Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > FlagPride
Notices

Old 07-19-2003, 06:41 AM   #1
Richardxxx
Registered

Cool Proportions of a flag

I want to draw a couple of my own flags

I know a "normal" flag is rectangular - but what is the ratio of hight to width? I'm guessing at 2/3 but does anyone know?

What is the best size to use - in pixels - hight and width. If I am going to make my own flag.

Thanks Richard
Richardxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 08:33 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Each flag has a different ratio as seen in the Information box when you are selecting the diferent flags. 3:2 IS the most common it seems.

Just in North America, I've seen 3:2, 19:10, 2:1, 7:4, 5:3, 11:7, 1:1, 8:5, 17:10

In Flags of the World, I also saw 8:5, 13:6, 28:11, 4:3, 10:7, 1:1.

Some of the 3:2 flags in FlagPride are 1024x687 pixels.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 10:41 AM   #3
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

• British flags (like Union Jack/Irish/Canadian and more) have a 1:2 ratio.
• The Star-sprangled Banner uses a 10:19 ratio.
• Latin flags (like the French, Italian, Spanish and most Latin-American) have a 2:3 ratio.
• Germany, Finland and Sweden (and most likely more countries) use "The Divine Proportion"/"Golden Ratio"/Fibonacci sequence rule where the shorter side is to the longer as the longer is to the shorter plus the longer, i.e. (1, 2,) 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34 a.s.o.) – 5:8 would be a good measurement (although 8:13 would of course be more exact ).
• Denmark uses an odd 28:37 ratio.
• Belgium has a 13:15 ratio.
• Indonesia and Monaco actually have the same flag design, differing only in proportions (2:3 vs 4:5).

/Tiny Ratios
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:52 AM   #4
cjmaddy
Registered

A thousand welcomes back O tiny purveyor of totally useless information!

... Just what this forum desperately needs ... an injection of sanity!

Last edited by cjmaddy; 07-26-2003 at 12:36 PM.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 02:12 PM   #5
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Thank thee, O knight of Clitheroe Castle and supreme protector of Ribble Valley...

/Tiny Retort

P.S.
I'd rather be accused of providing an jection of insanity though...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:55 AM   #6
Wizwad
Only me...

You're both mad!

Like the man said, welcome back Tiny. Have you caught up on your backlog yet?
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 06:02 AM   #7
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Hehe, I actually read that 1400-something backlog in one sitting before posting the screen-dump. – Coming back this time only meant ~350 messages which was done in no time at all...

/Tiny Done

Old 07-28-2003, 09:34 AM   #8
Liath
Still here in spirit

Tiny! You're back! We missed you. I was beginning to think you had moved on and weren't coming back.
Liath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 04:10 PM   #9
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Without saying goodbye? – I hope I haven't made the impression of being that discourteous...

/Tiny Uncivility

Old 07-28-2003, 04:38 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Just thought you were incredibly busy.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:45 AM   #11
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Originally posted by feldon27
Just thought you were incredibly busy.
Me too.

Welcome back. It's good to see you again.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > FlagPride