Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 06:00 AM   #1
just some guy
Banned

running as wallpaper

I know there was some discussion about running the program as a wallpaper, so we could see it while we were working on our desktop and didn't have to limit it to a screensaver. I STILL think this is a good idea and wanted to know if any of you have figured out how to configure it to run that way.

Heck, when the screensaver is running, I'm not usually at my computer and since I'm using my computer at home, who am I running the screensaver FOR? My great danes? A dumb burglar?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to be able to see the fishies while I'm actually working at the puter!

There was a thread about this earlier, but I think it was deleted.
I want it to run as a wallpaper. Sure, Jim, this is your creation and you don't want it bastardized but it's MY twenty bucks and the program is on MY computer and I should be able to do this without a special dispensation from the pope of powder blue tangs or having to have some extended hacker knowledge.

Whats everyone's view on this?
Old 02-22-2002, 07:38 AM   #2
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Oh no, not again this topic!

IMHO this 'run as wallpaper' feature makes no sense, because I can't see more than a 20 pixel border of my desktop (just to show some icons). There is not enough room for the lionfish. Perhaps we get smaller versions of the fishies, somewhen. You have to sit back and relax when you want to watch the aquarium, not to work.
Old 02-22-2002, 07:49 AM   #3
just some guy
Banned

desktop icons

You can clean your desktop off by getting rid of all those "install" icons. You click them to delete and it says "removing this program will cause it to no longer run...la la la" Well, are you planning to INSTALL the program a second time? No.

You can also take all your shortcuts and move them to your START menu or simply move them to documents. That'll clear up a ton of space on your desktop.

I only have 18 icons on my desktop and I really don't even need THAT many - I just have them there for convience. If I was able to really use SACHS like I wanted to, I'd clear most of them off and scoot them into my documents as well.

I don't think this is a stupid topic and I don't think I'm alone here.
Afterall, it's a COMPLIMENT that I should want to see MORE of the fish, not just save them for a screensaver that I rarely see.

sheech.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:13 AM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Basically seeing the aquarium while I am working is what windowed mode is for. You can check the "Always on Top" feature, and move it where ever you wish.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:52 AM   #5
Socrates
Sage

I guess you missed it when Darrell wrote us a program to do this and then got mad at us and took it back.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Old 02-22-2002, 01:04 PM   #6
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Exclamation

Unless... 'Just Some Guy' is Darrell's new secret identity and he's back here trying to get us all riled up again!
Patrick
Old 02-22-2002, 01:10 PM   #7
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

No, I didn't miss it. I guess I have read every post since this forum was started. But, I suppose I agree with Jim on this one. I would rather see the aquarium running in windowed mode and be able to see it without anything else on top cluttering it up. Thats just my opinion though.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:22 PM   #8
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

running wallpaper

hi,
i too like that wallpaper idea. sometimes i expand out windowed mode to almost full screen, not, with always on top. it takes only a few secs to go through start-programs to find anything. but if i take the desktop folder open and shrink it way way down with view on small icons and put it in the far corner it looks fine. does someone know how to keep this windw real small and let all others open full size ? thanks much
bob
Old 02-22-2002, 01:29 PM   #9
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

running as wallpaper

hi jav, i posted a question and forgot to put in running as and went to new top. could you yake a look thanks
bob
Old 02-22-2002, 02:35 PM   #10
just some guy
Banned

no I am not

I don't know who that other guy was, but I'm not trying to piss anyone off by bringing up what I think is a valid topic.
As you can see, I'm not the only one who wants this to be an option.

I ran it (the fish) in a smaller version with my desktop icons smashed in a line across the bottom of the screen and it looks like ****.
I also got a wooden frame gif and stuck that in the middle of my desk and centered the little fishies in there - like a living piece of art. Thats not TOO bad, but I still want FULL SCREEN FISHES.

I'd rather have it my way and the customer is always right.

RIGHT?

Just please tell us how to do this without any great hackerology and thats that. We're not going to re-sell it to anyone. We're not going to repackage this in any way and it can be just for little ole me or whoever want to configure it this way.

I really don't see what the big damn deal is - certian admins here want the tank in it's pure form and I think thats GREAT! FINE! It's YOUR TANK!
What if Jim didn't let you pick which fish you wanted?
What if Jim refused to add MORE fish?
What if he stopped taking requests from all who love his tank?
What if he goes to PIXAR full time and simply abandons this project?
What will you guys do then - pitch a great big fit, I imagine.

All I want is to be able to work over the tank. I'm no hacker, but when wireframed fish come up at the touch of a keystroke, I can't imagine this being a tough thing to accomplish.

Tim (aka: just some guy)
Old 02-22-2002, 03:08 PM   #11
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Tim,

As far as I know or have seen, no one KNOWS how to do what you are requesting. We aren't trying to keep some big secret from you. There have been people who gave an effort to achieve what you are asking, but with not much success.

At this point Jim has the option of trying to finish the aquarium with all the features and creatures that he has promised, or spending who knows how long trying to perfect something that he never intended to do in the first place.

I for one would rather see Jim work to his strengths and get me a new 3D background and the specialty creatures that he has promised as quickly as he is reasonably able.
Old 02-22-2002, 04:29 PM   #12
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Tim, I have two issues with what you say.

First, when you use your computer for work, what programs do you use? Most of the programs I use open up a window which most of the time cover up the entire screen. The only time I (I, not you) ever see the desktop is when I begin or finish work on the computer.

And second, the customer isn't always right. Let's say I buy a brand spanking new Ferrari for, I dunno, $1,000,020. Then I return to the dealership and demand that they convert it to a camper because I want to go on a really swift holliday... Are you saying they should convert it because the customer is always right?

/Tiny Understanding
Old 02-22-2002, 05:49 PM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...=&threadid=540
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
Closed Thread
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive