Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 07-24-2002, 09:09 PM   #1
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Angry Here is the aquarium to shoot for.

Just thought I would post this link for everyone to enjoy. If you are going to build yourself an aquarium, I guess you should shoot for the best. http://www.mr4000.com/
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 10:04 PM   #2
BlueWinterWaves
Registered

When building a reef tank, you figure you'll spend at least $40 to $50 per gallon just setting it up. That doesn't count ongoing maintenance like food, light bulb replacements, and the not-trivial electricity costs.

How much does this guy's 4000 gallon tank cost? You do the math.

He used to have more pics of himself on that site, diving in his aquarium with mask and snorkel!

I like this tank too:

http://www.masla.com/tank/bermuda.html

"Only" 1500 gallons, but the cool thing is that it needs no special filtration because the guy lives right on the beach in Bermuda and just pipes fresh seawater in and out of the tank constantly.
BlueWinterWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:15 AM   #3
just some guy
Banned

Day of the Dolphin

It was an old film directed by Mike Nichols starring George Scott and Trish Van (somebody).
They taught a couple of dolphins name Alpha and Beta (Fa and Bea) to speak.
In their bedroom, to the left of the bed was an access "pool" that let the dolphins swim right inside the house.
It was the coolest friggin' thing I think I had seen up to that point (I was about 6 or 7 when I saw it) and I always wanted that kind of "tank" in my room.

You guys know what I'm talking about? Maybe if someone really, really digs around they can find a pic of what I'm talking about...

To me, THAT is the IDEAL fishtank.
just some guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 08:45 AM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

The thing that got me on this one was reading the Q&A section. I think it said that it weighed something like 48,000 lbs, and it lost something like 20 gallons per day of water to just evaporation. He also mentioned that his basement windows were always fogged up and dripping with water. Wheeeeew, he must really like aquariums.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:26 PM   #5
drfish
the Doc

That dolphin thing reminds me of Sea Quest DSV, that was the greatest show (until the last few seasons...)! Anyway, the dolphin, Darwin, could swim all around inside the submarine in tubes and it had pools it could surface in... Of course it could talk too...

Anway, the attached picture here is one I scanned out of a Freshwater and Marine Aquarium magizine back in probably about '94... I no longer have the original but over the years I've touched this one up and got it looking as best I could... This is really some guy's personal aquarium, all the coral and rock work is fiberglass and the back is made from a transparent blue plastic the is back lit with lots and lots of florescent bulbs to give the illusion of depth... I forgot how many gallons it is... Pretty neat, eh? It's always been one of my favorite pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reef.jpg (126.4 KB, 510 views)
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 01:37 PM   #6
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

In the words of mr. B. Simpson: – Aye Caramba!
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 01:46 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

What a beautiful tank.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 02:10 AM   #8
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

In their bedroom, to the left of the bed was an access "pool" that let the dolphins swim right inside the house.
I could be mistaken, but didn't they have something similar in 2001: A Space Odyssey?
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 07:45 AM   #9
albrt
Registered

That is some setup...Beautiful though.........
albrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 09:19 AM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

DL - I think that was Roy Schieder's house in 2010.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 10:23 AM   #11
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim,

Maybe you need to up your estimates of the size tank you were considering starting. Ummmm, maybe a 5,000 gallon tank would be good.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:58 PM   #12
IXNAY
Green Frog

Lame site I think
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 01:48 PM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Unhappy

IXNAY,

What's your problem today?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 06:00 PM   #14
grape_jellyfish
Registered

I think it's really a nice thing if you have the money and time to spare.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 07:06 AM   #15
IXNAY
Green Frog

hey don't get angry please, I just don't like that page: http://www.mr4000.com/
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 08:15 PM   #16
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Well I can probably go along with that idea, the page itself does need more work. I think somewhere it said that he had alot more stuff to put up, but it was basically the idea that he had a 4000 gallon aquarium in his house that was the point. I ran a salt tank for a number of years, and one of my pet peeves was that if you managed to work your tail off and keep your fish alive for any length of time, they eventually outgrew your tank. I always thought it would be wonderful to have something like that so you never had to worry. Of course if I did, my Moray Eel would have gotten huge, and then who knows what I would have had to do......... Oh Well..
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive