Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #101
Jim Sachs
Developer

The video is very well-done. It must have taken forever to get all those eye-blinks drawn in. They even follow the head movements perfectly.

I was thinking of doing a similar spoof with "face-computing" - using eye-tracking and facial movements to replace the mouse. Since there is already software that can track your eye movements and position the cursor to where you were looking on the screen, I thought it would be funny to carry things a step further, adding left eye-blink for left mouse-button, two left-blinks to double-click, wiggle nose for mouse-wheel, etc. In the animation, I would be on one side of the screen, dead-panning the narration while my face would be going through hilarious rapid contortions. On the other side of the screen, the resulting computer input would be shown - button-clicking, cut, paste, delete, moving icons around, etc. I ended up realizing it would be too much work to produce.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #102
feldon34
Forum Administrator

After Effects has movement tracking built-in. I can replace the side of a building in a shaky camera shot even if it's changing perspective. Locking the movement of added CGI to existing footage is getting very easy now.

And when you do tracking, you can redirect the output of the tracking data into the position, rotation, and size of any other layer or object.

I suggest looking at FreddieW's videos on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/freddiew

Some good ones:

His Behind-the-Scenes channel is here:
http://www.youtube.com/freddiew2

This is a guy doing this stuff out of his garage in a weekend.

The best website I've seen for learning After Effects is VideoCopilot.net. If you watch Fringe, the opening title sequence is by that guy (Andrew Kramer) who has also done a ton of other TV effects. His basic training is what I suggest.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #103
Jim Sachs
Developer

Neat! Maybe someday I'll be able to afford After Effects.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #104
feldon34
Forum Administrator

You can download it from Adobe and play with it for 30 days.

I would suggest watching some of the tutorials at VideoCopilot.net and see what you think. The 10 part Basic Training is absolutely the way to go to initially learn it, but it's a bit boring as just something to watch, so I'd watch the bigger tutorials and see if the program looks like something you might fall in love with first. It is really astounding how much information is available for free at his website, and then the plugins, clip audio, clip explosions, etc. they offer are top-notch. He has explosions, dust clouds, puffs of smoke, blood splatter all shot in front of green screen and fully keyed so you can use it for anything.

You might be surprised to know that After Effects has a bit of scripting built into it allowing you to not only add random effects to any layer, but scale that effect or tie that effect to the effect of another layer.

The tutorial that blew my mind was adding a moving object to a shaky camera shot and it looks great. First, he stabilized the video, then he cut and paste the tracking data out of the video stabilization into a "tracking object". Now, the video was shaky again, but he had an object that moves and rotates to match the footage, giving you a key point you can then tie anything to.

After Effects turns tilting and panning a camera from the ground up to a mound of dirt and adding a castle to it into a 10 minute task.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 02-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #105
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Thanks. Those were cool.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #106
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for all the info, Morgan.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #107
feldon34
Forum Administrator

One more...

Old 02-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #108
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

That was good.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #109
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Well, half of the upcoming features has been implemented for some time. The background lighting has a multitude of options.. not sure if one could call it automatic, as it does require one to make choices. Still...

What's coming soon:

* Automatic lights. There will soon be a greatly expanded interface for customizing the background colors.
* New realistic fish behavior, including schooling, chasing, and pecking at corals.

PS to Jim.. you need to update the linked page and move item one to the what's new part
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #110
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Ralph:
What's coming soon:
* New realistic fish behavior, including schooling, chasing, and pecking at corals.  
I doubt we ever see this. I'd be happy if we just get the starfish acting the way it used to in MA2.6
Patrick

Last edited by feldon34; 02-24-2011 at 05:59 AM.
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #111
Racer57
Registered

I'd be happier with just a starfish (like the old one) and a moray eel (even if it doesn't move) in the cave.
Racer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #112
Jim Sachs
Developer

Hmmm, that may not be a bad idea. I hadn't really considered a partly-animated Moray Eel, which just hangs out in the cave. Might be doable.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #113
Racer57
Registered

Thank you for your consideration. On my second introductry SCUBA dive in Hawaii, I had a one on one experience with my instructor and she allowed me to take down a camera. I will never forget being close enough to a Moray eel (4 feet) to take a picture of it with just his head sticking out of a cave.
Racer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #114
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Hmmm, that may not be a bad idea. I hadn't really considered a partly-animated Moray Eel, which just hangs out in the cave. Might be doable.  
If anybody can do it, will be you. Besides, I have not seen very many eels in very many pc aquariums so it seems to me yours would be one of the rare ones, and knowing you, one of the best ones too.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #115
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

The only one that I saw that has one in is DiveVisions by Atlantis 3D. So yes I agree Jim can and should do it.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #116
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Definitely do-able, but probably wont get done. If we were to wager and put odds on it today, I would put it at a 1000 to 1 underdog over the next year. I'm very pessimistic that we see any improvements to MA3 ever again.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #117
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

God I hope your wrong. I love how the tank and fish look now. But it's not done. I would hate to see it stop now. We have been waiting 10 years for this too happen. I can wait a little more.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #118
JohnWho
Registered

As long as the Moray Eel is selectable, like the Starfish, what's the harm?
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #119
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by patscarr:
Definitely do-able, but probably wont get done. If we were to wager and put odds on it today, I would put it at a 1000 to 1 underdog over the next year. I'm very pessimistic that we see any improvements to MA3 ever again.  
Those sound like reasonable odds. - So, if I take you up on that, and place a £1 bet. - If Jim produces an MA3 improvement in the next 12 months, then you owe me £1000 ? ..... You're on!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #120
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

I'm in for a dollar too!! Don't want to take too big an advantage of Pat.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows