Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #141
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

I hope she has a pass if she has to pay. By the way, Great shots, Keep them coming.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #142
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Thanks.
I have a yearly membership - It's my favorite aquarium albeit small. This is where I've filmed the bat rays, the recent nemo, the star fish, sharks, jellyfish movies I've posted in the other thread. Otherwise, their entry fee is a bit on the high side, imo for repeat visits. I have a +1 membership so I can take a guest in with me. Happy to take you in if you ever want to visit and I'm not busy at the time. There's an extra 15-20 seconds of goby at the end of the Nemo video in the fish aquarium thread where it was hanging out just below Nemo. It stops, looks at me and then goes into a hole.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:29 AM   #143
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Damn, you can't pass that up guys. I'd come, but that's a little far for me.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #144
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Ok, here's an eel video I took yesterday at the aquarium. I don't care much for the eels because for the most part they just sit there kinda idle. I suppose it would be horrific if they ate their roommates. You can see the fishes in the same tank aren't even scare of them. I'll post it here rather than the fish aquarium thread since eels are on your SereneScreen 3.0 list.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:50 AM   #145
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Real nice. Keep them coming dear. We Love them.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #146
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Those look like standard green Moray's, I never was fond of those either. The Zebra I had is much more colorful, and they don't have teeth, where all the rest do. I used to go to the local Krogers and get 1 large Tiger shrimp every few days to feed mine. It got to where I could peck on the top of the tank and he would come up and stick his head out of the water and get it before disappearing back into his hole I made for him. Moray's don't like alot of light, because they can't see well in much brightness, but they will come out and swim around every so often where you can get a good look at them.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #147
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

I didn't know that. I sure hope the light in the aquarium isn't hurting their eyes.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #148
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I don't think it hurts them, just a matter of not being able to see as good as they would like. If you had a really bright light on all the time then that would be different.

The thing with the lights was one of the reasons Jim first decided to put one in the tank so he could tie it in with the changing lights in the aquarium.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #149
cjmaddy
Registered

Those are really great videos , Minn. - You've obviously got your camera lens nice and close to the tank. - I'm going to have to start using my movie-mode more often. - The quality you are achieving is most impressive. ... I'm quite jealous!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:01 PM   #150
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Thanks. It's amazing what a big difference a focussed shot or video makes. Also lot of practice helps too -- tossed out a LOT of out-of-focussed videos. Now that the number of my focussed shots are getting higher, it's easier to just delete the out-of-focus ones. Used to think "well, an out-of-focus shot was better than no shot..." Thank goodness for the digital camera. Certainly couldn't afford to practice with a film camera.

Happy you finally got the broadband and can download these videos in a few minutes or less instead of one video being an overnight project. yay!

Old 09-25-2006, 02:25 AM   #151
Falz
Registered

Gawd, saw this title and nearly had a heart attack. I thought this meant it had been released!

Oh well, nice to see the progress update. As it is, DA has left Sachs in the dust, beta 1.050 is amazing. He recently redid the textures and added proper reflectivity to their scales, made behaviour even better, it's just awesome.

Don't take this as an attack on Jim (as the more zealous of you will), MA engine is many years old now. Can't wait for 3.0, glad to have something to tide me over until then.
Falz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:33 AM   #152
spiralmonkey
Developer

I think when Jim's new tank comes out it's going to be pretty amazing. I'm scared to think how good it will look.
Developer of Dream Aquarium
spiralmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:47 AM   #153
Jim Sachs
Developer

I plan to hit about 20 more aquarium stores tomorrow looking for source material. Haven't had much luck lately.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:34 AM   #154
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by spiralmonkey:
. . . I'm scared to think how good it will look.  
No you're not. DA is super nice and will do fine. There's room for both.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:21 AM   #155
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I plan to hit about 20 more aquarium stores tomorrow looking for source material. Haven't had much luck lately.  
So the next answer is to have an Aquarium company come out, install a tank, and the corals and fish you want and set up a maintenance contract. Add up all your travel expenses looking for fish and divide by 12, is it more than having your own tank would cost?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:37 AM   #156
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Ditto, you should have ~175 gallon tank there Jim. That would give you room to do different things, and you could do your HD shots without any hassle at all.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #157
Jim Sachs
Developer

I have considered it, but the logistics just wouldn't work out. Setting up a large reef tank is a major undertaking. Many corals and anemones take weeks or months to bloom to their full glory. We are out of state half the time, so a daily service would be necessary just to keep the critters alive. Plus, we'll be moving as soon as this house sells, so the whole thing would have to be dismantled. Let's say I spend $10,000 on a 200-gallon tank and aquarium service. I can do quite a bit of traveling for that amount, especially driving trips.

But the main drawback is that I don't know what I'd like to include in the tank until I see it. Often when I go to an aquarium shop, I'll see something new. Is it better to buy it, take it home, install it in a tank of my own, wait weeks for it to recover - or photograph it where it is?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #158
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

10K????? Uh, I don't know what prices are like out there, but I could set up a 180 gallon here for less than half of that. The tank and stand would be the largest expense and thats about 1,400.00 for a 180 gallon.

My best guess here would be about 3,000 - 3,500. Then an auto feeder if you are gone for a few days, and unless you are gone for more than a month and miss waterchanges and it goes south you should be fine. You would still be faced with the take down for moving though.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #159
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I have considered it, but the logistics just wouldn't work out. Setting up a large reef tank is a major undertaking. Many corals and anemones take weeks or months to bloom to their full glory. We are out of state half the time, so a daily service would be necessary just to keep the critters alive.  
You can get an autofeeder.

Let's say I spend $10,000 on a 200-gallon tank and aquarium service.  
I wasn't talking about Jacques Cousteau's son doing it, just a local shop.

I see your points, but considering the resolution of textures you need and success rate you've had so far with finding willing shops and aquariums with the right lighting, I think getting my own tank would be tempting.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:44 AM   #160
memilm
Registered

The best thing for the own tank is you can set it up THE WAY YOU WANT IT! You could also search for people who love fish and aquaristic in the neiborhood of your new house. I'm just thinking about an separate small room with no house access only for the tank, there would be possible to take care of it in your absence. I'd really like to do this for you for free, but unfortunatelly I don't live there.
I'm only thinking in the future when you need to observe the fish/creatures movement for weeks or months... What do you like most: to sit and think in a totally quiet room, day and night if you want, or take some shots/films of tanks that are visited every day for many people, with differences of light ambient and artistic arangement...
Those travelling I've only use to make some notes about what for fishes/creatures are needed.
By the way how did the prolific the observations for the GA?
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive