Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-07-2003, 11:14 PM   #1
mwlahn
Registered

Exclamation "SereneScreen Marine Aquarium Time" - Coming Soon

I just got an email from Prolific that the Marine Aquarium Time version should be public by the end of the month. From the email, I quote.....

"MAT will be available on the website at the end of the month (by Feb 1st). Sooner if we conclude a review with fans of the website sooner. We will be conducting a circulation of MAT free to a large number of the fans of the website who want to participate, within two weeks or so. If you watch the site for the announcement, you will learn of this free distribution in a few days to a week."

Further to this it sounds as if those who participate will get the MAT for FREE!

"Go ahead and register the MA you have. When MAT comes out to the fan website, we are going to give it to interested persons for free, with the sole obligation that you give us your feedback about the product. What you like, what you do not like...
So you will have both products, for the price of one and some fan site diligence..."

Keep watching here (I assume) for more developments!
Murray Lahn
mwlahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:22 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I've been waiting for more info before posting about this. Good summary.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 12:25 AM   #3
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
This is just same as the one that Morgan post b4 in this thread
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...&threadid=1152
and in the thread it stated that Marine Aquarium Time will be $24.95 and there is no upgrade/sidegrade price from the other aquarium products. It's a business product primarily.

But now it become free for limited interested ppl?

an I'm confused about "Go ahead and register the MA you have"
does that mean we register our keycoade somewhere as I like to participate this free distribution?
and where to register and participate?

I'm lost here
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 01:39 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

There are more details to come, but it looks like forum members/early adopters will be able to get Marine Aquarium Time for free if they have already purchased the Aquarium.

There's no place to request it or sign up just yet. Stay tuned!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 01-08-2003, 07:19 AM   #5
SunKing
Registered

WooHooo!! That's great news - THANKS!
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:28 AM   #6
mwlahn
Registered

Sorry, my comment about "go ahead and register you MA" was Prolific's response to me about why I hadn't registered MA yet. I wanted the MAT version and based on the previous posts here I didn't want to register MA and then have to pay out another $25 for the MAT version. He's saying now go ahead and register and I'll get BOTH versions!

Murray Lahn
Murray Lahn
Old 01-08-2003, 08:10 AM   #7
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Neat. Thanks for clearing that up, Murray.

/Tiny Time Version
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 09:30 AM   #8
cjmaddy
Registered

A word of caution! - This is Prolific, so don't hold your breath!

Let's just hope this clock project goes better than the Wide version is STILL going!

They have still to produce a solution to the Lionfish/Three-striped Damsel problem in the wide version, reported last August! - After five months with nothing! - you start to question whether it is worth sending them any feedback. - What do they do with it?

The last I got from Prolific was :-

"Yes, thanks. We are very close to a full update with all these fixes made."
............ and that was on the 3rd October!

I am not now, after the Wide version experience, a big fan of Prolific. If that means I get left out of any MAT perk, then so be it! ..... I have said what I think needs saying!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:38 AM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

The Lionfish/3-Stripe Damsel problem?

The widescreen problem? Anyone can get this from Morgan.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:58 AM   #10
cjmaddy
Registered

This seems very strange Jim, me telling you about the The Lionfish/3-Stripe Damsel problem, but it has all been documented in the beta forum!

Has something been done that I have missed?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 12:13 PM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The Lionfish/3-Stripe Damsel problem?

The widescreen problem? Anyone can get this from Morgan.
We're up to Widescreen 1.1.6 as far as test versions. We reported to Reichart in October (he no longer uses the beta test forum, all communications about betas are private e-mails to him so it's impossible for me to track what's going on) that there were some issues with manually picking the Lionfish and/or 3-Stripe Damsel vs leaving everything on random. To this day, there's still no fix that I know of. I just got 1.1.7, the dual monitor version, from Reichart almost 2 weeks ago but it does not work on my system nor does it work on someone else's who e-mailed me about it. It might fix the Lionfish/3-Stripe selection bug but I can't use it.

It really seems like someone at Prolific is being given a tiny slice of time each week to try to dedicate to the Aquarium and then go back to all their other tasks. And I'm sure that it takes them a few minutes to figure out what they did last week, then start coding, then try to test it, then get swept up in everything else.

And I really disagree with the idea of everything now being handled by private e-mail. I've always thought that a beta forum where each bug gets its own topic and then people reply to those topics is the best because all the information and diagnostic info about that bug is in one place. But this is how they're doing it.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:04 PM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, I'll be darned. I just found the Beta Forum, lurking off the bottom of my screen, and read about the Lionfish/3-Stripe thing. This is news to me. I can't duplicate it here, but I probably don't have the latest version of the Aquarium. I'll download it now and test.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:53 PM   #13
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by feldon23
. . .And I really disagree with the idea of everything now being handled by private e-mail. I've always thought that a beta forum where each bug gets its own topic and then people reply to those topics is the best because all the information and diagnostic info about that bug is in one place. But this is how they're doing it.
I second that. That's how DL (IIRC) and I caught the "floating Starfish bug". More testers means more input.

/Tiny Slice of Time
Old 01-08-2003, 08:43 PM   #14
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I agree about the testing but not for the same reasons. If you have a place for all the testers to see what has been reported, then more than just one can test for any specific problem. In addition you don't end up with 50 people sending the same email about the same problem over and over. That seems like a waste of time and manpower to go through an excess of the same info over and over.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 09:06 PM   #15
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
I'm with Michael here, and this is how my supervisor alway say to his student when dealing bugs
Engineering student alway been taught to doing everything in its most effiecient way, this is about quality.

where Tiny's point is about quantity, since more testers means more input indeed.

and a Beta Forum combines both idea on the beta testing.

btw, Morgan, I occasionaly receive the widescreen beta from email, and in the email it also mention the beta forum, but I never come cross, coz there's no link in the email so I dunno how to get there. Are the all testers can access the forum or only a few selected members?
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:28 PM   #16
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

James,

There are a limited number of people who are set up as Forum Beta Testers and can get there.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:30 PM   #17
snorkler
Registered

Hope Prolific realizes that probably everyone on this forum would like their copy of MAT. We ALL want to "participate" It's one of the reasons we are here!
snorkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:51 PM   #18
mwlahn
Registered

And in starting this discussion I was told by Prolific that it would be to a "large number" of users. I was encouraged to register my copy of MA and would end up with MAT as well -- for free. I really wanted MAT and was willing to wait, but I've taken them at their word. I hope I won't regret it! (Of course I've now registered MA so I DO have the best Aquarium screen saver there is!! <grin>).
Murray Lahn
Old 01-09-2003, 12:50 AM   #19
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

There are more details to come, but it looks like forum members/early adopters will be able to get Marine Aquarium Time for free if they have already purchased the Aquarium.
Belated response, but.........YEEEEESSSS!!!!
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:35 AM   #20
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

James,
I totally agree with Michael. I just couldn't put my opinion into words the way he did.

/Tango Tango
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive