Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-04-2002, 10:17 PM   #21
guittar
Registered

Thumbs Down This Will Help

http://nat.mine.nu:81/3dfx/
guittar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 11:09 PM   #22
feldon34
Forum Administrator

IF anyone tests guittar's driver website and the drivers there, please let me know your results.

If you find a driver that works well with XP, DirectX 8.1, the Aquarium, AND OpenGL apps, I'll post it at my website.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:53 AM   #23
CANDYMAN
Registered

I am also trying to use the deluxe version on a XP/voodoo5 machine. If I run it at 32 bit color it looks fine except for the 1 fps I get (slideshow) and if I bump it down to 16 bit color it runs smoothly but the coral and fish are white.....I may try going back to the xp drivers for the voodoo5 if they do indeed allow the screensaver to work...This machine is used as a server and for surfing occasionally so game performance isn't important on it.
CANDYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 03:12 AM   #24
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Candyman,

Please disable that 1/4 megabyte animation in your signature.

Thanks.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 02-07-2002, 03:45 AM   #25
CANDYMAN
Registered

well...the standard ms xp voodoo5 drivers work with it....maybe a future update to the xp drivers will fix that and still have good performance in games....luckily the gaming isn't an issue on this system but it just barely has enough umph to keep the screensaver looking smooth while it runs.
The odd thing is that i installed the version of serene that comes with plus for XP and it runs perfect with the old drivers? Perhaps if somebody knew what is different about that version from the retail version we could figure out what the problem is with the higher performance drivers.

Sorry bout that sig feldon....I'm used to online gaming forums and most of those folks have broadband...I forget about the poor people still stuck on dialup sometimes

Last edited by CANDYMAN; 02-07-2002 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:27 AM   #26
Jim Sachs
Developer

We've covered this several times before, but here it is one more time:

The Plus Pack version is written in DX8. The full version is written in DX6, so that it can use features that don't work yet in DX8.

The DX8.1 VooDoo drivers that come with XP don't work properly with DX6 programs. There is little or no incentive for nVidia (which now owns the VooDoo technology) to write new drivers, since they would much rather have you buy a new nVidia card.

Will Ware of Prolific Publishing believes he has developed a work-around for the VooDoo "white texture" problem, and we have put it in v1.1. I hope it works, because the VooDoo 5500 is still my all-time favorite card. For the past 5 years, VooDoo cards have been providing features like flawless polygon edge anti-aliasing which most manufacturers are still struggling with.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 11:38 AM   #27
Spyder
Registered

hmm

with all due respect, why not just shell out a few bucks and get an average mainstream ATI or Nvidia card and be done with your current (AND future) problems? Even the average cards are almost as powerful as your Voodoo 5 (if not more powerful).

I can understand the desire to want to solve the problem, and the desire to hold onto a company that many people held so dear... but the truth of the matter is, 3dfx put 3dfx out of business by not evolving their products as fast as the competition did. 3dfx is dead .. the cards are now legacy/unsupported products in future OS's, so why not save yourself your time and trouble and just upgrade to something that is and will be supported?

Last edited by Spyder; 02-07-2002 at 11:42 AM.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 01:11 PM   #28
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I think Jim prefers the anti-aliasing on the Voodoo 5 over that of nVidia GeForce cards.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:30 PM   #29
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Spyder,

Are you refering to Jim or CANDYMAN? Mr. Sachs has several video cards that he uses for testing.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 03:18 PM   #30
CANDYMAN
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
We've covered this several times before, but here it is one more time:

The Plus Pack version is written in DX8. The full version is written in DX6, so that it can use features that don't work yet in DX8.

The DX8.1 VooDoo drivers that come with XP don't work properly with DX6 programs. There is little or no incentive for nVidia (which now owns the VooDoo technology) to write new drivers, since they would much rather have you buy a new nVidia card.
Ah....sorry...I bought the aquarium about 6 months ago but I just tried to get it working on this v5/XP computer last nite and when I ran into problems I figured I'de give this forum a try....I guess I should have read farther back in to the threads first before posting about it.

It really looks nice on this system though since I just got a LCD monitor for it and although the resolution isn't as good as my crt, the colors just pop out at you on the LCD compared to my crt monitor.

I will most definantly be replacing that voodoo5 with one of my other cards (as soon as I upgrade to a gf4 I will have a spare geforce256 card to put in it ) but untill then this voodoo5 is what I have to use and I agree...its an excelent card that just lacks driver support but since the geforce3 and now 4 have been available it is starting to look really slow in comparison so I will probly be retiring it to ebay after my next upgrade.
The AntiAliasing on a voodoo5 card is better than anything that nvidia offers even with the geforce4 however I can run pretty much any game I have at 1600x1200x32 on the geforce3/4 on my athlonxp@1600 mhz and at that resoulution jaggies are just not much of an issue anymore even with no AA turned on.

Keep up the good work...I'm looking forward to the new version with the lionfish....is it going to be released soon?
Old 02-07-2002, 03:28 PM   #31
Jim Sachs
Developer

All I meant was that I still prefer the VooDoo cards over any other. The polygon antialiasing (which has been an integral part of every VooDoo card since the beginning) is so far superior that when I wrote the Computrainer software 6 years ago, I only supported 3Dfx cards. In those days of 640x480, its the only thing that made realism possible. By the way, the commands to access the polygon antialiasing were only available for programs written in Glide.

Nowadays, we can just crank up the resolution to 1600x1200, so it's a moot point.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 06:03 PM   #32
Spyder
Registered

Originally posted by FishyBusiness
Spyder,

Are you refering to Jim or CANDYMAN? Mr. Sachs has several video cards that he uses for testing.
Oops.. I meant to direct it to Candyman
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive