Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-05-2002, 03:19 PM   #1
foxy87
Registered

Angry hi saches

Hope he gets the aquarium done soon because I will be geting it when it comes out.
foxy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:39 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

What's a saches?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:41 PM   #3
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

hellu foksu86. Nice spelin dere

/Tiny friend of Mr. Sachs
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 04:18 PM   #4
lasermail
Registered

Embarassed

Néih hóu Jou san - Foxy87 pleased to hear you are looking forward to new releases, you are not alone, same goes for all of Jim's faithful followers. By the way dont mind the very gentle mocking about your spelling... ? tiny friend?? thats a very western thing and isn't meant to be offensive.

With the greatest of respect though chaps its just a touch insensitive? though 100% accidental, such is offensive in the east.
lasermail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 05:34 PM   #5
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Well, um...sorry about that. It seems to me that there's a lot of people who cannot manage to get Jim's last name right which makes us think "Oh, not again" and perhaps react a bit harsh.

I can understand trying to speak (Ok, write) in a language that's not one's own (I'm really more comfortable with Swedish), but to not take the time to read through your own post enough to get the person's name right, feels somewhat rude aswell.

Don't mind the "Tiny ..." thing. I try and always sign my posts with "Tiny" and then something related to the post. Kinda like:

/Tiny Explanation
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:56 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I can understand misspelling a word that you are not familiar with. But misspelling a word that's displayed elsewhere on the screen (in the URL, in the banner, etc.)?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 04:35 PM   #7
lasermail
Registered

Thanks Tiny for that considerate response!. I always enjoy reading your posts! Perception is a difficult thing when just reading someones words and not always knowing the tone of the writer - so I must apologise for not understanding your use of "Tiny" in future I will not permit myself "perceptions" on the words alone.

The use of the "e" in saches instead of sachs could be a genuine mistake, you must understand that when english is not your mother tongue you rely on your learning and its surprising difficult to master some elements of english, its hard to remember when its sachs sach's or saches or sachs's - true, we can check the site for help and a hint, but does everyone understand all they read?

Never mind enough said, the forum isn't about lessons in language, but perhaps some will understand my point, it's a truely global world this "internet".

/Peace and Respect to all!
Old 12-11-2002, 05:04 PM   #8
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

If I tried to communicate in a forum that wasn't in my language and I made a boo-boo, I would expect some good-natured ribbing.

Say hello to my tiny friend!
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 05:47 PM   #9
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Thanks Laser – Let me just say that I, for one, believe my English skills have benefitted greatly from putting together ~800 posts here. I understand everyone don't share the opinion, but anyone should feel free to comment on my spelling and sentences (In accordance with Murphy's law this post probably has some typos within it. )

Ceph,
Hello!

/Tiny Absence Until Monday

Old 12-11-2002, 05:52 PM   #10
Swede
Registered

- benefited
- everyone doesn't

/Mr. Besserwisser

4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//

Last edited by Swede; 12-11-2002 at 05:56 PM.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 06:08 PM   #11
cjmaddy
Registered

benefit [ben'i_fit],
noun any advantage, natural or other; a performance, match, etc whose proceeds go to one of the company, a player, or other particular person or cause (also adjective); a right in the form of money or services enjoyed under social security or insurance schemes; a kindness; a favour.
verb transitive to do good to; to be to the advantage of.
verb intransitive to obtain advantage or good (with from or by):

ben'efiting (also
ben'efitting present participle); past tense and past participle
ben'efited (also
ben'efitted).
benefit of clergy see under clergy.
benefit of inventory (Scots law; historical) an heir's privilege of securing himself against unlimited liability for his ancestor, by producing within a year an inventory of his heritage or real estate, to the extent of which alone he was liable.
benefit of the doubt presumption of innocence when culpability is uncertain.

benefit society a friendly society.
[Middle English benfet, from Anglo-French benfet, from Latin benefactum]

The Chambers Dictionary. Copyright © 1994 by Chambers Harrap Publishers, Ltd. All rights reserved.

---------------------------------

Yer pays yer money, yer takes yer choice!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 06:40 PM   #12
Swede
Registered

I stand corrected. Hehe. Never trust Microsoft Word's spell check. It drew a red line under benefitted. Don't you just love those (also '...') spelling alternatives!

Middle English benfet, from Anglo-French benfet, from Latin benefactum
Note: "benfet" means bone-fat in swedish, whatever that is.
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 11:06 PM   #13
chaosworrier
Registered

OT: benfet

Doesn't "bone fat" refer to the marrow?

And no, I don't mean the vegetable... ;>

^_^

Chaos.
Soylent Green is People!
chaosworrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 11:31 PM   #14
diverslung
underwater comix

www.mykeself.de - myself is mykeself
diverslung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 06:56 AM   #15
cjmaddy
Registered

I have twice before stated my admiration for those conversing in another language!
Makes you think doesn't it!
The rest of the world is expected to cope with our language - (English), yet it seems that hardly anyone here (England) speaks it, or writes it, correctly, ( ..... in America they haven't used it for years! )

I live in the north of England, - so I'm as guilty as anyone.

Try to decipher this one! ...... 'Ast getten eny, - no am bowt!' - ?
Old 12-12-2002, 11:15 AM   #16
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

( ..... in America they haven't used it for years! )
That was a cheap shot, accurate, but a low blow. After all, only in America can you study Ebonics.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:08 PM   #17
cjmaddy
Registered

Ebonics - ?

You got me with that one Patrick, had to look it up on the CAL website, but I doubt 'African American Vernacular English' will help much with 'Ast getten eny, - no am bowt!' ............ but I could be wrong!
Old 12-16-2002, 04:20 PM   #18
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Hi family!

I'm learning stuff aswell as laughing my pants off so keep it coming!

Major Amusement (Couldn't bear with the Tiny label on this one)

Old 12-16-2002, 05:21 PM   #19
lasermail
Registered

We English have developed many dialects...and spelling is often a matter remembering not to write it how you say it!

Americans have taken English (dialects) and developed the whole into a new "Slang"auge of their own...most of which is "way" easier to understand and seems you can go on to spell it how "ya" like?....inventing new words at the rate they do...is "gonna" keep that Ebonics thing going for a "hellava" long time?

/ okay? <<<< ...thats the most common word spoken in english...and its not even english! its lakota! (native american)
Old 12-17-2002, 03:25 AM   #20
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Sorta () related: You know that hushing sound you make when you want someone to be quiet. Evidently that's the only word used all over the world for the same thing (it's spelled differently of course, but anyways)

/Liten Sköldpadda

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive