Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X
Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #81
Endie
Registered

Hi Jim,

thanks for the new build! MA 3.2 is running here on my PPC Mac pretty solid. No changes found compared to the last beta, except that german localization is back in with the need to be polished some day. For now it's working without loss of functionality anyway.

If you look into that bubble issue I've mentioned in my previous post: The bigger bubbles seem to be there but not visible in normal mode, as you can see them in wireframe mode represented as small dots rising up quite fast.
If you need screenshots, just tell me, so I will attach some with my next post.

Endie.

PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1,25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro, OSX 10.5.8, 10.4.11
Endie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #82
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Hi Endie,

I just put up a version which has the non-English localizations pulled. Thanks for catching that.

The rest will get attention when my day job gives me a break.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #83
GRChachi
Registered

Thanks for the new build....
I noticed that the bubble issue that Endie mentioned is happening on my iMac OS-X Lion with 3.0. I never took issue with it, thinking it was just a change.
GRChachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #84
bobert
Registered

Originally posted by JimO'Connor:
I posted a release build of the last source code set. No time out. Otherwise, identical.

Where do I find a download link?

Can't see one anywhere! I'm new on here so please be kind.

Thanks

Bob
bobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #85
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Bobert,
We specialize in brutality!

http://www.orderndev.com/downloads/M...quarium3_2.dmg
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #86
bobert
Registered

Originally posted by JimO'Connor:
Bobert,
We specialize in brutality!

http://www.orderndev.com/downloads/M...quarium3_2.dmg  

Thank you! I've been on several forums where users take no prisoners so I don't take a chance that I may upset someone.

You all seem civilized here though

Bob
bobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #87
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

GRChaci -- thanks, that is what I suspected.
Bobert --
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 06-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #88
Michael Babin
Mac Development

New build available

A new build of Marine Aquarium 3.2 for the Mac is available for download from the Order N Development web site.

http://www.orderndev.com/downloads/M...ium3_2_810.dmg

The most significant change in this build (vs. the previous one) is that the application and screen saver are signed with Prolific's Developer ID, in preparation for Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) and its new Gatekeeper feature.

Please download the new build and let us know if you have any problems with it on any supported version of Mac OS X (10.4 or later).
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #89
GRChachi
Registered

Michael --
I am running the bata version 3.2 on my system with no problems.
I just downloaded the new 3.2 from your posted link. I'm able to load this new version 3.2 into my screensaver location but... When I try to assign this version as my screensaver I get a message that you cannot run this screensaver on this computer... call Prolific for a newer version.

I am running:
Mac OS X
Version 10.7.4
2.8 Ghs Core 2 Duo
4 gb SDRAM
Old 06-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #90
dsanfili
Registered

I ran into this same problem when I installed the new 3.2 version by dragging the the screensaver file to my /Library/Screen Savers/ folder. I then tried installing it by double clicking on the on the screensaver file and all went well. I don't know what happened - I've never run into this before, but this version does not seem to like being installed manually.
dsanfili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #91
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Thanks for taking the time to download and try the new beta version. Sorry to hear you are having a problem getting it to run.

It would be helpful to list the exact steps you take to install the new version of the screensaver in place of the old version. As dsanfili noted, you can double-click the screen saver in the disk image file and the Finder will offer to replace the current version (with authentication).

There are two locations where the screen saver can be installed: /Library/Screen Savers/ and ~/Library/Screen Savers/. The first is located at the top level of your boot drive, and makes the screen saver available to all user accounts on your system. The second is located in your user directory (available in Lion by holding down the Option key when selecting the Go menu in the Finder) and makes the screen saver available for just your user account.

The link/alias to "Screen Savers" in the top level of the MarineAquarium3.2 disk image points to the system directory (/Library/Screen Savers/). Dragging the screen saver to it is the same as dragging the screen saver to the /Library/Screen Savers/ folder in the Finder. On Lion, I haven't had success replacing the screen saver located there by dragging and dropping the newer one to that link/directory, even after authenticating. I have to double-click the screen saver and let the Finder replace it (after authenticating), or remove the old screen saver manually (drag it to the trash, empty trash, possibly requiring selecting a different screen saver in System Preferences first) before placing the new version in that same folder.

The "You cannot use the Marine Aquarium 3.2 screen saver with this version of Mac OS X. Please contact the vendor to get a newer version of the screen saver." message seems to be the default message displayed whenever there is any problem trying to load a screen saver. One case where it can be triggered is when Mac OS X gets "confused" about the the location of the screen saver. For example, if you have the screen saver installed in /Library/Screen Savers/ and selected as the current screen saver, then move it to ~/Library/Screen Savers/, you will encounter this message. The fix is to open System Preferences, select a different screen saver, then select the MA 3.2 screen saver again.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #92
GRChachi
Registered

As dsanfili said... It seems to be a manual loading problem. I'm able to load and run if I double click the icon, it installs and runs fine. The problem is when (On the displayed window that shows the saver and an applications folder.) I drag the icon to the Applications folder in that window; authenticate then assign the 3.2 in the screen saver preferences... I get the message. This happens when I have the old saver and if I have removed the old saver.

The new Bata is running fine otherwise.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #93
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Lion bug

It appears you've uncovered a bug in the Finder when trying to copy and replace a packaged file in at least the latest version of Lion (10.7.4).

Setup: you have a packaged file (for example, Marine Aquarium 3.2.saver) in the /Library/Screen Savers/ directory. You have another copy of a packaged file with the same name elsewhere that you want to copy to that directory, replacing the existing file (for example, Marine Aquarium 3.2.saver on a mounted disk image).

1. Drag and drop the new version of the packaged file to the folder (or a link to it, as also found on the mounted disk image).
2. Alert appears: "Marine Aquarium 3.2.saver can't be moved because 'Screen Savers' can't be modified." Options to Authenticate or Cancel. Choose Authenticate.
3. Alert appears: "An older item named "Marine Aquarium 3.2.saver" already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the newer one you're moving?" Options to Keep Both Files, Stop, Replace. Choose Replace.
4. You're prompted to enter a username/password to authenticate as an admin user. Enter them.
5. Alert appears: "The operation can't be completed...". Select OK.

The packaged file (Marine Aquarium 3.2.saver) is still present, but is now empty (zero bytes). Right/option-click on it, choose Show Package Contents, and you can see that it is now empty. The next time you open System Preferences/Desktop & Screen Saver, it will still be listed but disabled and the "You cannot use the Marine Aquarium 3.2 screen saver on this computer." message is displayed.

Workaround: double-click on the new version of MA 3.2 to replace the old version, rather than drag-and-drop to the directory/link.

This problem does not seem to be present on previous versions of OS X that I've tested (10.4 through 10.6), or on upcoming major releases of the OS.

Authentication as part of the copy may be a contributing factor to the bug, since I did not encounter a similar problem when replacing the application in the /Applications directory through drag-and-drop (wasn't asked to authenticate to do so).

Filed a bug report with Apple on this one (Radar).
Old 07-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #94
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Marine Aquarium 3.2 for Mac released

Available for download from the SereneScreen.com web site. Supports the newly released OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), while still supporting all previous configurations (10.4 and later).
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X