Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Sharks: Terrors of the Deep
Notices

Old 02-22-2004, 04:09 PM   #21
ROBinLA
Registered

Bought it, Like it...but...

Coral/ship definitely needs work. Too fake looking now that we've been spoiled by the moving plants in Goldfish Aquarium, it's gonna be hard going back to a still bitmap!

I like the sharks themselves. The artwork is very good. Movement can be tweaked to be a little more fluid I felt. Actually, on viewing the shark movement in the open ocean view I'm more impressed. I think the fantasy background doesn't do the shark's justice.

To be honest I'm not a fan of the coral and ship background as it is right now at all. I'd like to see the coral removed from the front and see some some sea "shelves" and a more convincing 3d and fog effect look similar to the Matrox demo. I also second the thought of having some of the small fish being able to scale closer to the screen if possible.

Overall, a good first shot with some strong elements and I did buy it to show my support, but I do think at this stage it is a rung below how the Goldfish Aquarium first Beta looked and needs substantial work.

Just my 2 cents!

rob

Last edited by ROBinLA; 02-23-2004 at 02:27 AM.
ROBinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:23 AM   #22
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Kona,
Yup, that's it. Neither the textures nor the polygon count of the small fish are detailed enough to stand up to such a close inspection. Making them that way would force the system requirements through the roof.

/Tiny Texture
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:00 AM   #23
Sergiales
Software Engineer

Tiny,
I suppose this already have been discussed before, but... what about using two sets of 3D models?. I mean... if you have a high-end machine/hardware/gfxcard, then what's the reason for not seeing more complex and detailed models?. In the configuration options, you could choose a detail option based on the power of your PC.
In addition of this, I can tell you that I've been working with 3D modeling systems for a long time, and there are some tweaking methods for optimizing the 3D meshes in order to save a lot of extra polygons, and without sacrifying the model appearance.
It's only an idea
Sincerely,
Sergio.
Sergiales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:14 AM   #24
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Prolific has talked about high-definitions versions of their stuff. Primarily the Goldfish, but I suppose there could be more. That was however an "identical" version with cooler graphics. You're talking about adding new behaviour and features. Still, I'm not Prolific so who knows...

Jim's fish in the MA series have a pretty low poly count and still seven or eight of those fish can put at least some strain on a card. Imagine what 70 would do (and combined with a score of sharks too).

/Tiny Poly Count
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:11 AM   #25
Sergiales
Software Engineer

Yes, Jim's models look very optimized. Marine Aquarium runs surprisingly smooth even in my old Nvidia TNT1. That's what i referred about. I think that when optimizing the 3D models you can have 70 fishes (or more) with enough detail. Nowadays simple-textured polygons are drawn very fast by almost any video card.

I'm tired of programming boring management software apps. I should code DirectX apps
Does anyone offers me a new job?. I think i'm going to send my curriculum vitae to Prolific.
Sincerely,
Sergio.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:23 AM   #26
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim's fish have 185 vertices.

The sharks range from 332 for the Angel Shark to 764 for the Great White.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:29 AM   #27
Sergiales
Software Engineer

That's not too much. What's the real poly fill rate for a regular video card?.
Sincerely,
Sergio.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Sharks: Terrors of the Deep