Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 05-14-2002, 11:42 AM   #1
rue
Registered

Cool Surely not?!?

Does anyone have any ideas as to why there are no plans to include Moorish Idols (zanclus cornutus) in later versions of SereneScreen Aquarium?!?

It's surely one of the most beautiful reef fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zanclus.jpg (39.1 KB, 1010 views)
rue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 11:47 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

I've commented on this several times. The Moorish Idol is a sacred Islamic fish, and I really don't need any trouble from those guys right now.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 05-14-2002 at 11:53 AM.
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 11:58 AM   #3
rue
Registered

Enough said...
rue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 12:49 AM   #4
Samw
Registered

Big Grin

For curiosity sake, I tried to find information about how sacred this fish is but found nothing. I'm not doubting that this might be true but it sure isn't easy to learn about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moorish.jpg (117.8 KB, 881 views)
Samw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 12:53 AM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

This is the #1 requested fish in e-mails I've received, by the way (Not that that changes anything).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 06:28 PM   #6
bslenter
Registered

Wow, thats kinda heavy. I guess it would create bad vibes to model a sacred creature on a computer screen. Something tells me Jim has already received emails from Islamic people regarding this, which is why he's decided to leave this one out.
bslenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 07:34 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

A Moorish Idol is going to be a starring character in Pixar's Finding Nemo.

After several searches on Google.com, I could not find a direct relationship between Moorish Idols and Islam.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 06-19-2002, 12:46 AM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

The Tetra Encyclopedia of The Marine Aquarium by Dick Mills, page 185:

"The common name of the Moorish Idol is derived from the high esteem in which the fish is held by some Moslem populations. When caught by them it is returned to the water with some ceremony."
Jim Sachs
Old 06-19-2002, 05:27 AM   #9
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Nice pic anyway, Samw.

/TT
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 10:43 AM   #10
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by feldon23
A Moorish Idol is going to be a starring character in Pixar's Finding Nemo.

After several searches on Google.com, I could not find a direct relationship between Moorish Idols and Islam.
On a side note, didn't Disney have to re-edit Alladin before putting it on video? I remember how funny the "Arabian Nights" opening song was in the theatre, "Where they'll cut off your nose if they don't like your face" or something like that?
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 10:53 AM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Yes they did.

Apparently we can't even joke about the brutality in the legal system in certain countries. Maybe cutting off hands to stop theft works, maybe not. But we can't joke about it? hmm.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:17 AM   #12
Axle
Registered

Originally posted by Socrates

On a side note, didn't Disney have to re-edit Alladin before putting it on video? I remember how funny the "Arabian Nights" opening song was in the theatre, "Where they'll cut off your nose if they don't like your face" or something like that?
The following line: "Its barbaric, but hey- its home!"

Thats wierd, i watched that movie on Australian video and its still there. Guess they edited it for US video.
Axle Foley
Avid User of SereneScreen Aquarium
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:58 AM   #13
Samw
Registered

Another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg idol.jpg (118.2 KB, 572 views)
Samw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:30 AM   #14
Seafoam
The Fish Whisperer

Thumbs Down gill! ^__^

I love Moorish Idols, they's beautiful!! Yes, I'd like to see them. I'd also like to see a stingray, I love the way they move. Anyway, I have that Dick Mills book. I think it's so cool that a religion would hold this magnificent fish in such high regard. But it's not offensive, certainly, to use them in a screensaver, I would think. I mean, it's not like they are considered a holy god and worshipped by Moslems or anything....besides, yeah, Gill (my fave FN character) is a Moorish Idol! He lives in a tank and longs to break free to the ocean! Which makes sense, when you think about the species. ^.^
  16 year old FISH FREAK!
My fishies: Renshaw, & Alan (the plecs), Debbie (the pictus catfish), Kirk/Desi/Electra/Irving/Peggy (the tetras), Melvin, & Penny! RIP Mercedes...2/27/01-2/18/04 ;_; And RIP Gunther...we miss u...
FINDING NEMO RULES! I <3 Bubbles, Gill, & Gurgle ^_^
www.lassenart.com
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:07 PM   #15
IXNAY
Green Frog

Cooooooooooool and those crabs in the background, sweet
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 09:11 PM   #16
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Unless I'm mistaken, those are actually some kind of cleaner shrimp.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:50 PM   #17
Seafoam
The Fish Whisperer

shrimp

Yeahh!!!! Cleaner Shrimp like Jacques!! (Sorry ^__^ I love "Nemo" a little too much.)

Honestly, on the subject of the Moorish Idol being a sacred Islamic fish, I really don't think itwas a problem for Disney/Pixar to use the species anyway. I mean, I have Moorish Idols on my TOILET seat cover! They're everywhere. Everyone likes the way they look even though they don't know what they are. Anything with coral reef fish on it is liable to have an Idol on it, it seems.
  16 year old FISH FREAK!
My fishies: Renshaw, & Alan (the plecs), Debbie (the pictus catfish), Kirk/Desi/Electra/Irving/Peggy (the tetras), Melvin, & Penny! RIP Mercedes...2/27/01-2/18/04 ;_; And RIP Gunther...we miss u...
FINDING NEMO RULES! I <3 Bubbles, Gill, & Gurgle ^_^
www.lassenart.com
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:42 AM   #18
feldon34
Forum Administrator

You've gotta be kidding.

Disney and Pixar sure didn't shy away from having a Moorish Idol in Finding Nemo.

And Jim putting an accurate-looking Moorish Idol into the Aquarium would be interpreted as a respectful action.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:15 AM   #19
Jim Sachs
Developer

The first book that I ever got on saltwater fish pointed out the link between Islam and the Moorish idol. I have since come to understand that it's not that big a deal, so I'm planning to add it when I have time.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-16-2003, 12:06 PM   #20
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

Angry I hope it gets included

I hope it gets included. I don't think you have to worry about it offending anyone. As for them getting mad at the Disney interpretation which had scars on it and a nasty attitude, who knows. Not having anything to do with this thread, unless Muslim's plan an attack on Disney because they are upset about the fish. lol I'm planning a trip to Disney in a few weeks to propose to my girlfriend on top of the Castle during a dinner. I bought the ring, made reservations and everything. She has no idea. I may ask prolific to etch an I Love You Cheryl on the crystal if it is less than 100 bucks one day since the Will You Marry Me on the Crystal idea will come to pass after I propose in Disney. Hope to see a new version of the Aquarium soon. Take care - Kona
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive