Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-10-2003, 07:53 PM   #1
loopnut
Registered

Big Grin ATI Drivers and the Blue Screen of Death

I've been getting the infamous Blue Screen of Death without fail when running the Aquarium screen saver. I've tried a few different resolutions and color-depths but to no avail. The error invariably references a dll that starts with "ati" (video driver!). I'm running a custom built P4 2.53Ghz w/ an ATI All-In-Wonder 8500 128Meg video board. The latest drivers from ATI (version 6.14.0001.6307) and upgrade to DirectX9 have not been enough for me to avoid these blue-screens and reboots. Anyone else experience this, or have a clue for a frustrated fan of Aquarium screen saver?

Cheers,
Loopnut
loopnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:46 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Are you running MA2 or MA1.1?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:05 PM   #3
loopnut
Registered

Have tried both (DEMO ONLY), with same result. Most recent error is in ati3d2ag.dll, error message was something like "error writing to read-only memory", I think. Have also seen "page fault in non-paged area". I saw that one with MA1.1, haven't seen it yet w/ MA2 demo, but haven't had it long either. The wierd part is, it will run, for a while. But after a while (sometimes hours, sometimes minutes, I even saw it die 5 seconds once) it bombs. Nothing helpful in the event log.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:45 AM   #4
theechap
Registered

I have the same vid card, drivers, and dx9. I've never had a problem. Sorry.
theechap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:52 AM   #5
drfish
the Doc

Same for me, but mine's not an AIW and it only has 64megs...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 07:04 AM   #6
loopnut
Registered

Based on "theechap"'s comments above, maybe it's not the video drivers. Perhaps the video board itself? That would suck! But if that were the case I would think it would bomb on other 3D screensavers (which it doesn't), or would have crashed and burned when running 3DMark2003 (which it didn't). Both errors are memory-related, right? Could it be a bum DIMM? FYI, I've got a single MULTIWAVE 512MB PC2100 266MHZ NON-ECC CAS2.5 DDR DIMM sitting in a Shuttle AV49N Motherboard with the rest of the hardware mentioned earlier, and that's it (audio & LAN are on the M/B). BIOS is current, I flashed it about 2 weeks ago when I first started trying to figure this problem out.

One last thought for "theechap": How do you have the screensaver configured? (i.e., what resolution, color depth, fish, etc) Which version of Aquarium do you have?
Old 04-11-2003, 11:01 AM   #7
loopnut
Registered

one other note:
Operating system=WinXP Pro SP1
Old 04-11-2003, 07:43 PM   #8
theechap
Registered

i run it at 1024x768x16. i have lionfish always come on and everything else set to random. auto lights, fps limit at 58. i run winxp home sp1.

hope that might help.
theechap is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive