Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 10-20-2001, 12:11 PM   #21
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Re: Why people are waiting for One-Point-Oh

It sure is...

/Tiny
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 02:02 PM   #22
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Re: Why people are waiting for One-Point-Oh

That is true! With most other programs, I worry about trying the first full version.

I hope that people read this forum, run the aquarium, and do realize that Jim Sachs is doing it differently than the rest. Then maybe they can see that in this particular case, version 1.0 is just a number.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 03:10 PM   #23
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

One-Point-Oh problem #2

Another possible problem could be that since "regular" v1.01´s or v3.04´s only offers bugfixes and no actual new features, people might not put too much effort into downloading the latest version. I mean, the usual SS update has spoiled us with a couple of new fish along with some bug fixes and for someone not beeing aware of the "Sachs Way" of version numbering they might not update unless they are experiencing an actual bug (something that does not occur that often with the SS).

The only "bug" i know of that doesn't get any attention is that when the SS is running (windowed or full-screen) hotkeys for shortcuts (Windows standard or user defined) don't work. Morgan dismissed this earlier because "using Windows Explorer wasn't the best way to work under Ms Windows". Back then (I can't find the topic, Morgan) I thought it was only [Win]+[E] that failed, but now I discovered that I can't use any hotkeys while the little guys swim in their window.

/Tiny
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 04:34 PM   #24
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: One-Point-Oh problem #2

Adobe Photoshop 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0 make Windows look bug-free.

Adobe Photoshop 2.0.1, 2.5.1, 3.0.1, 4.0.1, 5.0.1, 5.5.1, and 6.0.1 are useable
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 10:22 PM   #25
celebensis
Registered

Exclamation

Any update information Availible ?
Dave:
Plants Keep The World Alive
celebensis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 10:34 PM   #26
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Thumbs Up 1.0 Testing

1.0 IS being tested, that's all I can say. Please don't ask to sign up for testing, we've got as many people as we can handle right now.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 11-02-2001, 10:51 PM   #27
celebensis
Registered

Smile

oh sign me for tesing *grin*
Dave:
Plants Keep The World Alive
celebensis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 02:19 PM   #28
Lostboy
SquirrelFish

Any new info on V1.0? Is it coming soon?
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 05:06 PM   #29
Jim Sachs
Developer

The boxed version of 1.0 is in the warehouse and ready to ship. The downloadable version is done, but the installer is too big. I've insisted that the whole program must fit on a floppy, so Prolific is working to get it from 5 mb down to 1.4 mb.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 07:17 PM   #30
Derrek
Registered

does version 1.0 contain the 3d background? if so would it be possible to post some screenshots?
Derrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 08:06 PM   #31
Jim Sachs
Developer

v1.0 is just v.99L with an installer. There are a couple of extremely minor bug fixes, but no visual difference.

There is still a huge amount of work to do on the 3D background, but it will be worth the wait. The original 2D background was just a flat picture and took me about 2 months to put together. The new background is 2.5 times as wide, and each tiny object must be modeled in 3D, then a texture created and applied.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 11-18-2001 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2001, 08:38 PM   #32
feldon34
Forum Administrator

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/FAQ.HTM#Updates1
Old 11-19-2001, 11:55 AM   #33
Fab
Registered

As there is still a huge amount of work to do on the 3D background, would it be possible to post some screenshots or a model of the background ?

Thus we could keep up with the background's progress.
Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 12:21 PM   #34
Jim Sachs
Developer

It doesn't look like anything a non-programmer would recognize. Kind of like a patient in the middle of a heart transplant. Won't be presentable until it's all sewn up.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-19-2001, 01:58 PM   #35
Taxman
Banned

Smile

Go on Jim be a buddy - are we talking months, a month, days - tomorrow would be nice?!!
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 03:16 PM   #36
Jim Sachs
Developer

Somewhere between a week and never. Apparently, some of you seem to think that I know what I'm doing. I assure you that nothing could be farther from the truth.

Here's an analogy: Suppose you had to cross the Rockies on foot with no map. Each day you have no idea what you will encounter, or how far you still have left to go. Maybe you'll find an easy path that you can follow for miles. Maybe you'll spend the day climbing a sheer rock face, and make no forward progress at all. Most of the paths lead to dead ends. And all the while, there's a helicopter overhead with a bullhorn shouting "C'mon, Jim, be a buddy! Tell us how many more days!".
Jim Sachs
Old 11-19-2001, 03:24 PM   #37
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'd say 2 months, but don't quote me.

I too am bugging Jim to give us snapshots of the 3d background in progress. Nobody complains when George Lucas or Disney releases pencil drawings, sketches, and 3d wireframes of a coming project.

*twisting Jim's arm*
Old 11-19-2001, 08:13 PM   #38
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim,

Well if this is what you are capable of without knowing what you are doing, I would guess that you could code the space shuttle if you took maybe 2 classes. It is a shame that more people don't go exploring in the wilderness of programming, if things like this are the result.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive