Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
Wakanda
Registered

Coral Reef Devastation

As you folks know the Sumatra Tsunami was very damaging to coral reefs across the breadth of the Indian Ocean area. Worse, across the globe, climate change is having devastating affects on reefs and the reef-dwelling species that they support. Most of the species that we adore survive specifically because of the health of the reef. Although there seems to be 'public' controversy about climate change, there's little disagreement in the (unsponsored) scientific community since there's a preponderance of hard evidence that change is afoot. It appears that we’re at the threshold of geological variability.

Climate change modeling is tough since even the largest supercomputers cannot handle it. The University of California at Berkeley has written software to distribute segments of various gigantic scientific queries to volunteers across the net. 65,000 people have signed up to participate anonymously in the Climate Change Model. See http://www.greensboroughdesign.com/climate.html for an overview of this background processing that doesn’t slow you down for even a nanosecond. You don’t have to know or do a thing. Your computer will do it.

Should you decide to participate in the model there is a ‘best’ way to use Marine Aquarium so that you always have each and every frame of our precious fishies and the Hadley Center Model can still get every spare tick and trickle it can consume. If anyone is interested I’ll reply with the tip.

Wakanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Sounds like you could have some competition for cycles Doc.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Wakanda
Registered

i don't think there's degradation of MA since the climate prediction 'boinc' only consumes 'unused' cycles.

since i seem to need my fishies very often, what i'm doing, at least on the mac, is keeping the screensaveer off and dragging the mouse to the 'activate' corner when i answer the phone or get up or whatnot. this turns it on. if i go for lunch or leave for the night i don't drag the mouse to the corner so it doesn't go active. the energy saver cuts in after a few minutes. i also quit my other applications. in this way MA isn't active consuming whatever cycles it consumes. this produces the least heat and gives the most room to the boinc.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
drfish
the Doc

He's talking about my thread here for Folding@Home, another distributed computing project... I'm afraid I'm not interested in much else... Sorry.
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
Wakanda
Registered

Does Folding@Home run under BOINC? Is it the same as Predictor (also a protein project)? I know that many people run multiple projects under BOINC. These are the other BOINC projects listed on the BOINC homepage at http://boinc.berkeley.edu

Climateprediction.net: study climate change
Einstein@home: search for gravitational signals coming from pulsars
LHC@home: improve the design of the CERN LHC particle accelerator
Predictor@home: investigate protein-related diseases
SETI@home: Look for radio evidence of extraterrestrial life
Old 04-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
drfish
the Doc

No Boinc for F@H I'm afraid...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive