Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-04-2002, 05:57 PM   #181
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Anyone who wants to preview Fish Picker 3.0 can download the alpha release here: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker_a.zip

10 lighting presets are added with more to follow. Plus you can now launch the aquarium in windowed mode... well, sort of... It still launches fullscreen, but you need to set a timer slightly longer than the loading time of the aquarium on your system.

If you find any bugs or other strangitudes please post them here.
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 02:12 PM   #182
memilm
Registered

I saw no replies to the new picker version..?
I am in holliday in Spain but I will try it soon when I come home.
Many thanks in advance...
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 04:39 PM   #183
hpman77
Blue Angel

Looks fine here, MM... as always, great work!!

memilm, I hope you'll enjoy your time in spain where are you going? anywhere but the north, I'm sure LOL most ppl go to the south- southeast of spain looking for sun. Here at the north we mainly have rain and clouds although I love living here. Sea, Beaches, Rivers, Valleys, Mountains... and everything at less than 1 hour in car Ppl have reasons to call Cantabria "the land of green and blue"... although here the summers are a bit colder than in the rest of spain
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 12:20 PM   #184
cjmaddy
Registered

Mountainmaster, - I continue to be indebted to you!

If it's not Hosts files, it's your splendid Picker prog. The latest is very impressive, but I think it's a bit premature to say much until you have had chance to finish it! - bugs apart of course, - of which I haven't found any!
I do miss the separate buttons for 'Aquarium' and 'Aquarium Wide' though, also no 'Exit' button?
I feel very guilty making ANY criticism. - Something like this really does need to be part of any future SSA.

Keep up the good work!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 12:25 PM   #185
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Unfortunately, none of the ideas in Mountainmaster's fish picker or the prototypes I did many months ago is being considered for future versions. Instead, the new Settings panel is being designed in a vacuum.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 04:02 PM   #186
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

I do miss the separate buttons for 'Aquarium' and 'Aquarium Wide' though
There is now an 'intelligent' checkbox for the widescreen version. If you have both standard and wide you should be able to choose like the picture shows. If only one of them is present it should pick the right one and then disable itself.
also no 'Exit' button?
While debugging I was using the 'Revert' option a lot and got tired of going to the menu each time. So I decided the 'Exit' button had to go again in favor of a 'Revert' button. There is already an 'Exit' button in the upper right corner you see, it's the one looking like 'X'.
Attached Images
File Type: gif launch.gif (1.4 KB, 341 views)
Old 09-06-2002, 05:46 PM   #187
cjmaddy
Registered

I agree, the new system does do everything the previous one did (and more!). It's just a personal preference, I liked the single click on one or other button, for wide or normal, but then I'm lazy!
It's the same with the 'Exit' - I had got used to the bottom right, - fear not, I shall get used to the top right!

The addition of Windowed mode after 'x' seconds, and the Lighting Settings are both nice features, - pity about the sliders, - those would have been nice, but I think this system will be just as good with the extra presets you plan. I am also looking forward to the other customization details you have in the pipeline ..... can't wait!

This program has come a log way since it's start, and it continues to get better and better, I find it very sad that Morgan says that, - "... none of the ideas in Mountainmaster's fish picker ... is being considered for future versions."

I think that is very short-sighted! ..... What do the rest of you think?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 01:03 PM   #188
memilm
Registered

Angry

Hi hpman77,

I am in Cap Salou in holiday, I saw for a few days the Aquarium in Barcelona with many fish included in Jims aquarium, but Jims seems better to see at... and not so many people around you...
Here are the weather excelent, only 1 day for 10 with rain, a little bit wind but very good sun.
For MM can you introduce an "ESC"-keyboard shortcut li9ke the SS has for exit or an Exit button with a keyboard shortcut like "strg"+X or "X", I like to use keyboard for all the function and less klicks...
Old 09-10-2002, 04:48 PM   #189
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
Why not just use Windows default hot-key to close the program?
just do Ctrl+F4 and the programe will terminated!!
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 05:53 PM   #190
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Version 3.0 is now finished (I hope): http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip

James, you mean Alt+F4 of course... and yes that works like a charm.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:56 PM   #191
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Oops, found and fixed a bug. If you already downloaded version 3.0 please re-download to get v.3.0.1
Old 09-11-2002, 05:16 AM   #192
apollo
Registered

Great program Mountainmaster I was wondering when the freshwater version of the aquarium does come out will you have a program for it??? I hope so...Thanks again for a great program It just keeps getting better & better...
apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 04:37 PM   #193
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

when the freshwater version of the aquarium does come out will you have a program for it???
Since a new settings panel will be designed for the freshwater aquarium we'll just have to wait and see if it requires add-ons. Reading Morgan's previous post I expect we will not find any of the more advanced features from my Fish Picker or Morgan's prototype in there. Even though I share the disappointment that some of you expressed about that, I think I understand the underlying reason. Most of us here are advanced users and we like lots of options and customizations, the more the better, right? The average aquarium user however will most likely get confused with that many options, and will either ask for support or in his/her annoyance simply drag the aquarium into the ever patient recycle bin.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:44 PM   #194
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Right now, new users of the Aquarium get very confused with the drop-down menus. I'd say less than 10% of people who purchase the Aquarium have ever SEEN the Settings panel.

Back before the Aquarium defaulted to 7 {RANDOM} slots, there were thousands of people running the Aquarium with only the 7 default fish.

So the question is, for those 5-10% who discover the Settings panel, how complex should it be?

Well, I designed my prototype in such a way that it is easy for someone new to the aquarium and computers to pick fish. I also put more advanced settings in, but on a separate page.

I hope this does not sound like an ego trip, but for me to be happy with a new settings panel for the aquarium, it will have to be at least as intuitive as what I prototyped.

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...ttings102.html
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 09-11-2002, 07:07 PM   #195
EVERRET
Leopard Shark

10 Highscores

Exclamation SETTINGS PANAL

Feldon I agree on all your points 100%. My 5 year old niece now launches the aquarium with mountainmasters new easy to use drag and drop fish picker panal, Its so simple its now fun for them to choose the fish! For anyone that designs the next version of fish panals needs to try yours first to get the feel of "how it should be". If it is possible i would like to have a way to change the max FPS from max 60fps to 80 or 90 max fps, would this be possible? Again thanks mountainmaster for your hard work it is very appriciated!
EVERRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 08:09 PM   #196
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I just downloaded 3.0r1 of the Picker and I think it's great. It's something that anyone developing the Settings panel for the Aquarium should aspire for.

The only thing that was not immediately intuitive was having 8 fish slots when Wide is unchecked at the bottom.

Other than that, it seems very nice and hope something similar will make its way into the Aquarium.

I am inclined to put a prominent link to your fish picker on the fan website.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:18 AM   #197
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

A new version is out. Fish Picker 3.0.2: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip

What's new: Additions to the menu with shortcut keys, more accurate comparison with currently applied aquarium settings.
The only thing that was not immediately intuitive was having 8 fish slots when Wide is unchecked at the bottom.
'Wide' checkmark now changes too when you switch widescreen mode on/off, but can still be set to the opposite manually.
i would like to have a way to change the max FPS from max 60fps to 80 or 90 max fps
I agree, 60 is just too low. It still lies in the grey area that to some people looks jittery and to others smooth. I am not sure if you meant this to be a request for Fish Picker, but I see no way to change that through an external program. So it's up to Jim if he feels like changing this...

Last edited by Mountainmaster; 09-14-2002 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:35 PM   #198
feldon34
Forum Administrator

This program is really coming along nicely. Of course I am coming late to the party with comments about it. Sorry about that.

Ok, I'm glad you added the behavior for the Widescreen menu to check "Wide" and enable the 8th fish slot. But clicking the "Wide" checkbox does not display the 8th fish slot. Under what condition would you want the Wide checkbox marked but only the option of selecting 7 fish?

Also there is a little inconsistancy between the Starfish settings panel and the Lighting settings panel. In the Starfish settings panel, clicking OK is really like clicking "Apply" because it does not close the window. In the Lighting panel, clicking OK applies the settings and closes the window. I am not saying it is wrong, only curious about the difference between the two.

I have to ask, does clicking "Close" revert the settings back to the way they were before the window was opened? I am aware that maintaining Undo buffers is a pain, I was just curious.

I would have "Drag and drop fish to the slots on the left" visible at all times.

The minimizing to the System Tray is very nice. I would have a dialogue box come up the first time saying "Fish Picker will now minimize to the system tray." The first time I minimized it, I had to hunt for it before I saw an Addis butterfly in the system tray.

I would be inclined to make it so if you double-click on the Random icon, it sets all 7 (8?) icons to Random.

My first approach to your program is, what can I accomplish without using the menus? Maybe it is a strange approach, but if I were writing this, I would remove all the menus and put "Fish Picker Settings" and "Advanced Settings" buttons. Again, it's just a design I would do, everyone does things differently.

I have to say, you have put an amazing amount of effort into this, especially the cursors/icons. For someone not getting paid, I think you have done a professional job here. And kudos for the thorough Read Me file/documentation.

Last edited by feldon34; 09-14-2002 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2002, 06:47 PM   #199
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

I would like to thank Morgan and everyone here for the positive feedback you all gave me. It has been a major source of motivation for me to keep developing this program.

Under what condition would you want the Wide checkbox marked but only the option of selecting 7 fish?
You are right about that one, but I use the opposite - Wide unchecked and selecting 8 fish - a lot when running in fullscreen mode. The whole "launch module" is a little out of place since it is not part of the predefined settings, but I wanted it prominently on the main form because it is such a good feature.
Also there is a little inconsistancy between the Starfish settings panel and the Lighting settings panel.
Not really. The way it works for both is that settings are not applied when clicking "OK", but are written to the main form. If the main form is minimized however they are applied immediately. You must have observed this when those 2 conditions were different. Also in this new version text can revert back from red to black when a setting is chosen that matches the current one. In that case it may look like it was applied when in fact it was already there.
does clicking "Close" revert the settings back to the way they were before the window was opened?
No, nothing is changed until you hit "OK" (or double-click in the lighting window). "Close" does just what it says. Maybe "Cancel" might be more appropriate here.
I would have "Drag and drop fish to the slots on the left" visible at all times.
Personally I would find that irritating and the "mouseover" seemed like a good compromise.
The first time I minimized it, I had to hunt for it
I always forget that not everyone has an EMPTY system tray like I have most of the time. I do like your suggestion. I will consider it for the next version.
if you double-click on the Random icon, it sets all 7 (8?) icons to Random
Good idea. And it could work for fishes as well. I was also thinking of making a copy function when you drag from one slot to another.
I would remove all the menus
I agree that frequently accessed items do not belong in menus. The main advantage of menus for me is that they provide an easy way to define shortcut keys in Visual Basic.

Last edited by Mountainmaster; 09-14-2002 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:51 PM   #200
memilm
Registered

Smile Cycle between all saved "files"

Hi MM,

the selections for the lights are great.Thanks.
In my holliday in Spain I had another idea, I don't know if you like it...
I think the crown of the picker program will be the posibility to cycle between the saved presetted "files". I know that Jim will not implement something like this in the SS, I also know that it will not see naturally, but I think that is not to hard for you to stop
SS put the new setting in the registry and start SS again.
It will be nice to implement this and to hear the opinion of the other users.
As options I think that a cycletime (1-999 min) then an random setting or one by other will be enough.
Thank you, and I'm excited about your opinion and the sugesstion from the others.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive