3s, with Mail and Safari open.

Apparently "Having the Aquarium as a background is not supported by this forum." [Morgan Feldon] but fyi....

Last edited by nick c; 05-20-2004 at 11:32 PM.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 04:46 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim, for personal reasons, doesn't wish his saver to be used in this manner. Since its his creation, and this is the offical forum for this product, we do not support or troubleshoot people trying this function here. Thats what Morgan was talking about.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:58 AM   #3
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

My 2x2GHz G5 with the old Cinema Display (1600x1024) and a 1280x1024 display does about 83 fps when run together. I get 160 fps on just the Cinema Display, but the fans don't kick in so I'm not utilizing the whole machine.

By contrast, the application does 258 fps on the 1280x1024 display in full screen, and 206 fps on the Cinema Display. So you can see that running in the screen saver module incurs significant performance penalties.

I'll have MA with multiple CPU capabilities soon, and performance will be boosted further.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
AKcrab
Registered

Geez, you all make me want a new machine.
I get just over 50 fps with my G4 867.
Maybe it's time to upgrade my GeForce 2MX 32MB.

Regarding this strange attitude about running the screensaver on the desktop:
There are TONS of topics here that have nothing to do with anything. If there can be a thread about security updates and problems with explorer, why can't there be a thread about running the SS on the desktop? If Jim doesn't want to reply (or feldon or whoever) then don't. What's the big deal?

For me, running the SS on my desktop is merely for the "wow, that's cool" factor. It's eats at my performance, and my desktop is normally covered in windows.

I've never seen feldon (or anyone else) say "we don't talk about that here" in any other topics.
AKcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
Racer-X
Out for a spin

Originally posted by AKcrab
I've never seen feldon (or anyone else) say "we don't talk about that here" in any other topics.
We don't talk about 3rd party modifications or hacked serial numbers.

Glenn
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
AKcrab
Registered

Originally posted by Racer-X
We don't talk about 3rd party modifications or hacked serial numbers.

Glenn
Cool. Neither did I.
AKcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive