Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 11-16-2005, 10:03 AM   #1321
Jim Sachs
Developer

Encore asked for two more fish to boost hard-copy sales through the holidays.

No, there won't be any more fish before the 3D background. In fact, I have to re-do all the existing fish using an entirely different modeling scheme.

Morgan asked for the Achilles Tang. I decided on the Clearfin Lionfish because I could use my basic model for the Volitans Lionfish, with its working mouth and gills.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 11-16-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:35 PM   #1322
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Bummer. One – nothing to Yodelking (we speculated a bit on the ond fish in a 3D tank).

/Tiny Nothing
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #1323
toddfish
Registered

hey jim,

I'm very excited to see the new fish swimming in my tank! What do you mean by a 3-D background? does this mean the camera will be moving through the tank with changing perspectives? or does mean that you will use some 3D program to create the still image of the aquarium?

also, why do you have to redo the fish models? they look great the way there are.
toddfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #1324
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Todd,
As of right now the fish are made up of 3D polygons (107 of them I believe except for the lionfish) and the background is a 2D (i.e. normal) image, cut up to enable fish to swim behind and in front of parts of it. If you press "W" while the program is running (and have "Exit on mouse movement" not selected) you will see how the background is set up.

The problem with this is that collision detection is difficult and the 3D objects (the fish and starfish) cannot interact or climb on the 2D background.

Jim intends to recreate the entire background as 3D objects made up of lots of polygons. The 3D version will also be twice as wide as the current one. This means the camera will (if you want it to) pan left and right and thus enable you to side the coral from slightly different angles. Folloing the 3D background will hopefully be a few "creature packs" with additions to the aquarium in form of special animals like a cleaner shrimp which then can climb on the coral or a Mandarin goby which can dig around in the gravel.

Hope this helps

/Tiny Breakdown

P.S.
Made a typo in the post above – it's supposed to read "...the old fish in the 3D tank)."
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:14 PM   #1325
johnblommers
The Architect

Check out "Fish"

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
...Jim intends to recreate the entire background as 3D objects made up of lots of polygons. The 3D version will also be twice as wide as the current one. This means the camera will (if you want it to) pan left and right and thus enable you to side the coral from slightly different angles. Folloing the 3D background will hopefully be a few "creature packs" with additions to the aquarium in form of special animals like a cleaner shrimp which then can climb on the coral or a Mandarin goby which can dig around in the gravel  
My sense is that constructing a navigable 3D aquarium will be a fun challenge for Jim S. Given that Jim S. is such a perfectionist, it is going to look at least 2x better than anything he's done before.

There IS a free 3D aquarium out there and it's called Fish and its available for Mac OS X It's not as nice as Jim S's work but it's fun. According to the author:

by Oriol Ferrer Mesià
oriol@oriol.mine.nu

http://oriol.mine.nu

This is my Multimedia Engineering Graduation Project at the Audiovisual
Technologies Department of La Salle School of Engineering, and also my very first contact with Cocoa.

The Shark fish model and animations are taken from the "Atlantis" example included in Xcode. Other models are taken form http://www.toucan.co.jp/ and then made lowpoly.
The Fish icon is taken from xFish, an icon pack made by PixelJerk.

Many thanks to:
my love,
my parents,
my friends,
my cat,
Pixeljerk for the icon,
Marc Monguió for his interesting ideas,
and Apple.
So he's a cat lover too, so he MUST be good people!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FishScreenSnapz002.jpg (172.3 KB, 115 views)
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:26 PM   #1326
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

My only comment to that is that Oriol has a LARGE aquarium...

/Tiny Likes Tiny Tanks

Old 11-20-2005, 10:29 AM   #1327
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by toddfish:
hey jim,

I'm very excited to see the new fish swimming in my tank! What do you mean by a 3-D background? does this mean the camera will be moving through the tank with changing perspectives?  
The current background is a composite of several photos. It is 2D in nature, even though the swim seemingly swim in front of and behind it.

The 3D background will look very similar to how it looks now, but it will be fully created in 3D so that crabs and other creatures can crawl over it and hide inside of rocks, etc.

The camera will pan left and right, but you will not be able to change depth or "fly through".
also, why do you have to redo the fish models? they look great the way there are.
The models don't allow the fish to dart off or swim vertically, plus the fish don't "breathe".
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:08 PM   #1328
Jim Sachs
Developer

One reason the models need to be re-done is the rapid improvement in monitor resolutions. When I first created the Aquarium, most people ran their monitors at about 800x600, so I made the background at a hi-res 1024x768 - unheard of as a background for a 3D program. At that res, many things are not very noticeable, like the fact that the side fins of the fish are separate objects which are not actually attached to the fish. Today's hi-res screens show this quite clearly. The new fish will be all one mesh, so the skin will stretch over the fin joints as they move. Same goes for the eyes.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-21-2005, 04:39 AM   #1329
drfish
the Doc

So for the double wide background for high res monitors you're talking what for the new one? 3200x1200? 4096x1536? Of course Mac fans won't be happy unless you do something based on 2560x1600 for the 30" cinema display...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:23 AM   #1330
Jim Sachs
Developer

Probably something like 3200x1200.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #1331
drfish
the Doc

That should work out really well, all the 1920x1200 folks out there (like yourself come to think of it) should be very pleased and that's by far the most common extreme resolution nowadays.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:03 PM   #1332
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by drfish:
. . . the most common extreme resolution . . .  
Lovely choice of words there, CWW...

Old 11-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #1333
drfish
the Doc

I could think of none better.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:50 PM   #1334
clifdene
Registered

How does one become a beta tester?
Clifdene
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:10 PM   #1335
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Right now there are no more Beta testers required, but thanks for your interest.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 AM   #1336
Tonys Fishtank
Registered

Random Effects

Hi all

Has anyone worked out how frequently the random fish change.

Mine don't seem to change hardly at all.

Do they only change each time the screensaver comes on? or will the fish change periodically if the screensaver is left on??

Hope someone can help

Cheers
Tony
Tonys Fishtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:27 AM   #1337
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Random fish settings will change fish when the screensaver is restarted.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:53 AM   #1338
iMark
Registered

Have the new fish been released yet?
iMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:35 AM   #1339
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Tonys Fishtank:
Hi all

Has anyone worked out how frequently the random fish change.

Mine don't seem to change hardly at all.

Do they only change each time the screensaver comes on? or will the fish change periodically if the screensaver is left on??

Hope someone can help

Cheers
Tony  
A lot of people have asked to have the fish change out after a designated time frame (5-10 minutes) but this feature has yet to appear in the Aquarium. The quickest way to change out the fish is to press the SPACE bar twice.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:36 AM   #1340
Jim Sachs
Developer

Regarding the new version, Prolific is putting their efforts into getting the new Goldfish update out the door, then will turn their attention to MA.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows