Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 12-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
cjmaddy
Registered

DA - MA3 Beta 7 - DirectX ... problem ?

I don't know if Dream Aquarium or Marine Aquarium Beta7 is the cause of this problem, or if it is a fault of DirectX.... But!...

Starting today, 1st December, each time I tried to run DA, I got this Error message... (I have never seen this error message before today!)

I reinstalled DirectX, and re-booted. - No success.
I reinstalled the video card drivers, reinstalled DirectX, and re-booted. - No success.
I restored a complete 'Image' of my OS drive. - No difference.
I downloaded the latest directx_nov2008_redist.exe - No success.... until after a cold reboot!

I then had DA working normally again.... But!...

As soon as I ran MA3, - then DA failed once more, and the above error message was repeated.
Again, I reinstalled the latest directx_nov2008_redist.exe, re-booted, and tried DA ... Success! - Until I started-up MA3 once more!

Other screensaver/programs, MA2.6, or older versions of MA2.9, (Yes! MA3_2.9K5.scr still works for part of each month!), - caused no problems!
But each time any version of MA3Beta7 is started, - then DA fails to run, and produces the above DirectX error.
I then have to re-start my computer, (cold re-boot), in order to be able to run DA.
As soon as MA3 is run... the process starts all over again!
I have checked this with older recent versions of DA (DualScreen), and with all versions of MA3 Beta 7, - all with the same outcome..

I have repeated this procedure many times.

I am posting this on both DA and MA forums.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Odd --

Having ran MA3 Beta 7g most of the day, I gave this a try. I started Dream Aquarium while 7g was running in a window - everything worked fine and I had both running.

I closed DA - closed MA3 - then restarted MA3 and let it run. Closed MA3 - started DA and it still ran fine.

Then closed and restarted DA and checked for updates - it said I have the latest version. Then started both again and both still run fine.

Unless there is a DA version that I need and can't get from a normal update from within the program, I am not having this problem.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
Overlord
Registered

I have dream aquarium also and it has worked fine with every MA3 beta including all the beta7 releases. Directx can be a real pain if something inadvertantly gets corrupt. There are ways to uninstall it properly if you google the web on the procedure. And then install the latest from scratch. The only thing making me scratch my head, (and I'm sure you're going to mention this), is the fact that you restored a previous image.
FYI my rig: winxp pro sp3
pentium d 945 3.4ghz
9600gt 512mb oc'd at 800mhz
video driver version geforce 180.60
directx 9.0c nov2008redist
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

After DA failed, is MABeta7 still able to run or does it fail also?
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
cjmaddy
Registered

Thanks for the feedback, guys, - very much appreciated!

The version of DA I am running is the latest Dual Screen beta, (ver. 1.186), - www.dreamaquarium.com/download_beta.html
(ie. Not the latest official version, updated from within the program. - That is quite old.)

Why did I restore a previous image? ...
I wanted to go back to a known working system from a few days ago. - This problem only occurred for the first time, today!
I use Acronis True Image 9 to make regular Image 'backups'. - I find that restoring an image is often the quickest way to solve some types of problems. And the resulting quick defragged drive is a useful bonus!

After DA has failed, I can still run MA3Beta7, but a cold re-boot of the system is required before I can run DA 1.186 again.

My current system, btw, is...
AMD Athlon XP2500+
1535MB
nVidia 7900GS (Driver 178.24)
Dx 9.0c (Nov.2008)
Win2kPro SP4
Dual VP920 ViewSonic Monitors
Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Edgar

1 Highscore

Do you have any other 3D programs that fails after running MABeta7?
Like other Prolific or old MA26 screensavers?

Edit: However a completely different 3D engine other than DA or MA will be a better test.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
cjmaddy
Registered

Strange you should ask that! .... Why? - Because what had I been doing just before all this happened? ....I'd been checking some older MA2, Goldfish2, and Sharks2, to see if they suffered from the one pixel line that is present in MA3. - In addition to MA3, the line is also present in versions of MA2, but not apparently in GA or Sharks. ... (But that's all for another day!).
.... For my researching, all this trouble is what I finished up with!

But, - I have an important update:

As I've just replied to Edgar's earlier question, ... After DA has failed, I can still run MA3Beta7, - but not DA.

However, I've just discovered that if I then run MA2.6, - DA is then working again!!! ... But it fails again as soon as MA3 is run.

...... ie. MA3 kills DA, - MA2.6 brings it back to life! ..... Work that one out!

...... Oh the joys of beta testing!

Edit:

In addition to MA2.6, - MA3_2.9K5.scr when in full frame, (not in a window!), will also breath life back into DA. - (But only in that part of the month when it still works, of course!)

All versions of MA3Beta7 cause DA to fail. - There is a pattern emerging here. This version of DA (v1.186), and all versions of MA3Beta7, are all designed to have a scene that spreads across two screens! - Those versions of MA that revive DA, are single screen scenes.

Last edited by cjmaddy; 12-01-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
Edgar

1 Highscore

Cliff,
I tried to duplicate this problem and I was not able to.

Does anybody else have this problem?
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
Overlord
Registered

One quick thought. Are you using the crystal? Do you still have the problem with or without the crystal initiated? I'm grasping at straws here but as an old computer tech if we go through everything that isn't causing the problem eventually we may figure out what is. I've learned to try to think of all possibilities and scenarios no matter how far fetched they may be.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

I guess it might be that DirectX virus reported in another thread. Reinstalling might be fixing the files temporarily, but then they get re-infected. (Also grasping at straws.)
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #11
Overlord
Registered

There is a free virus program called SUPERANTISPYWARE you can download and run. I use it frequently and it is excellent. Give it a try. Can't hurt.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

Highlander used Malwarebytes:

https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...8&postcount=15
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:24 AM   #13
cjmaddy
Registered

I still have the problem with or without the crystal. But as you say, - anything is worth trying.

But! - displaying nothing on one monitor, removes the effect. - Further evidence to the pattern emerging that points to using two screens!

However. Whilst displaying MA3 on only the Primary monitor, allows DA to work. - Conversely, displaying MA3 on the Secondary only, doesn't!

I would be interested to try Edgar's fix for the 'none refreshed' bug, to see what effect that might have. That bug is related to displaying on more than only the primary screen.

I have AVG anti-virus installed, and I regularly use Advanced SystemCare 3 to combat spyware etc. - I used Malwarebytes when Highlander recommended it, so I will try that again and report back.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:39 AM   #14
Overlord
Registered

The reason I mentioned superantispyware is this. Just last week I was surfing the internet and got a warning about a possible attack site. Usually when I see this I back out and everything is ok. This time it was too late. Something got in my pc and it started acting crazy. My explorer.exe kept trying to load over and over. I had to shut in down in task manager and run programs from there. Also, my browser kept changing to advertisement sites on its own. I ran avg and avira. Both showed only one detection and it was very low risk. My pc was still acting crazy. I then ran advance system care and it showed no spyware. When I ran superantispyware it detected 15 infections. It also showed 3 in memory. 1 worm and 2 trojans. After superantispyware cleaned up and I rebooted, my system worked like a charm with no more problems. Needless to say I was very disappointed with avg and avira because they are antivirus programs. Advanced system care is one of the best registry repair programs I have ever tried so I will definitely keep it. AVG and Avira are history. Since that incident superantispyware is my dedicated antivirus program. I'm am not saying that your problem is a virus. Just wanted to let you know that the worm and trojans I was infested with should have been caught by AVG and Avira and they were not.

P.S. If I think of any other possible solutions I will post it for you. Good luck!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Overlord,

Have you considered switching to Firefox? Firefox is built differently than Internet Explorer and is much less likely to 'accidentally' install software.

Or if you must use IE, installing Spybot Search & Destroy with their add-ons? The add-ons prevent IE from making unexpected registry changes and block certain programs.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #16
cjmaddy
Registered

In addition to the programs I usually use, I've now run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware....
The 'Quick Scan' (It took 4 minutes), found 4 'objects'. - Their removal had no effect.
The 'Full Scan' of my OS drive, revealed nothing, - (And took 20 minutes!)
The 'Full Scan' of my other drives took a total of 44 mins, and found nothing.

I then downloaded and ran SUPERAntiSpyware.... The 'Quick Scan' took 24 minutes and revealed 104 Adware Tracking Cookies. - Their removal made no difference! - But the program looks interesting and may be worth keeping, - thanks!

So I'm still stuck with having to run MA2.6 every time after running MA3Beta7, - if I want to then run DA.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

Originally posted by Overlord:
Needless to say I was very disappointed with avg and avira because they are antivirus programs. Advanced system care is one of the best registry repair programs I have ever tried so I will definitely keep it. AVG and Avira are history. Since that incident superantispyware is my dedicated antivirus program.  

That's not such a good idea. Superantispyware (SAS) is not an antivirus program, it is an anti-spyware/adware program, the same as MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM). Both of those programs are optimized to find a few, particular types of malware (mainly the latest forms of a number of rogue applications, trojan infectors and adware). They are both very good at that, but there are huge numbers of other "bugs" that they will not find.

On the other hand, true antivirus programs recognize and can deal with huge numbers of other types of bugs, but they tend to have trouble with the very latest thing making the rounds, as well as "grayware" (rogue applications and adware which by their very nature are not viruses).

Your best bet is to run one good antivirus program AND one good anti-malware program. For what little it is worth, I'd recommend:

AV:
Avira - free (nagware) or pay version
Avast - free version
Kaspersky AV - pay version
Norton - corporate version only
NOD32 - pay version

Antimalware:
MBAM - free or pay version
SAS - free or pay versions

Note: both SAS & MBAM free versions are non-resident and have
to be run manually

Just my $0.02 worth....
Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #18
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I have used Kaspersky for some time now and find it to be the least intrusive and does the best job of any I have tried. I give it
Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #19
cjmaddy
Registered

My version of LavaSoft Ad-Aware was not up-to-date. So I up-dated it, and it claimed to have detected 34 'Privacy Objects' + 1 'Critical Object' (Win32 Rootkit Agent).

The subsequent removal and re-boot has made no difference. .(But at least my system should be clean, by now!) .... Back to square-one! ... This has to be a conflict linked with an image spread across more than one screen!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #20
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Cliff after everything else you have tried I don't know if you want to put in the effort, but you can use Kaspersky for 30 days for a free trial. It's what I have used for some time now and I heartily recommend it.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows