Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-04-2002, 01:01 PM   #1
SubWater
Registered

Big Grin HELP!!! I have graphic problems !!!???!!!

Hello

I'm from Germany & just downloaded the Demo, but there is a problem...

...when i run the Demo there is a "flimmering". The Background and some fishes are not displayed correctly. Some parts are flimmering. But only some parts of the screen. If the fish is in this part he also flimmers, but when he swims to another part, for example upper right corner there is no flimmering. Who has this problem too, and who knows a solution for it ????

I have a notebook with SiS630 Graphic Chipset. I already tried many older and newer drivers, but even the newest doesn't work.

Greetings
SubWater
SubWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 01:43 PM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Have you run any other 3D applications? Is this the only program which show these problems?
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 02:14 PM   #3
SubWater
Registered

No. I didn't have any problems with other 3D Programms. But it seems to be a problem with the program and DirectX 8.1

I have WinXP and if I turn of the DirectX Hardware Acceleration the Saver looks great. BUT with 0.5 fps :-(

So, maybe there is a code error in the source Code of the programm which needs to be fixed for some DirectX Graphic Cards ???

Greetings
SubWater
Old 04-04-2002, 03:31 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

No, there is not an error in the program. Either your drivers are bad, your card is running out of memory, or another app is stealing clock cycles..
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 04-04-2002 at 04:57 PM.
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 03:47 PM   #5
SubWater
Registered

Unhappy

Oh oh oh NO
NO NO NO

Wait

Weather my drivers nor my memory is bad here.
I have 64MB of memory, and if this isn't enough i don't know what would be enough. And my drivers are ok with other D3D HAL Programs. But I have written this above.

That was no attack against YOU. I Only thought about it. And thats OK.

If you have the chance you should look at the Programm running on a SiS630 Chipset. It looks strange.

Would be great if this can be removed

Greetings

SubWater
Old 04-04-2002, 04:39 PM   #6
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Sub, Morgan (Feldon23) has listed the SiS 630 as a chipset capable of running the screen saver in the FAQ. This would indicate that the SS has been run successfully on computers with that chipset. Also, I'm assuming your computer hasn't got 64 MBs of dedicated video memory.

Jim, aren't you being a bit edgy now? Evidently SubWater had tried other D3Ds and a statement beginning with "So maybe..." and ends with "???" couldn't (IMHO) be considered too bumptious.

/Calle
Old 04-04-2002, 09:05 PM   #7
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

There are some new notebooks that have 64MB of dedicated video ram. The new Dell 8200 has that much in a GF4 440 card. But I doubt that the one mentioned here has that much.

SubWater, what Jim is refering too, is the amount of memory that your video card specifically has, not the amount of memory that you have installed in your computer. If your video card doesn't have enough memory to handle everything you can get some wierd problems. Also, check and see if you have any other programs running in the background that might be stealing some of your system's power, ( virus programs, email programs, and so on ) this also can cause problems. If you need any help finding out any of these things, you are welcome to come into the chatroom and we will be glad to assist you.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 12:04 PM   #8
SubWater
Registered

Post Memory + Apps

Ok, maybe I missunderstood something. But there seems to be realy a problem with the Program.

I have a SiS630 Notebook with 256MB RAM and at the moment i use from this 256MB RAM, 64MB as shared video memory for my videocard.

The Saver runs smooth at a FPS of 34 - 38. But there are still that strange irritations in the middle of the screen. But only in the middle. All around it looks great. And i have NO other apps or Services running. And the speed is Fine. But i discovered something strange. As in the SiS630 has also a soundcard onboard I made some experiments. And when I'm running WinAmp during the Saver is on, then the Irritations are fewer, or even gone for some seconds, then they are back again, but not in the old itensity. ....and so on.

When WinAmp is off again the irritations are there in the old strong itensity. So there must be a Conflict between DirectSound and Direct3D-HAL Emulation. All drivers are the newest. I have even tried older drivers. From the soundcard too.

Would be nice if someone could help me.

Greetings SubForcer
Old 04-08-2002, 12:28 PM   #9
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Man, this is freakish. And WinAmp is improving the situation.
I'm lost for now. Perhaps someone else has the necessary experience required
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:07 PM   #10
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I will have to do some research to make sure of this, but if I am not mistaken you are correct and the Sis630 is an integrated adapter that shares system ram for video purposes, not a dedicated card specifically for video. Most of the reviews that I have seen about these types of setups, say that they work well for standard apps, but they are not really geared for intensive 3D video, and usually perform badly on games and things of this nature. Since the aquarium pushes hard in exactly this area, you may not be able to run it any better. I will try and find out some more info and let you know.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:25 AM   #11
Rexfelis
Registered

I have similar problems running it on laptop. I seem to remember seeing something with the last version, about it not running correctly on an LCD screen. I haven't tried to run the new version on it tho. Everytime i tried to run the older version, it would lock up, tighter than a drum & I'd have to shut it off to get out of it. The screen saver itself ran fine, but when I tried to exit it, that's when my Dell would lock up.
Oh well, at least I can still use it at home, lol
Rexfelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 05:58 AM   #12
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

It has nothing to do with an LCD screen. This screen saver takes a fairly strong video card to run well, and one capable of rendering D3D, period. Until recently, most laptops didn't have video card hardware good enough to handle it. Alot of them still don't. That's one of the main reasons why Jim has always insisted that before people buy it, they try the Demo on whatever system they intend to run the saver.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:43 AM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Rexfelis said:
I have similar problems running it on laptop. I seem to remember seeing something with the last version, about it not running correctly on an LCD screen. I haven't tried to run the new version on it tho. Everytime i tried to run the older version, it would lock up, tighter than a drum & I'd have to shut it off to get out of it. The screen saver itself ran fine, but when I tried to exit it, that's when my Dell would lock up.
Either the Dell does not have a 3D card, or it needs new drivers.

P.S. If you come in the chatroom, stay more than 10 seconds, and say hello, you'll find that the last 3 times you have joined, there have been people here talking. Please stay and chat next time.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 04-10-2002 at 08:49 AM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 11:31 PM   #14
Rexfelis
Registered

sorry about that, Feldon. all i've seen there is you. i'll try to come in a lil' eariler from now on & see if i can catch anybody there.

you're right about the Dell, it does some 3D, but it's not made to handle anything that's as 3D as the screen saver
Rexfelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive