Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Dale
Banned

Marine Aquarium Settings Panel - HELP

After the simulation is "feature complete" (i.e., no further changes are anticipated in top-level program behavior, etc.), I believe that the Settings Panel should be significantly improved.

A. HELP should be available for (at least) Program Settings, Fish Settings, and About. This should be based on the principle that what is obvious to us, and obvious to "experienced" users, may not be at all obvious to the first-time, casual user of MA3. In addition, for Display Settings and Music Playlist, either the text on the panel should be expanded to constitute "HELP", or a HELP should be provided.

B. Program Settings: On the panel, describe clearly what "mode(s)" the setting affects. For example, "Display Window Titlebar" only affects certain modes, as does "Exit on Mouse Move". [HELP can explain in more detail, including instances where there is interaction with "hot keys", etc.]

C. Fish Settings Really complex, and needs an extensive (and perhaps context-sensitive) HELP. And maybe an online tutorial. [Footnote: a link to the "Names of the Corals" would be really cool, too]

D. Music Playlist Just a bit more text -- unless this capability is expanded like the Fish Settings, to allow multiple playlists. In that case, more help will be needed.

E. Website Just fine - unless you want to have a separate button for the "Fan Website and Forum".

F. About First, clarify to the extent possible. For example, which keys are "sticky" (Fn?), which are toggles and which aren't, what modes are affected, etc. etc. Then do HELP for things that can't be explained in 3 or 4 words (e.g., Ctrl-C, etc.). Also, assuming it will eventually be helpful to the users, displaying the "location of custom files for the current user" would be good, perhaps with "click here to open that folder".

G. Logo Playlist (or whatever it will be called). I'm guessing that panel will need HELP.

No good program goes unpunished by paperwork. http://static03.instructables.com/file/FYJ7IBEFJ6MMMBJ/

Added editorial note: I selected "Feature Request" for the tag, but it seems to show up as "Feature".
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, some day.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
cjmaddy
Registered

Marine Aquarium Settings Panel - HELP

Well, this should slow down bringing the clams to life! - Dale, what part of Jim being preoccupied with forging ahead on the contents of the aquarium, do you not understand?. - Whilst I have long held the opinion that a 'Help' tab should contain more than just a list of Keyboard Shortcuts, (as in MA2.6), and therefore agree in principle with some of the above, - I also see that there is a time and place for suggesting yet more changes/modifications, to areas that Jim has repeatedly told us he is not currently planning to work on, - AT THIS TIME.

If we want to help him progress with what has been a major undertaking for the past few years, I think it is vital that we recognise that this is principally a one man operation. And we should leave him to get on with it in his own way! - There must be many times when our intended 'help', results in nothing of the sort.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
Well, this should slow down bringing the clams to life! - Dale, what part of Jim being preoccupied with forging ahead on the contents of the aquarium, do you not understand?. - Whilst I have long held the opinion that a 'Help' tab should contain more than just a list of Keyboard Shortcuts, (as in MA2.6), and therefore agree in principle with some of the above, - I also see that there is a time and place for suggesting yet more changes/modifications, to areas that Jim has repeatedly told us he is not currently planning to work on, - AT THIS TIME.

If we want to help him progress with what has been a major undertaking for the past few years, I think it is vital that we recognise that this is principally a one man operation. And we should leave him to get on with it in his own way! - There must be many times when our intended 'help', results in nothing of the sort.  
Why is it wrong to write things down, so that they can be handled later at the appropriate time?

I tend to forget things, if I don't write them down. I also appreciate (in my work) knowing what may be needed in the future.

I have also experienced, quite frequently from "support", the comment that "you should have mentioned this sooner -- it's entirely too late to change that now".

And I really thought we were asked to test and comment - not test and forget.

Finally, why are comments on the number of crystals, or the movement speed of the fan coral, or the movement type of the hands of the clock, more acceptable than comments about the settings panel? [Otherwise, please talk to those folks, too]

However, I am quite willing to follow the author's wishes.

Jim, should I just forget writing things down until the whole thing is "finished"?
Old 02-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

It's OK, Cliff - he's just adding things to the to-do list, without an eye toward any time-frame. I'll enter the HELP menu as item #1,543,211 on the list. (I don't ever actually look at the list - too depressing.)
Jim Sachs
Old 02-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by Dale:
Why is it wrong to write things down, so that they can be handled later at the appropriate time?  
When the time is appropriate, how will we find them all?
I tend to forget things, if I don't write them down. I also appreciate (in my work) knowing what may be needed in the future.  
Then YOU write them down, and YOU keep them, - until the time is appropriate.
I have also experienced, quite frequently from "support", the comment that "you should have mentioned this sooner -- it's entirely too late to change that now".  
Then mention it, but when the time and place is appropriate.
And I really thought we were asked to test and comment - not test and forget.  
Yes we were. But an experienced tester would know when his repeated comments could be seen to be counterproductive.
Finally, why are comments on the number of crystals, or the movement speed of the fan coral, or the movement type of the hands of the clock, more acceptable than comments about the settings panel? [Otherwise, please talk to those folks, too]  
I have personally commented myself on all those, - at the appropriate time and place.
However, I am quite willing to follow the author's wishes.  
Good.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
fozzy
Registered

can't the extra markup in the forum be used ?
instead of bug or feature having a TODO item too.. i suppose they can be searched too.
testing on:
ATI Radeon mobility X2300 - Intel(R) 946GZ Express Chipset Family
fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by fozzy:
can't the extra markup in the forum be used ?
instead of bug or feature having a TODO item too.. i suppose they can be searched too.  
Yep.

As far as I was concerned, the topic was finished when Jim said:

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Yes, some day.  
Old 02-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

So am I allowed to close the topic?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

I tend to focus on whatever the current topics are, and almost never go back to re-read any posts. Occaasionally my memory will be triggered by some current problem, and I'll ask if someone remembers posting something similar once upon a time. Also, I usually don't have the time to read long posts. I'm putting in 20-hour days, and a huge block of text just becomes a blur to me.

Maybe some day I'll get organized and become a list-maker, like my daughter. Probably not, though.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by feldon32:
So am I allowed to close the topic?  
Please.

It would perhaps be helpful if the Prefix tag actually showed up as "Feature Request" - or even just "Later" or "ToDo".

Last edited by Dale; 02-08-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
jleslie
Engineer

Dale - I think it's quite reasonable to list things not to be forgotten in the future, as long as you aren't saying "do them now" then I think it's just being helpful, since you started by saying "after the simulation is feature complete..." I'd put it in that category. (Perhaps you are suffering for some of your early posts causing some friction.) I certainly think programs come across much better to casual users if they have at least a small amount of well thought-out help.

If Jim doesn't have the time to read them then perhaps it's time for single bullet points with follow-up detail if requested?
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
Dale
Banned

Add Display Settings panel help.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows