Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 03-21-2001, 03:30 AM   #161
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST (3D Background)

It's true that paralax isn't necessary for a 3D background such as this, but it could only improve upon it if anything. No big deal, it was just a passing thought anyway.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 03:52 AM   #162
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST (3D Background)

Parallax is multiple 2D sprite "strips" at varying vertical heights which move at different speeds to simulate 3D. The new background will be *completely* 3D including the gravel floor. It will have infinite degrees of parallax because there's nothing fake.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 08:25 PM   #163
Lostboy
SquirrelFish

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST

May I suggest a few colourful wrasses?

Checkerboard Wrasse
Christmas Wrasse
Lime Coris Wrasse
Hardwicki Wrasse
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 12:14 PM   #164
ajlaban
Registered

Moorish Idol

Hi Folks,

I'm only a week or so into this forum and I have read maybe 50% of what has been posted so forgive me if the following has been addressed.

Any idea if Jim has plans to include the Moorish Idol? I know it is on the wishlist but I've read no comments about it. It is my fav fish of all. I realize that the length of the "thingies" would pose programing problems and that the Wimplefish with similar coloration is already in the tank but it is not nearly as majestic.
Passed away August 27, 2008.
ajlaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 12:37 PM   #165
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: Moorish Idol

Probably not. The Wimplefish, also known as the "Poor man's Moorish Idol", looks so similar that most people wouldn't know the difference.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 07:53 PM   #166
ajlaban
Registered

Jim,

Sad but understandable. To me the Wimplefish looks much more like a fresh water angel than a Moorish Idol. The "face" on the Moorish Idol is incredibly unique and it is much better proportioned, by comparison the Wimple looks like in was in a wreck.

Oh well, can't have everything!
Old 03-27-2001, 08:01 PM   #167
ajlaban
Registered

My revised picture of the Moorish Idol did not show up on the last post because I forgot to check "use photo" when I changed it.
Old 03-31-2001, 12:26 AM   #168
feldon34
Forum Administrator

From an e-mail...

I would like Jim to include this good-looking invertebrate.

Name: Biscuit Starfish

Thank you in advance
Alex
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 03:35 AM   #169
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

I have to say, that's a very unique looking starfish. Sure wouldn't mind seeing that in the aquarium.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Old 03-31-2001, 03:10 PM   #170
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Fish swimming diagonally

The forums have had lots of ideas about fish swimming further into the tank, but what I just noticed is that no fish swim diagonally in or out. It's either along the X-, Y- or Z-axis. Can't we have 'em in combinations?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 01:24 AM   #171
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: Fish swimming diagonally

Maybe, when the background becomes 3D.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 06:06 AM   #172
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Oh, guess I didn't think that through enough...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 04-01-2001, 06:49 AM   #173
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Another round of side scrolling ideas

In a future version side-scrolling could become an option if I'm reading the forum posts correctly. I have three ideas on this:

1. Make the scrolling optional

2. Make the scrolling speed user-defineable (sp?)

3. Since side-scrolling would indicate a larger tank, wouldn't we (Jim) have circumvented the "seven is the maximum number of fish a tank the size of the screen would hold without looking unrealistic"-rule?

Then all those people who dream about showing off their video cards could have more fish to play with, even though they/you don't see the whole tank (and most likely not all of the fish) at the same time.

Old 04-01-2001, 07:03 AM   #174
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Hey Turtle,

Where did you get that image next to your name? It looks familiar to me, it resembles an image used in Native American myth.

It's been a while and I could be slightly off base (probably because I've become a bit disconnected from my Mohawk/Iroquois roots over the years), but I think it resembles the Great Turtle. Let me see, if I remember correctly, the story goes something like this -

"There was only the limitless vault of sky and the infinite waters of ocean. Above the sky there was a Sky World where living gods existed. In this Sky World there was a couple. While the pregnant woman was gathering food beneath a tremendous tree, she broke a hole down into the sky and fell, grasping at the plants which grew among the roots of the sky tree. A long way did she fall. Sea birds flying in the sky saw the woman falling. They circled together and formed a flying raft which caught the woman and kept her from falling into the vast sea below. Some of the sea birds called to the ocean creatures below to help save the woman. A Great Turtle emerged from the vast sea and agreed that he could take the woman upon his back. There she existed. The sky above and the sea all around. Finally a muskrat appeared, he dove to the bottom of the sea and retrieved a small amount of dirt within the grasp of his paws. With this soil, the woman grew the plants which remained in her hands and in time the Great Turtle became the earth."

Then again, you could have just downloaded that image and had no idea what it meant, but I was curious just the same.

- DL
Steve
Old 04-01-2001, 11:41 AM   #175
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Tiny Turtle logo

Hey DL!

The logo is an original design by myself, created about four years ago.

I'm really into turtles so your story was interesting to read. Did you now that Chinese mythology also has a "Great Turtle" as a fundamental part of the world?

Because I have a snapping turtle myself the logo turtle had to have the caracteristic long tail of the snapper, and at least when I got him, he was tiny...

/Calle Soderberg, Borlange Sweden

Old 04-01-2001, 11:11 PM   #176
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: Tiny Turtle logo

A snapping turtle eh? I just saw one at the San Diego Zoo today, big monster of a turtle. I've always thought they were interesting, where did you get yours at and how big is he/she now?

- DL
Steve
Old 04-03-2001, 12:03 PM   #177
asprague
Regal Angel

I apologize if this has been requested before.

I would like to have a separate volume control in the Settings for the screen saver. I prefer to have the bubble sound very low, much lower than the volume I wish for listening to CSPAN, for example.
asprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 12:51 PM   #178
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Re: Tiny Turtle logo

I know this is Off Topic, group, so please don't flame me too much (would be kinda neat to be flamed in this, the nicest of forums, though...)

Spike about four and a half year old and I've had him since he was less than an inch long (legal here in Sweden, not in the U.S...) right now he's reached a carapace length of around almost eight inches and is weighing in somewhere around 4.5 lbs...

Old 04-09-2001, 12:34 PM   #179
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

"Auto update" for the retail version

I'm thinking about all those future customers not knowing which way is up on their computers. Wouldn't it be a good feature to put a "Update the screensaver" button in the settings which would connect to the i-net and check if there's a newer version available and then proceed to automagically download the latest incarnation of mr. Sachs efforts and install (I mean replace ;-) it?

Then they wouldn't have to worry 'bout versions or URLs or any such nuiscances (sp?). Then again, this might be too automated and microsoftish for everybody else`...

Old 04-10-2001, 05:11 AM   #180

Random Fish

Apologies if this has already been suggested.

I mostly just have all 7 fish set to random, however there a couple the of fish types I don't particularly like, and it would be good to have a way of stopping these from appearing as random fish.

I'm thinking along the lines of a set of check boxes where you could mark each of the fish types as 'active'. Taking a fish off Random and setting it to a particular type could over ride the checkboxes for that particular fish. This would allow you, for instance, to ensure that you only had one of a particular fish type, while allowing the rest to remain random.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows