Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-10-2003, 10:41 AM   #1
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Automatic Lights SUDDENLY go dim?

I am running 2.0 with automatic light enabled. It's only a smooth transition part of the way. When the foreground lights are going dim, they SUDDENLY go dim. This happens on two different systems.

Athlon XP 2200+
WinXP Pro SP1
Asus A7V333
Geforce 3 (41.09)

Dell Inspiron 8200 Laptop
WinXP Home SP1
P4 2.0 GHz
Mobility Radeon 9000 (7.83)
Frank

Last edited by FishyBusiness; 04-10-2003 at 11:12 AM.
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:55 AM   #2
drfish
the Doc

Finally! I was waiting for someone to bring that up... I've noticed the problem since MA2 came out, I think it is in MAT too... It happens on all four systems that run the aquarium I use regulary... Yeah, it's not just me! It's so obvious that I didn't mention it because I figured someone else would right away, but then no one did... Thanks Fishy!

edit: also, when the lights fade back up they suddenly come back on too...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:48 AM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

So why didn't you post this in the MAT bugs forum?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:08 PM   #4
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

He's naturally shy?

/Tiny Suggestion
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:14 PM   #5
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Morgan, I suppose you are talking to Dr. Fish. I have never ran MAT. Tiny, I suppose you are commenting on Morgan's reply to Dr. Fish...hehe. Have either of you two, Tiny or Morgan, experienced this problem?
Frank
Old 04-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Well my post came right under his.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-11-2003, 01:41 PM   #7
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Frank,
Yes I was addressing Morgan.

As for the bug: Well, I just spent a sew serene minutes staring at the screen (I don't remeber the lighting intervalls being that long ) and on my (work) system there's a glitch when fading up the front lights. I'll investigate further.

/Tiny Glitch

Win2k
Athlon XP1800+
PNY GF4MX440SE
1600x1200@16bit
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 03:44 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Yes, now that I have turned on automatic lighting, I can see the glitch too.

I am getting more and more irritated by the software Z-Buffer every day. It should be a checkbox just like the Mac version "Optimize Video Memory".

The side fins pop in and out, go from transparent to opaque, shift around as the fish turns, the eyes occasionally glitch on Ken's fish, etc. etc.

I'm going to classify this as a bug because it didn't do this before.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:37 PM   #9
drfish
the Doc

So why didn't you post this in the MAT bugs forum?
Umm...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 05:44 PM   #10
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Morgan,

I noticed the fins too. I just decided to comment on one bug at a time. The fin thing has to do with the Z-Buffer? Is the light bug caused by this too?
Frank
Old 04-23-2003, 02:41 PM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I guess the Z-Buffer went back to hardware cause the fins don't pop in and out of existance and/or suddenly get affected by lights. Looks awesome.

So Frank and I are here tinkering with MA2/MAT and found out the exact timing, etc. of the light fading. The starfish being up on the glass helped immensely in diagnosing this.

When fading up manually from black, the first 10 "steps" (pressing the UP arrow on the keyboard) incrementally bring up the foreground front ambient/area light a little at a time. On the 11th "step" , the "top light" comes on from 0% to 100% intensity. I am guessing that Jim's code originally faded up the top light over a few steps?

Well, Jim and I can chat about this. Leaving for his home here in a few minutes.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive