Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 08-28-2002, 02:42 PM   #1
pipbal
Registered

Cool some news about the 3d background ?

Hi Jim ,

do you have some news about the 3d background 4 us?
Better 2 burn out then 2 fade away
pipbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 04:02 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

First the Freshwater Aquarium, then the 3D background.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 06:05 PM   #3
flipper
Registered

jim, if you need 3d collision intersection/detection code, i have a number of resources that might prove useful to you. theres some pretty nice royalty-free libraries out there that do all of the drudge work for you and will work both for fish-coral collisions as well as fish-fish collisions. im talking about the OPCODE, RAPID, QuickCD type of libraries.
flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 06:44 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

Those might come in handy when I return to the 3D background. They have to be public-domain, though -- not just royalty-free. Also, some of these libraries are so large that they dwarf the rest of the program.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-04-2002, 08:23 PM   #5
flipper
Registered

good points i had not considered. here's 2 that are public-domain:

if you pre-determine your bounding boxes for all model geometry, you might want to take a look at http://www.magic-software.com/SourceCode.html . the MgcIntr3DBoxBox.cpp source (in the 3D intersection section) would be ideal for you as the 2 boxes can be any size and with any orientation. you would only have to write your own code to traverse through your box pairings. a pretty simple and very small code footprint solution.

the other one is a complete CD library, OPCODE, and is found at http://www.codercorner.com/Opcode.htm . in dll form its about 1/4 MB (75KB compressed). one thing a library would give you would be faster collision detection since they typically use more intersection tests and also use pre-calculated data structures optimized for quick testing. they also allow for complete flexibility re: model data (same code for different aquariums for instance) and would provide a better set of bounding boxes (better fits) as they calculate the boxes themselves (you just provide the triangles). they also will go down to the triangle/triangle intersection level if you request - which may be used for such things as starting up a fish coral polyp eating animation cycle.

hope these help. i have more if your interested.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:38 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

I can only use bounding boxes for the rough collision detection. For the fine stuff, like fish pecking at coral (or each other), I need to know if any part on one object bumps into any part of another object. And the fish and coral are constantly morphing.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-05-2002, 03:34 AM   #7
flipper
Registered

thats why i thought a full library might be best overall. if you want it to it will tell you exactly which triangles from each model are intersecting. so you should be able to determine if its the fishs mouth or the fishs tailfin. there is a big price to pay memory-wise though (20 bytes per triangle just for the CD stuff). and the morphing issue.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive