Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 10-17-2001, 10:48 AM   #421

Moveable Coral & Tank

I would like to see in the new version a few extra features to do with the tank rather than the fish.

I think that it would be good to have a few other tank layouts and designs for the fish including being able to turn the amount of bubbles up or down and have the sound to match.

Also it might be an idea to have a designable tank where people can add in certain pieces of coral.

It would also be good to see the fish interact with their surrounding more - like the clown fish playing in the anename and things like that.
Old 10-17-2001, 02:36 PM   #422
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Moveable Coral & Tank

Dallion,

I don't see how Jim could add a changeable tank. Whenever he creates the 3D coral, he will have to extensively test the Aquarium so that the fish do not pass through the coral.

Jim has stated in the past that changeable coral is unlikely. Both for the difficulty, and also because he is a stickler for the asthetics of the Aquarium and wants it to look a certain way.

A brand new Aquarium background is coming which will have living moving coral. At some point (then or later) we will see a living anemone that the clownfish has a symbiotic relationship with.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 05:46 PM   #423
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

RE: Moveable Coral & Tank

Dallion,

You said:

"I think that it would be good to have a few other tank layouts and designs"

Now I'm not sure if you're hinting at the same thing or not, but I sort of suggested something similar a while back. I thought it would be pretty interesting to have more than one type of tank (i.e. different coral setups in different shaped tanks - rectangular, square, octagonal, triangle, etc.). However, in response Jim told me that he only intends to do the one tank with one coral layout as multiple layouts would require too much additional work.

Morgan,

You're response was:

"Dallion, the features you seek are in development. Read through the other 300 posts in this Wishlist and you'll see. "

Does this mean I missed something along the way? Does Jim intend to impliment:

- other tank layouts and designs
- able to turn the amount of bubbles up or down and have the sound to match
- people can add in certain pieces of coral

Just a little confused by these two posts and I hope to find some clarity in there somewhere.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 08:19 PM   #424
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: RE: Moveable Coral & Tank

Steve,

You're keeping me on the ball.

I didn't pay much attention when I said "Yes those features are in development."

Jim will be the first to tell you that a user-changeable tank ain't happening. Unless Jim has changed his mind about allowing this and tracked down some game programming gurus to help him with collision detection/object avoidance.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 10-18-2001, 12:48 AM   #425
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: RE: Moveable Coral & Tank

You had me confused there for a minute Morgan (and a little hopeful I suppose). Thanks for clearing that up.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Old 10-18-2001, 03:00 AM   #426

matrox dual display

make it compatable with dual displays
would be great
Old 10-18-2001, 08:14 AM   #427

dual displays

Don't know how feasible it would be, but it would be cool if it work with dual displays where the fish could swim back and forth between the two screens. I know it wouldn't work for everyone, but can the widescreen version be modified to do this?
Old 10-18-2001, 03:05 PM   #428

That's fine except for the fact that my PC is upstairs, my TV is downstairs, and I don't have any immediate plans to string video cable through the walls.
Old 10-18-2001, 05:06 PM   #429
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: ...

Wireless Video transmitters aren't that expensive.
Old 10-18-2001, 06:56 PM   #430
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: ...

Sounds like that aquarium DVD that everyone was talking about last month might be just the ticket.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 10:12 PM   #431
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Jellyfish

Jim, I was wondering what kind of jellyfish you plan on adding to the aquarium. I saw some in a tank at Sea World one time, and I just wanted to stand there for the longest time and watch them. They truly are poetry in motion, and I think it would be a nice addition to the tank. The link below tells about what all is required to keep jellyfish. Not something I would want to try myself thats for sure The second link has some facts about the jellyfish.

www.aquarium-design.com/jellyfish.html

www.aqua.org/animals/species/jellies.html

Thanks,
Grape

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 09:31 AM   #432
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: Jellyfish

The type I had in mind is similar to the lower picture in your second link.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 11:35 AM   #433
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: Jellyfish

It's a shame the aquarium is not capable of holding larger creatures, otherwise I would suggest using my personal favorite, the Portuguese Man-o-war (mainly because I'm Portuguese heh):

www.aloha.com/~lifeguards/portugue.html

Then again, I suppose you could just make it a juevenile version.

- DL
Steve
Old 10-23-2001, 09:36 AM   #434

Impressive!

Hey, I'm new to these forums and also new to the community!

However, I think this really rocks! It's fantastic watching it on my TV using the Dualhead technology of matrox. At night, when u turn off the light u have the impression of a real aquarium standing in your room!

Fantastic work, keep it going! Could anyone tell me when the next version will come out? Dunno when 0.99L has been published.

matroxx
Old 10-23-2001, 03:35 PM   #435

instead of interchangable coral...

How about instead of interchangable coral, you let the user simply choose the color of the coral. Also, you could let the user change the backdrop color. I think it would really neat to be able to change the coral and backdrop to match your computer color scheme. These kinds of user options for how the aquarium looks are essential and will make it more fun. You could also let the user set the coral color as a texture aquired from a picture file, so companys could stick their logos on the coral and you can make the coral look however you want. Maybe you could also do these same things with the gravel so we can make the gravel any color or texture we want.If you used this idea, you could always post new bitmap textures to use for the coral and ones to use for the gravel. Of course, these things can only be done once the 3d coral is done. If I have any more ideas, ill be sure to post them!

P.S. - For anybody who hasnt seen the ms plus pack, I just saw it in a store and it has a nice picture of the aquarium on the front (among other things).
Old 10-28-2001, 08:41 AM   #436

Rating System

Someone earlier mentioned that it would be nice to be able to choose what fish you want to appear and what not whem you set RANDOM for fish. As for me i always set random, and because i like some fish more than another and can't stand couple of them i so have to Double Space couple times before im happy with all the fish i see.
So lately i was thinking about it and have suggestion.
I don't know how many of you used winamp plugin called Geiss

www.geisswerks.com/geiss/index.html

but it has one feature that allows you to rate presets based on star rating. More stars - more chances preset has to appear and so on.
Jim, is it possible to implement this feature in aquarium where you could rate fish based on your preferences, lets say from 1(once a month) to 5 (almost every time, given you turn on aquarium couple of times a day, like i do )?

P.S.

Thanks for a BEST screensaver and one of may favorite pieces of software. And keep on doing on what you do like no one else.

peace
Old 10-31-2001, 07:26 PM   #437
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Rating System

I'd love to see such a system.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:47 PM   #438
Lightfeather

Embarassed Star Light, Star Bright

Star Light, Star Bright,
First star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight.

I wish I could get a signed copy of the boxed CD containing version 1.0!

Woo Hoo!
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 11:17 PM   #439
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Angry Star Light, Star Bright

So do I, and not for a friend, I want it for me

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 07:24 AM   #440
nicksteel
Registered

About 3D Background

Will the new 3D background be basically a modification of the existing one or significantly different?
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows