Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
rctneil
Registered

Question Crystal Addon

Hello, Is there any chance that while your working on crystal additions that maybe you could add in some sort of notification on the crystal just to show that the user has an email. Maybe a little tiny envelope icon is illuminated near the bottom of the crystal. Something that won't distract from the aquarium but something you can check now and again without having to turn off the saver. If you go ahead with this please make it compatible with Mozilla Thunderbird!

Thanks

Regards,
Neil
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
hololo
Registered

Maybe it's an option in MA3, not another version
hololo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
rctneil
Registered

What do you mean? I havn't said anything about another version? Of course it would be an option
Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

Even though I can see the use of this feature, I don't think a flashing email icon is something I'd like to see in my aquarium. Why not just have your favourite email-program running in the background and make it play a horrible sound every time you get an email?
A clock in the aquarium is bad enough.
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

There's no way I'd venture into browsers and email systems. That's for someone else to spend their lifetime on.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 02-03-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
CodeMonkey
Registered

If you get bored you could make what the crystal displays a plugin and people could do whatever wild and wonderful things they want
CodeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
rctneil
Registered

I didn't mean have it flashing, the icon could be tiny and just be engraved into the crystal.

I also didn;t mean notification of email from web based email systems, just from desktop apps like Outlook and Thunderbird.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Unless I am missing something here, I don't quite see the point of that one. Either one of two things, Jim would have to program in all the smtp protocols and let the ss do the actual work, or just let it notify you if some other email client gets some mail.

Most others already let you attribute sounds when mail comes in like YK says in post #4, so I'm not really sure I see the point. And like Jim says, there is no way he is going to open that kettle of fish to get actual email working with the SS.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

Learning how to communicate with other programs (to see when emails come in, etc.) is not even close to something that I would consider.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
VinceMoll
Registered

Jim,
I know you have been working like crazy to get the clocks for the crystal together, so here is something for the future wish list. Would it be possible to have the clocks chime or gong on the hour. Just something maybe to keep in mind after the clocks are up and running complete.
VinceMoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
cjmaddy
Registered

My tropical fish aquariums never played music, they never contained photo frames, they didn't have clocks or calendars or other advertising matter, they didn't go on the internet to receive e-mails, - and they certainly didn't chime or gong on the hour!!!

They had fish and plants!

A few desktop icons on a computer simulation tank, would seem to pale into insignificance by comparison with that lot! - (But I don't want those either!)

Let's stop all this madness... My vote is for fish and corals............... And nothing more!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

In general I agree. I think some added functionality that will help sell Jim's work is fine, most of it isn't visable, and that's fine. Playing music is ok, the crystal is ok, ( mainly because I really abhor that piece of coral it replaces ) it has Jim's logo and some functionality for users as well. But, I dare say that spending months on functionality instead of artwork is not what Jim had in mind.

Lets see the clams move Jim!
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
henemly
asdf

Ya, I think 'hourly chimes' is going a bit to far
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
Jim Sachs
Developer

Sorry - Not gonna happen.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
jleslie
Engineer

Actually I'd have liked the e-mail icon, so don't have to stop the aquarium every so often to see if you have e-mail, oh well...

BTW it seems u can do it simply with VBA code (from http://mattcollinge.wordpress.com/software) or there's an open-source prog with BSD licence (http://cloutmon.cvs.sourceforge.net/...tmon/cloutmon/) which should show what needs to happen...
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #16
Jim Sachs
Developer

Progress report - I've found a clearer "look" for the digital clock numerals. I'd been trying to stick with the traditional modular style, but that just wasn't working, so I went with this. (Eventually there will be several styles to choose from.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DigiClock.jpg (64.3 KB, 57 views)
Jim Sachs
Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
jdtoomb
Registered

Looks good!
jdtoomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

Originally posted by jleslie:
Actually I'd have liked the e-mail icon, so don't have to stop the aquarium every so often to see if you have e-mail, oh well...  
One way to achieve the same thing is to use something like the freeware Jet Mail Monitor. You can download a copy from:

http://www.brothersoft.com/jetmailmonitor-68107.html

I haven't personally used it in some time but I ran an older version of it for a couple of years. You can set it to check multiple email accounts and notify you of new emails in a variety of ways including playing a user selectable sound file.
Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #19
henemly
asdf

Jim, digi-clock looks beautiful. Nice font! (what is it's name)
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #20
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Progress report - I've found a clearer "look" for the digital clock numerals. I'd been trying to stick with the traditional modular style, but that just wasn't working, so I went with this. (Eventually there will be several styles to choose from.)  
It seems to "glow". Does that change the lighting on the objects in front of (and below) it? Does it change the lighting on the fish, as they pass near?
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows