Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-06-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
Bruce
Registered

XP sp2 issues

Does anyone have any ideas? Ever since installing sp2 for xp, SereneScreen MAT 2 locks up randomly. I have used the program for years with no problem, even built a new system around 8 mos ago and had no problems. However, when I installed xp sp2 recently, I did a clean install of windows and have all the updated drivers, bios included, I get random lock ups. I have tried changing the settings for windows new security features, ie. automatic updates, firewall etc. but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:11 PM   #2
cjmaddy
Registered

I don't use XP myself, but you could start by reading here! - It might be some help!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
Bruce
Registered

cj, I appreciate your reply, however none of those post or Microsoft support pages are applicable. Apparently this doesn't seem to be an issue with anyone else, I have found nothing on the internet and so far no one from serenescreen seems to be familiar with it. I'll wait and see if something miraculous comes my way. Again, thanks for your reply
Old 01-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

Bruce - This could be one of those issues which just coincidentally comes up at the same time a major change has taken place. Though it may be logical to assume that the trouble started with the introduction of SP2, we have seen hundreds of cases where the "obvious" cause was not to blame.

Is it possible that the CPU or video card are overheating? Are the fans working normally? Do you have "Limit Frame Rate" set in the Aquarium Settings? What is your frame rate? CPU usage for the Aquarium task?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:58 PM   #5
lannp
Registered

I would suggest you uninstall SP2 (it is easy to uninstall, and it worked well for me several times.) If you can get MAT 2 to work well again, then you know it is definitely SP2 (software) and not hardware.

Lan
lannp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:00 PM   #6
Bruce
Registered

Jim,

First, thanks for you reply, second, the only change to the system is sp2. As mentioned in earlier post, I have had no problems with the same machine until the clean install of windows xp and all related updates, including windows and drivers. I play a couple of online games which are graphic intensive and they play flawlessly. Never any random shut downs nor lockups. My frame rate with MAT2 is around 204 with vsync off in the ati control panel and around 75 with vsync on. I set the resolution to default and tried both 16 and 32 bit. I even went as far as turning fast write off to see if that would work. Still no success. I have had MA since version 1 and have paid for all the upgrades. I've been in contact (email) with Josh and I'm waiting for his next reply. Any futher assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:32 AM   #7
Jim Sachs
Developer

204 - that's an awful lot of FPS overkill. Have you tried "Limit Frame Rate"? I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but it sure has all the symptoms of runaway CPU overheating. It's drawing 3 frames for each one that is actually displayed on the monitor.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-26-2005, 06:39 AM   #8
Bruce
Registered

Jim, the "obvious" was not the case. In reading your suggestion, I removed the heatsink from not only the cpu but also from the video card (radeon 9800 pro), then after removing the old thermal paste and applying some artic silver, the random lock ups have ceased to exist. It has been two weeks now with no problems. Thank you
Old 02-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

Wow, I never would have thought of that. Thanks for posting the solution.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I've seen that before. I replaced the poor quality thermal paste that I slathered all over the bottom of my heat sink with 1/2 pea worth of Arctic Silver and I saw a 5 degree drop. This was before I went Zalman.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive