Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-15-2001, 11:47 AM   #1
pipeta
Royal Gramma

How long?!

I just thought about it, if Jim wants to create 4 screen savers, assuming every SS takes him another year and a half to complete, the last one will be ready 5 years from now! This is a very long time!
Jim, do you think you can keep your Screen Savers best sellers for 5 years? (PC technology will probably be totally different by 2006) Or will you be able to finish them all in a shorter period of time than this first one?
If not, maybe you should consider hiring someone to help you with all that work. Otherwise it might be a very hard challenge.
I really want to see these screen savers ready as soon as possible because they are the best ever! What are your plans?
What do other fans think?
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 12:55 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: How long?!

Jim was initially planning about 1 screen saver a year.

Various delays make me believe that the Butterfly Garden will start development sometime in 2002. Be aware that the Aquarium was in development for 9 months before anyone saw anything. So we'll have to go about our lives in the mean time.

I didn't see the demand dry up for Gran Turismo in the 3 years between Gran Turismo 2 and 3. And I haven't seen any diminished demand for Metal Gear Solid in the 3 years between MGS1 and the expected release of MGS2 this fall. Return to Castle Wolfenstein demo was launched today. It is the sequel to an ~8 year old game (I'm sure someone will correct me). People will find other things to do with their lives while they wait for the next.

No offense, but it is not Jim's job to deliver software when people request it. He is an artist, and is setting a new standard for realtime 3D art. He will release it when it is done and to his level of quality. I'd rather not have Jim rush the Aquarium and give us mediocrity. It is offensive to some of us when people come out and start complaining about how long things are taking.

People had been waiting for another Star Wars movie for 22 years. Some would argue that we still haven't gotten a movie worthy of the Star Wars name, but that's a battle to be fought another day
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 03:01 PM   #3
pipeta
Royal Gramma

I guess you are right about the art subject. I am sure Jim will do his job better than anyone else can but I am not sure if he will be able to create 4 screen savers alone. It is becoming harder and harder these days to cope with the public's demands since computers and technology advance very fast (hopefully the economic situation will not slow the technologic advancements too much).
I didn't mean to insult you or Jim in any way but 4 screen savers seem to be a very large project and I sincerely hope Jim will succeed and sell many copies during these years.
By the way, feldon23, thanks for the quick answer, you put alot of work into this site. It's really a great fansite.
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 12:48 AM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

There's an old saying in the software business:

"If it takes a woman 9 months to have a baby, then 9 women should be able to do it in one month."
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 12:55 AM   #5

Return to Castle Wolfenstein demo

Where?
Old 09-16-2001, 11:47 AM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Return to Castle Wolfenstein demo

www.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 12:58 PM   #7

Re: Return to Castle Wolfenstein demo

Got it! Thanks
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive