Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-19-2003, 06:14 AM   #21
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

MadBob, it's not that feature, no:
Attached Images
File Type: gif imagez1.gif (2.1 KB, 284 views)
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:38 AM   #22
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

I'd like to see a combination of "preset fish selection" and "cycle fish every so often". You could save your fish selections and have one or another be used when the aquarium starts up, and also have the option of the aquarium automatically cycling through your other preset fish lists every so often, the length of time be adjustable with a slider.
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:44 AM   #23
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by MadBob
always on top in windowed mode
It's like Ragu, it's in there!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:44 AM   #24
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by CephaloP
I'd like to see a combination of "preset fish selection" and "cycle fish every so often". You could save your fish selections and have one or another be used when the aquarium starts up, and also have the option of the aquarium automatically cycling through your other preset fish lists every so often, the length of time be adjustable with a slider.
As long as you can make it simple enough for your grandmother to use.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-19-2003, 11:51 AM   #25
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

I think the actual concept is easier than my attempt to describe it.
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 04:57 PM   #26
GMarowski
Registered

I too like the idea of having a setting where you can have your preseleted (or randomized) fish swim off the screen, and replaced with a different fish from another preset (or randomized list).

The 7 fish limit is fine by me. As I like the realisim this gives the tank because it's not too overcrowded.

But it would be cool to have one fish swim off the screen every so often and have a different fish swim back on.

Just my 2 cents... thanks for asking!
GMarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 05:13 PM   #27
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The off-screen switch has been thumbs-downed. But the Aquarium doing the equivalent of pressing the SPACE bar twice has not.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:43 PM   #28
GMarowski
Registered

Feldon Wrote:
The off-screen switch has been thumbs-downed. But the Aquarium doing the equivalent of pressing the SPACE bar twice has not.

Why was the off screen switch shot down? Too difficult to program or just not enough interest, or what? Just curious.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2003, 05:51 PM   #29
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Creating and destroying fish models on-the-fly causes video memory corruption/problems in Direct3D.

When you press the SPACE bar twice, the 3D world is completely erased and rebuilt, preventing these kinds of problems.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:02 PM   #30
GMarowski
Registered

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info!

This is still the most awesome screensaver I've ever seen!
Old 03-19-2003, 08:21 PM   #31
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

I just downloaded the demo on my work comp, other than the new fish and controls, the background still looks the same as the old one. Is the 3d background finished?
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail"-W2
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:27 PM   #32
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

kona,

The 3D background still has quite a ways to go. That comes after the completion of the freshwater aquarium, along with a few other updates that will go with it.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 11:14 PM   #33
Floyd312
Registered

First I want to say "Great Job, Jim!" Marine Aquarium 2 looks great. I was excited and appreciative to get the email announcement.

I, too, would like to see the option to Cycle/Change the fish after a fixed length of time. I like the idea of the "off-screen switch" but I understand the technical difficulties that Feldon mentioned earlier. As an alternatave perhaps an option to have the lights smoothly fade to black before switching the fish might help smooth the transition.

Don
Floyd312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 11:40 PM   #34
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by kona001
I just downloaded the demo on my work comp, other than the new fish and controls, the background still looks the same as the old one. Is the 3d background finished?
The 3D background, which will require an unknown amount of creative and development time (primarily because nobody has ever created anything this complex except Pixar and they don't need to generate 30 frames per second!), is barely started. Think 2004...
Old 03-20-2003, 05:06 AM   #35
Wizwad
Only me...

Well, I've had a chance to play around with v2 a little now, and I love it even more than I did before.

I did have one niggle. I installed it and thought, 'Hmmm something's not quite right.' Then I realised it was the CalcNormals and looked for a setting to toggle them on. Of course, such did not exist, so I dived into the registry to turn them on there. Ahhh... Bliss!

It would be nice, maybe, to have an 'advanced' tab in the settings which has options such as the CalcNormals available for toggling rather than risking going into the registry, but at the moment that would be frosting on the cake.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 12:41 PM   #36
cjmaddy
Registered

Mark,
Just press the N key! ..... Works for me!

(Tiny, - Please, - don't say it!)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:51 PM   #37
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

Angry

Looking foreward to 2004 then =)

Can the new Geforce FX really generate cinema quality scenes like in Finding Nemo?? Or is that all hype??
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:14 PM   #38
feldon34
Forum Administrator

My

tells me that the FX is an incremental upgrade to their other cards, nothing revolutionary (except for the 200 CFPM fan).

If Finding Nemo could be done real-time, why are they still using several hundred computers with over a petabyte of storage and gigabytes of RAM calculating for several months to produce it?

Some of the frames in Monsters, Inc. took several hours to render because of Sully's hair.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:28 PM   #39
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Now there was a good movie I really enjoyed that.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 07:02 PM   #40
EddieWan
JediMaster

Me too. I loved monster Inc. and can't wait for nemo
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
EddieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive